IGNORED

I think I'm bored with audio now.

Hailey

Waswater in the South-Western Lake District.

It's lovely. We were in the Glenelg region of Scotland two summers ago and your picture reminded me of a delightful vacation we had there.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Jud, I liked your story, too.

I shot this back in the day, 28mm Nikkor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29280[/ATTACH]

I love the desert, but unfortunately haven't done much travelling since the kids were born...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29281[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29282[/ATTACH]

Surely they fail the "modern technology" requirement of Musicophile's comment?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Some sample work..

jvl--6.jpg

jvl-0061.jpg

jvl-172.jpg

jvl-02.jpg

jvl-06.jpg

jvl--4.jpg

jvl-010.jpg

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

Whoopsie, leaves this right out:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29272[/ATTACH]

(I'm a huge fan of the steampunk look, probably due to reading a bunch of science fiction. Lots of other folks detest it.)

Well done, Jud! I couldn't agree more on the incredibly cool appearance of the D'Agostino Momentum series equipment. I too absolutely love that look, and in combination with how brilliantly they apparently perform, I would give anything short of an appendage to own it. Sadly, that will never happen short of hitting the lottery. Even used is far, far beyond my means.

JC

[h=1][/h]

Whoopsie, leaves this right out:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29272[/ATTACH]

(I'm a huge fan of the steampunk look, probably due to reading a bunch of science fiction. Lots of other folks detest it.)

Forgot to comment earlier, but the only thing that reminds me of is this (and it's not a positive association):

minions-03.png

Some sample work..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29297[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29298[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29299[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29300[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29301[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29302[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29303[/ATTACH]

That Salar in Bolívia... I'd love to go there; really enjoyed travelling in Peru.

Thanks for sharing.

R

R. You must.. I'm planning another trip to Bolivia..To explore the area of Chiquitania. Also doing a 50 plus days periplo around The Guyanas (Suriname, Guyana, and French Guyana)..

That Salar in Bolívia... I'd love to go there; really enjoyed travelling in Peru.

Thanks for sharing.

R

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

There's always something better. On the balance between quality, price, and portability, I've settled on something that fits both my budget and habits while still providing quality far ahead of any compact/phone camera which is what most people use. It's no different from audio, really. There's always a better speaker or amp if you're willing to pay for it and have a listening space that lets it shine.

I shot that photo on a short visit to Santa Cruz during a business trip a while back. Under the circumstances, I probably wouldn't have bothered bringing a medium format camera even if I had one. Here's another from the same outing:

Imnvl_pr3x3_5Mi4HI57YuW8KWsFxK45x51nz1EOtnqKFDB39EdjS383_23AmOdo2WkEeni5ij9oQlueparvrLtlwaTyQ_mWmlK8wppSjyHJgzEv_wUF_eLzZz77_jP9488oznc2IVxzq20zCxuVVd0kV5H4hfkLp5uHIaKaoTVwceMfGZ7YLASbjrzZbfgDa9vqYTb4N6-Oq7JUMtkY6dBTU1CgrGNZ9rQjcuJWy3HzdDov4TBvaK25JQ-7rUrLTgKiakSnMsctR53IU68aJmWI7YTafgpDz7OkyE46Ppib7QAd3TpCaK3opbbxSHYQeU_jYTfVLkg0uEVxNn5v29FTqcVCvVTB2d7vTJn4rNsnF_W-D7xz91WHyLr7FB7Vfvj-AILg8o1hrqF4Hle7XiMvGcaGaIJ-53bKKF3XFaeWzBmnDgHfTficgs6FxXaaFw-wHuZSRJKgniICKzMIzjPrqC_Zdc-WW4mgWxkcEBuW9YANG1WpERKv0EdZSmpgkYH2dQK_YJtmTHIz78YcS_Gy6-55QsXftz83-NJw11Fsj7hd2lTY4H812YnrnUbAIFRY_BEDs0rxX5eZGCX0myzyEGy0d1ssSqZ9fd4L7PipUE0h=s0

For a photo I hadn't planned at all, I don't think it's too bad.

Completely agree with you as portability is the main reason I also had a quality 35mm camera, as well. It pays to be flexible.

Just for completeness, there are several different medium format camera sizes:

• 6x4.5
  • 6x6
  • 6x7

Here's a link to the Pentax 645:

PENTAX 645 Z - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

It's significantly smaller and portable than the Pentax 6x7 behemoth, and is what I considered before purchasing the latter model.

