cover.jpg.a993cfcfef05c658606b95af4676f0cc.jpg

Bach: 6 Sonatas for Violin and Piano, BWV 1014-1019. Played with polish by Nicolas Dautricourt (violin) and Juho Pohjonen (piano) -- though at times I wished for a touch more expressiveness on Mr. Dautricourt's part.

Excellent sound from a 24/96 Qobuz download. (And another incongruous cover art).

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Now listening to the latest arrival:

Moffett.jpg

I also like the MJQ-album Lonely Woman, it's great. Although I think MJQ never recorded " bad music" (I own 19 albums), there are favorites. One of them (and the perfect fit for my Bach & jazz-addiction):

mjw bach.jpg

The Final Tour: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 6

51CgLiBjk5L._SS500.jpg

A four CD collection from the 1960 world tour. SQ at times falls short of what we have grown accustomed to. Given the historic import of these two artists at this moment in the evolution of modern jazz, I can heed the lesson of the Steppenwolf and  delight in the "laughter of the immortals" and not be distracted by any minor shortfalls of the recordings.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

6 hours ago, Nikhil said:

Any Rod Stewart fans on here?

Having a blast listening to this album right now.

Much as definitive was too strong a word.  Fan is right in the mix.  :P

I will admit being in an environment that lends itself to unbiased opinions of this style of music you can easily see how he stayed relevant on the popular charts for so long.  Even in that period between his voice starting to fall off and the now ubiquitous studio magic.  I don't do the Stones, Beatle's, Led Zepelin, Hendrix, The Dead, or have much to do with anything else from that period.  You won't hear much complaint about his music though.

4 hours ago, rando said:

Much as definitive was too strong a word.  Fan is right in the mix.  :P

I will admit being in an environment that lends itself to unbiased opinions of this style of music you can easily see how he stayed relevant on the popular charts for so long.  Even in that period between his voice starting to fall off and the now ubiquitous studio magic.  I don't do the Stones, Beatle's, Led Zepelin, Hendrix, The Dead, or have much to do with anything else from that period.  You won't hear much complaint about his music though.

I've always liked his voice and have been a fan of his recent works as well.  I like how he has adapted to the changing times and have no problems at all with his occasional misses.  I really liked his work in the American Songbook series and even the Motown inspired "Soulbook".   He just has a tremendous voice that transcends genres.  

Listening to Tom Traubert's Blues (Waltzing Matilda) really touched a chord with me last night.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Did you hear Tom Waits with this song?

Sure.  There are several versions on Youtube.  

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

This seems to be a nice recording.

870737C7-2C2D-4713-829C-F28883033A08.jpeg.7a0c0d323e80d515a891ceacaef492c9.jpeg

The music too. Fink   Perfect Darkness

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

12 hours ago, graham said:

image.png.91425b8baa36cb260cb3bf86fa4c3451.png

via Tidal

Another great live album release from the trio.

It compliments Live in Hamburg well.

Thanks for this. Since his untimely death, I have unwisely stopped looking for further releases from his trio.

12 hours ago, graham said:

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

cover.JPG.cfe5847127093886509423fa71e93b7f.JPG

Barsanti & Handel: Edinburgh 1742. (Actually a 'Concerto' by Handel, which is made up of two movements from the Water Music that include two horns; also an aria from Alcina and a march from Tolomeo; and 5 Concerti Grossi by Barsanti). The Ensemble Marsyas is directed by Peter Whelan. Mezzo soprano Emile Renaud sings the Alcina aria.

The clear and airy sound complements the pungent tonality of the instrumentation which includes French horns as well as timpani. A 24/192 Linn download.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Got to underscore some mentions/suggestions by @Melvin that are just too good not to bring up again (I did not know about either of these albums)

The brand new Joey Alexander might be his best release yet and that is saying a lot.  If you dig him, got get this and don't think twice as he is still playing well beyond his years on this earth.  Also I had no idea that Bob Reynolds from Snarky had a solo career, his Hindsight album is a must pick up if you are a Joshua Redman/Ben Wendell/Chris Potter/Walter Smith listener.  He is in your wheelhouse, you just don't know it.

Yeah and that site by Daniel Marx Healthy Music Obsession has the best pound for pound suggestions on the music scene in one stop shopping I have run across in a while.  It will be a must read for me going forward.

https://healthymusicobsession.com/reviewsandfeatures/