IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

These posts genuinely beg for a "reference LPSU that can be delivered within a reasonable timeframe" thread.  Lets face it, most if not all gains come simply from high quality power.

I have an Farad Super3 on the way to me, so can report on that though haven't a foggiest how it compares to the "chosen ones" SR4 / SR7s.

18 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

These posts genuinely beg for a "reference LPSU that can be delivered within a reasonable timeframe" thread.  Lets face it, most if not all gains come simply from high quality power.

I have an Farad Super3 on the way to me, so can report on that though haven't a foggiest how it compares to the "chosen ones" SR4 / SR7s.

We did have this one a while ago.  It never really got anywhere, but maybe it would be good resurrect it in hope of a Sean Jacobs versus SR-7 shoot out or something.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

15 hours ago, sandyk said:

Are you able to post an internal photo of Sean's PSU with the 400VA toroidal transformer ?

My Supply has 2 smaller transformers and the regulators are all onboard in one box, with a single umbilical. @Nenon's supply is based on the Innuos Statement, which has outbox DC regulation,  situated next to the motherboard and dual umbilical for shorter signal paths, one large transformer, I guess the 400VA version has an even larger transformer to take care of the 5A 12V rail required by the i9 9900K, (the statement only needs 1.5A) you can see the 'Statement' supply below to get an idea of quality:

http://www.the-ear.net/how-to/power-supply-design-innuos-statement

3 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

These posts genuinely beg for a "reference LPSU that can be delivered within a reasonable timeframe" thread.

Well we build and deliver about 25 JS-2s each month.  Choke-filtered, dual-rail, user-adjustable output voltages, true 7.4 amp continuous (@12V). Even ranked by @austinpop as performing above SR4 on a actual audio component:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/contributors/my-quest-for-a-new-dac-part-1-the-mytek-brooklyn-dac-with-uptone-js-2-power-supply-r716/

“What impact did an external PSU make on the sound quality of the Brooklyn+?

I had on hand 3 external PSUs that could power the Brooklyn+ adequately at 12V DC. After trying them all, along with the built in SMPS (switching mode power supply), here is my ranking, in terms of decreasing sound quality:
  1. Uptone Audio JS-2
  2. Paul Hynes SR-4
  3. SOtM sPS-500
  4. built-in SMPS
I had done a similar comparison of PSUs powering the SOtM tX-USBultra, and found the SR-4 delivered the best sound quality. While the SR-4 had really shone on the tX-USBultra, on the Brooklyn DAC+, it was the JS-2 that pulled ahead, and by quite a margin. Compared to the JS-2, the SR-4 (and the sPS-500) seemed to lack dynamism, and sounded polite and unexciting.”

And I never request payment earlier than one week from a guaranteed shipment date.  

By the way, I’d put the nice (and completely silent) R-core trans we use up against any toroidal any day. The difference is obvious right away.  

But sorry, despite many requests, we have no plans to produce a big multi-rail ATX supply or to offer custom build services.  
11 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Well we build and deliver about 25 JS-2s each month.  Choke-filtered, dual-rail, user-adjustable output voltages, true 7.4 amp continuous (@12V). Even ranked by @austinpop as performing above SR4 on a actual audio component:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/contributors/my-quest-for-a-new-dac-part-1-the-mytek-brooklyn-dac-with-uptone-js-2-power-supply-r716/

“What impact did an external PSU make on the sound quality of the Brooklyn+?

I had on hand 3 external PSUs that could power the Brooklyn+ adequately at 12V DC. After trying them all, along with the built in SMPS (switching mode power supply), here is my ranking, in terms of decreasing sound quality:
  1. Uptone Audio JS-2
  2. Paul Hynes SR-4
  3. SOtM sPS-500
  4. built-in SMPS
I had done a similar comparison of PSUs powering the SOtM tX-USBultra, and found the SR-4 delivered the best sound quality. While the SR-4 had really shone on the tX-USBultra, on the Brooklyn DAC+, it was the JS-2 that pulled ahead, and by quite a margin. Compared to the JS-2, the SR-4 (and the sPS-500) seemed to lack dynamism, and sounded polite and unexciting.”

And I never request payment earlier than one week from a guaranteed shipment date.  

By the way, I’d put the nice (and completely silent) R-core trans we use up against any toroidal any day. The difference is obvious right away.  

But sorry, despite many requests, we have no plans to produce a big multi-rail ATX supply or to offer custom build services.  

Looks like i may be able to use the JS-2. Now how does it compare with HDplex 200W if only single rail is used ?

I'm considering a JS-2 to power the EPS12V 8-pin on a motherboard.  I'd be surprised if it didn't outperform a 12V rail from an HDPLEX 400W ATX LPS.  I have no idea how it would compare to a Sean Jacobs DC-3 supply with Mundorf caps and the 5A high current boost module which prices out around 1000 euros.  This would be a very useful comparison.

