Dark, powerful contemporary music that manages a bit of melody! Great sound, too. (24/96 FLAC)

71SiZ7xbSCL._SX522_.jpg

B&W 803D3 speakers

McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp

Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Chord Qutest DAC

VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge

Sennheiser HD800s, Audyssey LCD-xC headphones

15 minutes ago, slartybartfast said:

I’m a Miles and Mingus fan but I can’t get past the vibraphone. It should never be used in Jazz - willing to be educated, can someone say anything good about that instrument?

It took me a long time to get used to vibraphone, so I can relate to your qualms! But, it was a major element of The Modern Jazz Quartet. Come to think of Cal Tjader! Still, it‘s no argument to convince someone, I‘m just saying, the vibraphone used to Play an integral part in Jazz. Sonically, it‘s a Real challenge for any loudspeaker to reproduce it well! 

28 minutes ago, slartybartfast said:

I’m a Miles and Mingus fan but I can’t get past the vibraphone. It should never be used in Jazz - willing to be educated, can someone say anything good about that instrument?

Milt Jackson

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

2 minutes ago, DeathFugue said:

5021513-origpic-57464a.jpg_0_0_100_100_2

A superb follow-up to their equally superb Vol.1. (24/96 FLAC.)

(By the way, I'm not really a "Newbie"! I had an account and made numerous posts as Fugue--I think. Anyway, when the site made us verify our identity, I never got a verification reply and just gave up for a long time. I tried again recently with a new email address, and all is well.)

B&W 803D3 speakers

McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp

Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Chord Qutest DAC

VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge

Sennheiser HD800s, Audyssey LCD-xC headphones

5 hours ago, elcorso said:

Love vibraphone and like the way it blends with jazz as part of it.

[...]

Roch

I am quite surprised to read some jazz lovers have difficulties in acceptance of vibraphone. For me its sound is very organic part of jazz. Very early impressions - Miles' Bag's Groove, various MJQ recordings, Burton/Corea, etc., etc. Or, the sound of Lionel Hampton's Midnight Sun solo in the first minutes of Bertolucci's The Sheltering Sky, one of the best examples of jazz in film soundtrack.

5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I am quite surprised to read some jazz lovers have difficulties in acceptance of vibraphone. For me its sound is very organic part of jazz. Very early impressions - Miles' Bag's Groove, various MJQ recordings, Burton/Corea, etc., etc. Or, the sound of Lionel Hampton's Midnight Sun solo in the first minutes of Bertolucci's The Sheltering Sky, one of the best examples of jazz in film soundtrack.

I must admit the vibraphone isn't my favourite instrument either. I can live with it, but I prefer others. 

OK, Modern Jazz Quartet is enjoyable, but beyond that I don't listen to it very often. With one notable exception, I just love this song:

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

I must admit the vibraphone isn't my favourite instrument either. I can live with it, but I prefer others. 

OK, Modern Jazz Quartet is enjoyable, but beyond that I don't listen to it very often. With one notable exception, I just love this song:

Another favorite from 70-s was Bobby Hutcherson. And, from new names: Jason Adasiewicz, Stefon Harris. Well, I am surprised and puzzled...)