Completely agree with you as portability is the main reason I also had a quality 35mm camera, as well. It pays to be flexible.

• 6x4.5
  • 6x6
  • 6x7

It's significantly smaller and portable than the Pentax 6x7 behemoth, and is what I considered before purchasing the latter model.

The new Hasselblad X1D looks, on paper as well as samples provided, looks amazing and even though 9k for body alone, looks like a "bargain" and appears to be very portable. Definitely a camera I will rent and try.

I turned my friend on to the Batis 25/F2 for his Sony A7rii and his pictures from Iceland were some of the best I have seen. I had him send me his raw images and this combo really really impressed me.

I consider myself a good judge of pictures just a crappy photographer

• 6x4.5
  • 6x6
  • 6x7

I'm looking at a used (obviously) Mamiya 6 medium format camera. Small enough for portability and still has great optics and large negatives/positives.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Fujifilm has announced a medium format, mirrorless, system. More weight and money but if one needs 51 mp it should be good.

Yeah I watched the video of their people introducing it and while they didn't talk price I would assume it will a little cheaper than the Hasselblad but I like what I see and hear about the Hasselblad more than Fujifilm but we will see.

I'm looking at a used (obviously) Mamiya 6 medium format camera. Small enough for portability and still has great optics and large negatives/positives.

If you are still using film, for portability in medium format, my favorite of all time was the Mamiya 7 range finder. Absolutely spectacular images. I like the 6x7 format more than any I ever shot with.

Even a crappy photographer like me was able to take some world class shots with this camera.

If you are still using film, for portability in medium format, my favorite of all time was the Mamiya 7 range finder. Absolutely spectacular images. I like the 6x7 format more than any I ever shot with.

Even a crappy photographer like me was able to take some world class shots with this camera.

I used to have a Mamiya C330 outfit with all of the lenses they ever made for it as well as the poro-finder and two bodies. Big and bulky yes (twin-lens reflex with interchangeable lenses. That means each lens was actually TWO lenses - a "taking" lens as well as a "viewing" lens. It took great pictures, though. Really spectacular stuff with that big 6 X 6 film area. It got to the point where every time I went out, I thought to myself, "Do I REALLY want to haul that lot with me today?" More often than not, after the "new" wore off, the answer was a resounding no!

2372.jpg

Here is the C330 with Poro-Funder and standard 80mm f 2.8 lens.

MamC330Set1 copy.JPGThere is just about everything: medium telephoto,"long" telephoto (180 mm f/4.5, and 250 mm f/6.3), and a 55 mm f/4.5 wide angle, along with "pistol" grip, cases for lenses, lens shades, and one of the several styles of poro-finders Mamiya made over the years. Don't know why there's no standard 80mm lens shown here.

George

I used to have a Mamiya C330 outfit with all of the lenses they ever made for it as well as the poro-finder and two bodies. Big and bulky yes (twin-lens reflex with interchangeable lenses. That means each lens was actually TWO lenses - a "taking" lens as well as a "viewing" lens. It took great pictures, though. Really spectacular stuff with that big 6 X 6 film area. It got to the point where every time I went out, I thought to myself, "Do I REALLY want to haul that lot with me today?" More often than not, after the "new" wore off, the answer was a resounding no!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29328[/ATTACH]

Here is the C330 with Poro-Funder and standard 80mm f 2.8 lens.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29329[/ATTACH]There is just about everything: medium telephoto,"long" telephoto (180 mm f/4.5, and 250 mm f/6.3), and a 55 mm f/4.5 wide angle, along with "pistol" grip, cases for lenses, lens shades, and one of the several styles of poro-finders Mamiya made over the years. Don't know why there's no standard 80mm lens shown here.

I get it trust me. That is why I went the Mamiya 7 route. 3 spectacular lenses and a very portable 6x7 format. Truly a revolutionary camera for those of us into "portable" medium format. Truth is that camera was so fulfilling I wound up selling all my Leica M stuff and shot exclusively with the Mamiya 7.

Then of course the story changed with digital.

IS is not effective when you are photographing moving subjects.

For freezing movement you have to use high shutter speeds and this defeats the need for IS.

I wouldn't trade IS for high ISO performance.

R