An interesting issue.  Many of the latest gaming motherboards which people are considering due to good VRM etc. now have two 8-pin connectors because they're designed for overclocking.  How do you handle such a thing?  Do you use two 12V rails with half the amps for each connector or what?  I'm not sure whether such motherboards are stable if you only use one of the two 8-pin connectors.

What is more sensitive to the quality of LPS ... the 24-pin on a motherboard or the EPS12V?  I'm thinking of using a separate LPS for each of these.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

17 hours ago, austinpop said:

Now, let's get back on-topic to listening experiences again. 

PLEASE and Thank You.

I have been comparing Roon +StylusSQ and Stylus against each other on my Xeon.  I have to start some processor speed limit testing next.  I still feel that Stylus sounds better.  There is more dynamics and there is more detail.  I am going to get some other folks over to listen!

My son likes Stylus more for the simplicity of using their web interface and the speed of the UI.  I still like Roon for their look and feel.  

I will also bring the NUC back up and listen to it I have to validate the differences again.

NOTE: using the HDPLEX 400 and an FMC to the endpoint.  I am not trying to change network speed due to FMC.  The Xeon now has an Element-X  USB card.

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

PLEASE and Thank You.

I have been comparing Roon +StylusSQ and Stylus against each other on my Xeon.  I have to start some processor speed limit testing next.  I still feel that Stylus sounds better.  There is more dynamics and there is more detail.  I am going to get some other folks over to listen!

My son likes Stylus more for the simplicity of using their web interface and the speed of the UI.  I still like Roon for their look and feel.  

I will also bring the NUC back up and listen to it I have to validate the differences again.

NOTE: using the HDPLEX 400 and an FMC to the endpoint.  I am not trying to change network speed due to FMC.  The Xeon now has an Element-X  USB card.

Do you mean Element M card?  I got one of these to try in my Intel NUC, but it requires 12v and 3.3v from the PCIE bus.  The adapter I tried provided 12v.  Will try the JCAT in time (no power from PCIE bus required).  

2 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Do you mean Element M card?

Matrix Element M and Element X are streamer/DACs.  I think @bobfa means the Element H, which is the latest Matrix USB card.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

2 minutes ago, rickca said:

Matrix Element M and Element X are streamer/DACs.  I think @bobfa means the Element H, which is the latest Matrix USB card.

Apologies I have the Element H myself (ready to go back to the seller) due to it requiring PCIE bus voltage (as noted above).  In bobfa's case may not be a big deal to be honest given system is already powered by LPSUs, though I'd prefer to isolate power from system with the JCAT card as mentioned.

I confirmed this by setting external power and connecting a 12v DC feed, but disconnecting the PCIE 12v feed on the adapter for the NUC; would not power up at all.  Shame.

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

I cannot type : Element-H USB card.  As a side note I got an email blast that Element stuff is available at Moon-Audio in the USA.  I will report on any notes over the USB card on the thread about USB cards.

1 minute ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

I have the Element H myself

So how did it sound, and what did you compare it to?  It's around $250, so about half the price of the JCAT USB Femto card.

8 minutes ago, rickca said:

So how did it sound, and what did you compare it to?  It's around $250, so about half the price of the JCAT USB Femto card.

TBH I'm not going to even try.  PC "server" is not fully optimised, will require moving into a different room (and dirtying up the rest of the power feed on Hifi).  From past experience of temporarily powering up a JCAT on ATX internal power, it was ... ugly.  External was night and day.

If anyone can confirm the Element H can be powered externally only i will happily try it... but I don't think you can.

2 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

@Nenon's supply is based on the Innuos Statement, which has outbox DC regulation,  situated next to the motherboard and dual umbilical for shorter signal paths, one large transformer,

Let me clarify something. Sean did not do that. It was a DIY project I did. I used his regulators and recap modules and placed them the way I described (similarly to the way it's done on the Statement). I ordered a large transformer by his specs for this project. I wanted it to be massively oversized and the best build quality. 

As far as I am aware Sean does not offer what I have done. It's a tedious job to mount and wire everything. It's not that complex but takes a lot of time to do.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Many of the latest gaming motherboards which people are considering due to good VRM etc. now have two 8-pin connectors because they're designed for overclocking.  How do you handle such a thing?  Do you use two 12V rails with half the amps for each connector or what?  I'm not sure whether such motherboards are stable if you only use one of the two 8-pin connectors.

