IGNORED

I think I'm bored with audio now.

Hailey

I agree that the most important factor in photography is the brain behind the camera but one does need an effective tool if we wish to get the job done (though like in audio that doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive).

Curiously I have never been interested in landscape photography, perhaps because even the best and most beautiful images fall short of being there by way too much...

I prefer found pictures with people on them.

R

It's very evident from your photo in this thread that the photographer was in love with the subject (in the sense of the composition rather than the person). Anything that wouldn't engender the same love in you would result in an inferior photo.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Have you tried printing your digital photos?

I find that paper is the right media for a photo to exist...

Yeah, I've tried printing digital captures, but that only gets me part way. It's about the journey and the process of creating the image. Plus, I can't replicate the look of my Hasselblad / Zeiss system with digital.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Yeah, I've tried printing digital captures, but that only gets me part way. It's about the journey and the process of creating the image. Plus, I can't replicate the look of my Hasselblad / Zeiss system with digital.

Could this perhaps be compared to some (apparently) cherishing the ritual of playing vinyl as much as the music itself?

Could this perhaps be compared to some (apparently) cherishing the ritual of playing vinyl as much as the music itself?

Totally right on. Images for me aren't about accuracy. It's about being creative and art. Audio on the other hand is about letting the artists deliver me the art and I try to reproduce it as faithfully as possible.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I don't see landscape photography as an attempt to recreate the experience of being there. To me it's the creation of an artwork with the help of nature.

I can understand that but unless the images are of a graphical nature then you will always be representing reality.

In my opinion I find painting more adequate for the later.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Totally right on. Images for me aren't about accuracy. It's about being creative and art. Audio on the other hand is about letting the artists deliver me the art and I try to reproduce it as faithfully as possible.

This is why poor quality cameras like the Holga or the Lomo are so much in vogue now: the goal is not realism but an or various effects.

There's also a trend of double-exposing film, or exposing colour rolls that have been out of date for decades, and others are cross-processing slide as negative.

The possibilities are endless...and then there's Photoshop. ;)

R

I agree that the most important factor in photography is the brain behind the camera but one does need an effective tool if we wish to get the job done (though like in audio that doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive).

There's been some interesting projects / exhibitions of photographic work where the camera used was deliberately limits. Its about working within the limitations and finding a way around them. Like the challenges Chris referred to about using his Hasselblad ... I suspect the difference in the photos have nothing much to do with differences in the actual quality of the equipment, but everything to do with the different thought processes Chris has to go through to take those photos.

As for landscapes ... I used to think the landscape and countryside around here was pretty boring; but getting out and looking for things to photograph has made me appreciate what is here. Now its not the Yosemite's, its not even Eskdale; but when you actually look there is always something interesting going on.

Now I don't claim any great skill in photography ... but I enjoy it...

29339603053_2df842f765_k.jpgDSC_7904.jpg by Eloise, on Flickr

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

It's very evident from your photo in this thread that the photographer was in love with the subject (in the sense of the composition rather than the person). Anything that wouldn't engender the same love in you would result in an inferior photo.

Thanks for that Jud.

Here's another recently caught "snap" for you:

tumblr_oe5lw6mz3h1upy4y3o1_1280.jpg

I guess this can be compared to those musicians and producers that prefer using analogue gear and recording techniques for creative reasons.

R

P.S. Though in both cases one can achieve similar results with software.

I suppose George Martin and the Beatles were the most famous early progenitors of the "the studio is just another instrument" ethos in modern pop music, while Wilma Cozart Fine, Rudy van Gelder, etc., were avatars of the "record the event" ethos that tends to be favored by many audiophiles.

Mark Knopfler is an interesting contemporary case. When he gives interviews he's squarely in the "studio is an instrument" camp. He has a very well appointed studio in which he can and does record individual songs on different analog and digital equipment to give each song the particular flavor he's after. Yet many of his recordings are quite popular with audiophiles.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

There's been some interesting projects / exhibitions of photographic work where the camera used was deliberately limits. Its about working within the limitations and finding a way around them. Like the challenges Chris referred to about using his Hasselblad ... I suspect the difference in the photos have nothing much to do with differences in the actual quality of the equipment, but everything to do with the different thought processes Chris has to go through to take those photos.

