IGNORED

I think I'm bored with audio now.

Hailey

Ah- I suggest then that you switch to another money sink, errr - I mean hobby. Think about portable music and 4x4 vehicles. Not only can the music take you to new places, but the Jeep can take you to even more remote places to listen to that music. :)

-Paul

Oh one could maybe add astronomy for a money sink. The 4x4 gets you to dark places. The sky is the limit on spending for astronomy gear.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Ah- I suggest then that you switch to another money sink, errr - I mean hobby. Think about portable music and 4x4 vehicles. Not only can the music take you to new places, but the Jeep can take you to even more remote places to listen to that music. :)

-Paul

Or, how about a nice bicycle? You can buy one of these for under $17,000:

colnago-ferrari-cf-7.jpg

-Paul

Photography is a great money sink. I've probably spent about as much on lenses as on audio gear.

Photography is a great money sink. I've probably spent about as much on lenses as on audio gear.

The problem is not in the hobby but the hobbyist...

I currently own and use a single fixed focus lens that suits my style (all other photos I take with the phone), although I'd live happily with a couple of zooms if I had the need.

I am fortunate to be immune to Lens Buying Addiction.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

The problem is not in the hobby but the hobbyist...

I currently own and use a single fixed focus lens that suits my style (all other photos I take with the phone), although I'd live happily with a couple of zooms if I had the need.

I am fortunate to be immune to Lens Buying Addiction.

R

I have a handful of Canon L lenses I use regularly with a 7D camera. The results please me, and a phone camera doesn't get close. That's enough for me.

I have a handful of Canon L lenses I use regularly with a 7D camera. The results please me, and a phone camera doesn't get close. That's enough for me.

Canon L is about as good as it gets. As a former professional photographer, at one point, I owned four different Nikon cameras, and 15 different Nikkor lenses. But, I knew another pro from Japan who only spoke enough English to communicate to me that in Japan, Canon is considered the best, and Nikon a distant second.

I'm with you there, buddy. Cameras (Nikon F, F2, F3, F4 Leica IIIC, M3, Mamiya C33/330 and the entire lens set plus Poro finder for same, various compact cameras, three interchangeable-lens Nikon digital cameras, and lenses! Too many to count. Then there are the enlargers, and various lab equipment for all the black and white and color processing supplies (CibaChrome, E6, C-42, Ektaprint positive print supplies) All the flash equipment. If I had all that money back, I'm sure I could just pull-out my wallet and pay cash for a pair of Martin-Logan Neoliths (or a new Alfa Romeo C4 which might be even more fun)!

Recently, I bought a compact Nikon Coolpix P900 with an 83 to 1 zoom lens (equivalent to 24 - 2000 mm in 35mm terms). With all of it's features and image stabilization (I can hand-hold a 2000 mm telephoto short!). No more heavy, bulky cameras to tote around no more bag-O-lenses to tote with me everywhere I go! With luck, this is the last camera I'll ever buy (who am kidding???)

DSCN0056.jpg

These Kids are on a high-school football field almost a mile away, HAND-HELD!

George

Canon L is about as good as it gets. As a former professional photographer, at one point, I owned four different Nikon cameras, and 15 different Nikkor lenses. But, I knew another pro from Japan who only spoke enough English to communicate to me that in Japan, Canon is considered the best, and Nikon a distant second.

Since my first L lens, I've bought nothing else. They're a different league from the rest.

I have no experience with Nikon, so I won't disparage them.

Oh one could maybe add astronomy for a money sink. The 4x4 gets you to dark places. The sky is the limit on spending for astronomy gear.

You can say that again!! I think I could retire on what I have spent on sky gazing.... but oh! The fun and pure awesomeness of what you get to see!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Since my first L lens, I've bought nothing else. They're a different league from the rest.

I have no experience with Nikon, so I won't disparage them.

Canon lenses are very good. As with everything some Canon lenses are better than their Nikon or Leica equivalent, and some Nikon lenses are better than Canon lenses and some Leica lenses are better than either. I always stuck with Nikon in my film camera days (mostly) because Canon kept changing their lens mount and Nikon never did. For instance, I had a Nikkor 200mm F4 telephoto lens that I bought used that was made in 1960 for the original Nikon F. I was still using it with My Nikon D90 as late as 2015! However, it was always my heartfelt opinion that the original Canon "breech-lock" mount was the best and most positive camera lens mount for an SLR ever. Too bad they dropped it.

I think that maintaining the 35mm format for digital cameras was somewhat awkward. I realize it was done so that people transitioning from film to digital could use their extensive existing lens sets, but that period has, IMHO, passed. I went from large, bulky interchangeable lens digital cameras where one had to do math to figure out what one's old 35mm lenses equated to when fixed to most digital cameras! (and yes, I know that one could buy 1-to-1 lens focal length 35mm sized digital bodies, but there was real advantage to doing that as the bigger sensor really didn't have any more resolution than the smaller, lighter bodies, so why bother just to get 1-to-1 lens compatibility!) to this Nikon Coolpix format where the lens isn't interchangeable and with up to 83 to 1 zoom capability don't need to be and I'm not looking back!

George

Think about.. 4x4 vehicles. Not only can the music take you to new places, but the Jeep can take you to even more remote places. :)

-Paul

That's exactly what I've been doing. I'm 100% content with my audio system so I just listen to tunes and now my focus is on modifying and building up my Jeep for gnarly adventures. Too bad the Lion's Back trail was shut down.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I always stuck with Nikon in my film camera days (mostly) because Canon kept changing their lens mount and Nikon never did.

Every Canon EF mount (introduced in '87) lens will work with any current body. That's better than Nikon can claim. Many of their older high-end lenses lose auto-focus on cheaper bodies. That said, both make terrific camera systems.

Forget photography has very similar responses to HiFi.

Try going out and listening to some real live music. Hard to find but its out there. If you really like music this should be your first love.

Hard to find? That depends on where you live. Around here (Southampton, UK), there are plenty of live venues. It may not be superstars, but there's usually something whatever your taste in music.