6 hours ago, Musicophile said:

My impression exactly.

Too bad that in the early 80s the HIP influences hadn’t impacted the mainstream yet.

And unfortunately the only new recent recordings are Currentzis (over the top) and Nézet-Séguin (a bit meh).

I wonder if I should start a kickstarter campaign for the perfect Figaro. Given all the nonsense that gets funded, at least this would be a worthy goal.

I liked Levine's a lot. Didn't listen for years though.

+1 from me on the Brahms piano concertos. Beyond the different classic iterations with Fleisher, Curzon, Gilels, and  Richter, among the more recent versions I can recommend Zimerman/Rattle for no. 1 and Freire/Chailly for both.  

Going back to an older classic today. It has aged pretty well, maybe with the exception of the early DG Digital SQ (but even that is bearable, if a bit sharp). 

FDB4B05E-4D45-4AD1-B56F-40E5A09617F4.jpeg

On 10/5/2019 at 8:02 AM, austinpop said:

5D5E8287-38EE-47C8-9FDD-0B2AA2A0333A.jpeg

A really lovely performance and recording of the familiar Schubert Octet, and the unfamiliar (to me) Berwald Septet.

Indeed, just listening it over Qobuz streaming and it's fantastic!

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Anthony Rolfe Johnson, tenor

Souvenirs de Venise

Graham Johnson, piano

with Felicity Lott, Ann Murray, Richard Jackson, Hugo D'Alton

665843400_AnthonyRolfeJohnsonSouvenirsa.jpg.87efb4ab6ec4c8f8ffc604d8e4d27c2e.jpg

1362648264_AnthonyRolfeJohnsonSouvenirsb.jpg.e171c78718190378d69c7ddeb4ac411c.jpg

Anthony Rolfe Johnson is wonderful on this charming and lovely recital album.  Beautiful tone and phrasing, as always.  I wish he'd recorded albums of songs by R. Strauss, Rachmaninov, and more Hahn.  I will always treasure his Handel recordings, which is how I first became acquainted with his marvelous artistry.

(Helios is Hyperion's budget reissue line, and as far as I know they still aren't on any streaming platforms, so if anyone is interested, you can hear brief samples on Presto Classical and buy the CD or a download if you prefer.)

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子