I use one 12V rail. Although you have an 8-pin connector, four of the pins are the DC+ and the other four are the DC-. I mean they are paralleled on the motherboard and are not separate inputs. At least that's how they are on my Asrock gaming motherboard. I think the reason they use 8-pins instead of 4 is to end up with a higher gauge wire when you combine four parallel wires from the power supply to the motherboard.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

I respect you and John a lot, just from the posts I have read. And I would never even try to go against anything John says about that stuff. Not to argue (don't really want to do that), but to provide another perspective. I had an argument about a R-core transformer (that looks very similar to yours on the outside) with a DAC manufacturer. And I tried his transformer. To make a long story short, his R-core transformer worked better on his DAC, but not on the computer (seperated in a different chassis like I have described earlier). One of the differences was that while his transformer was oversized, it was still much smaller than the toroidal I used. And the toroidal I used was much more expensive, had electrostatic shield, GOSS band, and every trick in the book to reduce noise (some of which might have been done on the R-core too). This does not tell ANYTHING about YOUR "R-core" transformer, but it convinced me as an end user (not a manufacturer) not to look back. Also, given that the power supply I use took about 3-4 months to completely break-in, one probably needs about 6 months of parallel running to determine the true performance of each transformer. I did not spend 6 months on this test, so take my word with a grain of salt. But for me, I am sticking to the oversized toroidal. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

19 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I use one 12V rail. Although you have an 8-pin connector, four of the pins are the DC+ and the other four are the DC-. I mean they are paralleled on the motherboard and are not separate inputs. At least that's how they are on my Asrock gaming motherboard. I think the reason they use 8-pins instead of 4 is to end up with a higher gauge wire when you combine four parallel wires from the power supply to the motherboard.

You misunderstood me.  The motherboards I'm talking about have dual 8-pin EPS12V connectors or one 8-pin plus one 4-pin, not just one 8-pin connector with 4x12V pins and 4xground.  For example, ASRock Phantom Gaming 9 Z390 has both an 8-pin and a 4-pin.

Some of the latest PC SMPS have two cables each with a 4+4 connector for this situation.  They may have a single 12V rail design.  For example, Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W.

25 minutes ago, Nenon said:

One of the differences was that while his transformer was oversized, it was still much smaller than the toroidal I used. 

Of course.  I was just referring to an apples-to-apples comparison of similar VA-rated toroid versus R-core—swapped into the same supply. I did just that during development of the JS-2 and it was not even close.

I have been following the thread for a while and  took the plunge a couple of months ago.

To start with, my original diy fanless Asus mini-ITX was  utilised as a server feeding a 7i7dnbe in Asaka plato case. Both machines running on Ubuntu, the ITX directly linked to the NUC.

This immediately produced an uplift in SQ. Replacing the USB  HDD externally connected to the Asus with a Synology NAS was another improvement. Next came the HDPLEX 200w. The Plex currently powers the NUC at 19v, the NAS 12v, DP link switch 9v, and ITX ssd 5v with CANARE 4S6s  dc cables. This has seen another increase in SQ.

As the psu  has proved so beneficial I have ordered a Sean Jacobs 5amp DC3  and Hynes SR 4 to, hopefully raise the bar further.

It has been something of a journey trying to improve on the linux ITX. I borrowed an Aurilac G1 and although it seemed slightly more transparent, initially  with my external USB HDD connected. However it stopped recognising the HDD and would only work with my ITX acting as a server connecting to the G1 via ethernet. In this mode it sounded worse than the just the ITX  + exHD connected to my DAC.

The current set up has left the G1 in the dust suffice to say.

With the power supply seemingly ever more critical, I have replaced the RCBOs in the dedicated consumer unit, which supplies the HiFi system, with better quality ones. This has brought a subtle but noticeable improvement in the already excellent clarity, weight and bass.  Obviously  all the components in the system have benefited not just the server set up.

52 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Of course.  I was just referring to an apples-to-apples comparison of similar VA-rated toroid versus R-core—swapped into the same supply. I did just that during development of the JS-2 and it was not even close.

Hi @Superdad

Can you tell a little bit of those differences, was that electricly or in sound quality?

i am asking because I have now cheap china r-core and I am waiting on a Lundahl 4x20V 2A, C-core transformer so I curious about the differences. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

7 hours ago, rickca said:

I'd be surprised if it didn't outperform a 12V rail from an HDPLEX 400W ATX LPS.

me too :)

4 hours ago, rickca said:

You misunderstood me.  The motherboards I'm talking about have dual 8-pin EPS12V connectors or one 8-pin plus one 4-pin, not just one 8-pin connector with 4x12V pins and 4xground.  For example, ASRock Phantom Gaming 9 Z390 has both an 8-pin and a 4-pin.

Yes, sorry, I misread your message. Does it say anything in the manual what each is used for? I haven't used a motherboard like that yet. Have you checked with a multimeter if the DC+ on one of the EPS connector is connected to the DC+ on the other? It seems like you may need (benefit from) 5 rails for a motherboard like that.

4 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

You used your own transformer?

Yes. 

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Good to know. For my next project I may try multiple R-core transformers (one dedicated for each rail). Sounds like that would be a killer LPS. We, DIY-ers, can afford one-off exotics like that from time to time. It would be more difficult in a commercial solution where so many things need considering. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

20 hours ago, Nenon said:

Yes, you can buy a custom LPS from Sean Jacobs. That's what he does. 

If someone's looking for a no-compromises ATX linear PSU, this could be one of the best options. Sean had priced one out for me a few months ago, and I think it would have been a bit under £3000, which is a very fair price, given you're getting a 4-rail (ATX - 3.3/5/12V & EPS - 12V) high-current linear PSU.