IGNORED

I think I'm bored with audio now.

Hailey

There were many great photographers doing reportage in colour slide film way before digital became usable.

Many worked and still do for National Geographic, some made memorable photographs though the fact that people have been bombarded with hundreds of photos every day for the last 30 decades doesn't help.

R

We agree. Nat Geo has definitely produced some really fine stuff. No doubt.

This thread is fascinating, as well as being interested in good sound for reproducing music well, I am also into photography and astronomy.

It is interesting that most of my exposures in medium format were black and white and almost all the 35mm ones were color, large format was a mix. My favorite B&W was PlusX and Rodinal.

John S.

My favourite film stocks were Kodak Panatomic-X and Technical Pan for B&W and 35mm Kodachrome 25 reversal film for colour. The Pan-X was discontinued because of it's hazardous cadmium content.

I shot a lot of Tech Pan and developed it with Technidol developer. Prints are stunning with it's ASA 16 film speed and practically nil grain structure. I seriously doubt any current digital medium format camera could produce an equivalent print. I wrote of Tech Pan at the beginning of page 8, but just found out today about this:

Rollei ATP1.1 Medium Format Film

Maybe it's time to resume my photographic skills, but this time as a hobby.

If you took all the girls I knew

When I was single

And brought them all together for one night

I know they'd never match

My sweet imagination

Everything looks worse in black and white

Kodachrome

They give us those nice bright colors

They give us the greens of summers

Makes you think all the world's a sunny day

I got a Nikon camera

I love to take a photograph

So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

Well, they did :>(

When I was single

My sweet imagination

Kodachrome

I got a Nikon camera

Kodak supposedly threw a hissy fit over the use of their trademark. This may or may not be the reason for Paul Simon in some live performances substituting "better" for "worse."

When I was single

My sweet imagination

Kodachrome

I got a Nikon camera

Kodachrome 25 was my fav 35mm. Fantastic. Nothing like it in the 35 world.

It would be interesting to know how many members are into Photography as well as Audio.

I know that at least several are also into Astronomy.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Velvia! Absolutely! Old analogue times.. don't miss them.

Kodachrome 25 was king!!

Nothing reproduced skin tones like K25

I still have slides from 35 years ago that are "perfect".

I shot with Velvia but anyone who had the patience for Kodachrome 25 was aptly rewarded.

My best entry into photography is using Leica M lenses on a Canon 5D

I love these lenses, the clarity, resolution, rendition...though I only have two. Here's a pic of a couple puppy (4 for sale! ;) )

Purplr.jpg

Pink lr.jpg

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Kodachrome 25 - only switched to Velvia 50 when Kodachrome 25 was discontinued. Still have some expired Velvia 50 sitting in a refrigerator, just haven't wanted to part with it....

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

We agree. Nat Geo has definitely produced some really fine stuff. No doubt.

Unfortunately, Nat Geo is a mere shadow of its former self. Go to the library, look at at an issue from 1960. Look at a recent issue. Pitiful. Its become the "People" magazine of the travel world. They used to be one of the best magazines in the world. Well written, in-depth reporting and writing, the some of the best color photography ever. Now, the only writing in them is superficial - not much more than captions for the pictures, really!

George

It would be interesting to know how many members are into Photography as well as Audio.

I've noticed that photography and audio often go together as traditional twin hobbies. For instance, Gordon Holt was into stereo photography and Harry Pearson was big Leicaflex fan. The early TAS issues always had one of HP's photos on the pack cover!

George

Hi Alex,

I'm in astrology and spiritism. I have ghost detectors that are good too for measure EMI, RFI et al.

I'm looking now for a genuine crystal ball to diagnose the future, iPad isn't good enough for this matters.

Best,

Roch

Hi Alex,

I'm in astrology and spiritism. I have ghost detectors that are good too for measure EMI, RFI et al.

I'm looking now for a genuine crystal ball to diagnose the future, iPad isn't good enough for this matters.

Best,

Roch

iPad is good enough if you know how to use it ;)
A few more...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29419[/ATTACH]

Very nice. I love bird photography. But it takes huge amount of time, which is one thing that is generally in short supply these days...

6210374473_7b62488989_z_d.jpg

2794460065_6d203864e9_o_d.jpg

[...]I shot a lot of Tech Pan and developed it with Technidol developer. Prints are stunning with it's ASA 16 film speed and practically nil grain structure. I seriously doubt any current digital medium format camera could produce an equivalent print.

In terms of sheer resolution, it would be pretty hard for anything else to match stitched photos. An outfit with a good fullframe body and an automated 3D head can produce gigapixel image fairly routinely.

My best entry into photography is using Leica M lenses on a Canon 5D

How? Regular M lenses have much short flange focal distance than the Canon EF mount, so the combo is rather useless. I suppose one can put a Visoflex M lens on Canon body through a Visoflex to R adapter, and then R to EF adapter. I tried that actually--took the head unit of a 90/2 M, put it on a Visoflex helical focusing mount, then Visoflex to R, then R to EF. I find it very difficult to use a lens like this handheld. The thinness of depth of field, no autofocus and no focus aid on the groundglass makes getting the sharp spot at the right place almost impossible.

Unfortunately, Nat Geo is a mere shadow of its former self. Go to the library, look at at an issue from 1960. Look at a recent issue. Pitiful. Its become the "People" magazine of the travel world. They used to be one of the best magazines in the world. Well written, in-depth reporting and writing, the some of the best color photography ever. Now, the only writing in them is superficial - not much more than captions for the pictures, really!

The recent Yellowstone issue was written by David Quammen, an award winning nature writer (with excellent reason - read his "Song of the Dodo") who is from the Yellowstone area. Well worth finding.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Interesting the way this thread has morphed into photography technique i.e. the process rather than the results.

My two-penny-worth:

Since updating my PS Audio DS DAC OS to Torreys I've lost most of my preoccupation with hardware: the music now sounds so involving I'm looking to explore again what I have and get some new stuff,

BTW I leave still photography to my wife and savour the memories her photos bring e.g. tiger taken when sitting on an elephant:

Tiger.jpg

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Hi Alex,

Best,

Roch

I breed unicorns as a side business :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

More from the archives..

jvl-15.jpg

jvl--8.jpg

jvl-54.jpg

jvl-160.jpg

jvl--9.jpg

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

Very nice. I love bird photography. But it takes huge amount of time, which is one thing that is generally in short supply these days...

6210374473_7b62488989_z_d.jpg

2794460065_6d203864e9_o_d.jpg

In terms of sheer resolution, it would be pretty hard for anything else to match stitched photos. An outfit with a good fullframe body and an automated 3D head can produce gigapixel image fairly routinely.

How? Regular M lenses have much short flange focal distance than the Canon EF mount, so the combo is rather useless. I suppose one can put a Visoflex M lens on Canon body through a Visoflex to R adapter, and then R to EF adapter. I tried that actually--took the head unit of a 90/2 M, put it on a Visoflex helical focusing mount, then Visoflex to R, then R to EF. I find it very difficult to use a lens like this handheld. The thinness of depth of field, no autofocus and no focus aid on the groundglass makes getting the sharp spot at the right place almost impossible.

Major typo Accwai, I meant R lenses. So sorry for the misunderstanding...not sure what I was thinking! ;))

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.