Le Nozze di Figaro:

A uniformly stellar cast from 1982: Te Kanawa, Popp, von Stade, Thomas Allen, Ramey, Kurt Moll, with Solti conducting.  Listen before you buy to see whether you're bothered by Solti or the early digital sound.  Don’t miss von Stade's Cherubino.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_nozze_di_Figaro_(Georg_Solti_recording)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

12 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Le Nozze di Figaro:

A uniformly stellar cast from 1982: Te Kanawa, Popp, von Stade, Thomas Allen, Ramey, Kurt Moll, with Solti conducting.  Listen before you buy to see whether you're bothered by Solti or the early digital sound.  Don’t miss von Stade's Cherubino.

Yes, this one is up there with my favorites, Kleiber (unfortunately very poor SQ) and Levine (some overlap in the cast to Solti).

Richard Wagner

Parsifal

Placido Domingo

Jessye Norman

Levine/Metropolitan Opera Orchestra & Chorus

585091547_DomingoNormanParsifala.jpg.4d3f74a2e71b8a1a2247795934e01160.jpg

1528728670_DomingoNormanParsifalb.jpg.e2390195b76896c508a53a8f2f3002c4.jpg

Some of the late Jessye Norman's most beautiful recorded work, even if Levine's pacing is too slack.  Very nice sound, and the orchestra plays beautifully.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

GoGo Penguins latest EP is fantastic:

v5vwiqi6qybub_600.jpg

See my review here: https://musicophilesblog.com/2019/10/05/gogo-penguin-is-back-with-a-beautiful-album-ocean-in-a-drop/

Thanks. Didn't know this had come out. Like it. Only $3.99 in 24/88 with Qobuz Sublime

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 10/4/2019 at 1:50 AM, Bob Stern said:

Le Nozze di Figaro:

Thanks again for the recommendation. Playing it now. And it’s indeed very good!

Solti's Figaro:

6 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Thanks again for the recommendation. Playing it now. And it’s indeed very good!

You inspired me to listen to it for the first time in a very long time.  The overture is nothing special — perhaps the London Phil at that time could not keep up with Solti's tempo.  However, once the singing began, I found it superb from beginning to end!

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

5 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Solti's Figaro:

You inspired me to listen to it for the first time in a very long time.  The overture is nothing special — perhaps the London Phil at that time could not keep up with Solti's tempo.  However, once the singing began, I found it superb from beginning to end!

My impression exactly.

Too bad that in the early 80s the HIP influences hadn’t impacted the mainstream yet.

And unfortunately the only new recent recordings are Currentzis (over the top) and Nézet-Séguin (a bit meh).

I wonder if I should start a kickstarter campaign for the perfect Figaro. Given all the nonsense that gets funded, at least this would be a worthy goal.

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Too bad that in the early 80s the HIP influences hadn’t impacted the mainstream yet.

My preferences are the opposite of yours.  I love old-fashioned romanticism.  I especially lament the HIP influence on mid to late Romantic music like Schumann and Brahms.

For example, I love the Brahms violin sonatas in the flowing style of the Khachatryan siblings.

3 hours ago, Musicophile said:

My impression exactly.

And unfortunately the only new recent recordings are Currentzis (over the top) and Nézet-Séguin (a bit meh).

I wonder if I should start a kickstarter campaign for the perfect Figaro. Given all the nonsense that gets funded, at least this would be a worthy goal.

HIP influences, what do you mean with that?

53 minutes ago, JanRSmit said:

HIP influences, what do you mean with that?

Historically informed performance. This typically results in a lighter style, with smaller ensembles, and less vibrato. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historically_informed_performance

This trend started in the 1970s and 80s, driven by Harnoncourt and many others. This has influenced the way even “modern” orchestras and conductors perform today.