As for landscapes ... I used to think the landscape and countryside around here was pretty boring; but getting out and looking for things to photograph has made me appreciate what is here. Now its not the Yosemite's, its not even Eskdale; but when you actually look there is always something interesting going on.

Agree.

"getting out and looking for things" was the greatest gift photography gave me. While I admit to being a crappy photographer, photography got me to go to places I never dreamed I would go, helped shape where I purchased my retirement home (still not retired) and photography animals like grizzlies and their cubs I thought only crazies would do. It also help drain my bank account.

"getting out and looking for things" was the greatest gift photography gave me. While I admit to being a crappy photographer, photography got me to go to places I never dreamed I would go, helped shape where I purchased my retirement home (still not retired) and photography animals like grizzlies and their cubs I thought only crazies would do. It also help drain my bank account.

I think even if you don't live somewhere with "crazy" animals like grizzlies and their cubs, there is a lot around even the dullest city or town that you never really look at. Photography can help you see the world around you in a new light.

A great example ... @accwai picture of the seagull above ... a common bird, but seen in a different light if you actually watch them for a while.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Eloise, where is this place? Looks like Scotland.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Side note, I wonder why there is no equivalent to Fujifilm in Hifi, combining beautiful retro looks with up to date modern technology, great build quality and excellent usability.

How about ...

L_hdamp1_n_sg_fr.png

Eloise

---

Eloise, where is this place? Looks like Scotland.

Waswater in the South-Western Lake District.

Eloise

---

I think even if you don't live somewhere with "crazy" animals like grizzlies and their cubs, there is a lot around even the dullest city or town that you never really look at. Photography can help you see the world around you in a new light.

That's true even here in Southampton.

That's true even here in Southampton.

What's Southampton like to live in with children?

I might move there someday as it's closer to the office.

R

Sorry for the OT

Thanks for that Jud.

Here's another recently caught "snap" for you:

tumblr_oe5lw6mz3h1upy4y3o1_1280.jpg

You like to use depth of field in your compositions (at least these). :) So did I, back in the day when I was roaming around with a Pentax film camera. Took some spectacular slides of the Canadian Rockies and American SW. (Actually, some of the Canadian Rockies shots predate the Pentax. I borrowed a $400 camera from the woman who cut my hair before the trip. When I showed her the shots, she offered to give me the camera in exchange for photography lessons. I had to refuse; as I told her, the places were so beautiful I could have randomly clicked the shutter without looking through the viewfinder and come up with gorgeous photos.)

Have no idea where the slides are now....

You like to use depth of field in your compositions (at least these). :) So did I, back in the day when I was roaming around with a Pentax film camera. Took some spectacular slides of the Canadian Rockies and American SW. (Actually, some of the Canadian Rockies shots predate the Pentax. I borrowed a $400 camera from the woman who cut my hair before the trip. When I showed her the shots, she offered to give me the camera in exchange for photography lessons. I had to refuse; as I told her, the places were so beautiful I could have randomly clicked the shutter without looking through the viewfinder and come up with gorgeous photos.)

That's a great story.

The first camera I used was also an all manual Pentax.

I too thought I had lost all my black and white stuff but found it a couple of years ago in a box at my parents.

The slides have been safely ripped into a hard drive.

R

Jud, I liked your story, too.

I shot this back in the day, 28mm Nikkor.

436.jpg

Jud, I liked your story, too.

I shot this back in the day, 28mm Nikkor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29280[/ATTACH]

Gorgeous. I've been there, and it really does look like that.

?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29281[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29282[/ATTACH]

Same comment as above on Accuphase (they both really have very similar approaches, with the beautiful VU meters etc.): I'm missing the affordability part that I should have mentioned in the first place :-)