On 4/25/2018 at 8:00 AM, rando said:

Bernstein's Paris and London symphonies are both appreciated here.  

Thank you for reminding me to track down the incomplete Derek Solomons/L' Estro Armonico/Tryggvi Tryggvason Haydn set.  Which based on the little I've heard is even more enjoyable.  Symphony No. 42 on Vol. 9 being what caught my attention.

Not by any conscious effort I've collected a large amount of Beethoven over the course of the last year (At least 3 sets I can think of offhand).  This latest a replacement of the BIS Vänskä SACD's which had grown unusable after years of being well traveled and enjoyed by many others.

91TQlshJVdL._SL1500_.jpg

I have that complete Beethoven Set from the Minnesota Orchestra and Osmo Vänskä.

No electron left behind.

7 minutes ago, rodrigaj said:

Don't see much Bruckner here.

I've posted Skrowaczewski's final Bruckner recordings with LSO, a few Simone Young on Oehms, and most recently Wand's Symphony 8 recorded live at  Lübeck Cathedral which Musicophile was present at.  I want to say there was a Matačić recording posted not too long ago as well.  :)

11 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

Don't see much Bruckner here.

An excellent 2017 release by Blomstedt and the San Francisco Symphony of the B4.

Blomstedt's control of momentum is outstanding.

5ae3db4679ec0_ScreenShot2018-04-27at9_14_57PM.thumb.jpg.f44bb9e6b72939386a0f89e978ecac91.jpg

https://tidal.com/album/56636204

BTW, if you ever get a chance to listen to an interview with Blomstedt, he does an excellent job of explaining his interpretations in terms anyone can understand. I rank him up there, in this regard, with Lenny Bernstein.

Big Bruckner fan here. I’ve recently checked out Nelsons’ new recordings with the Gewandhaus. They are quite good but no new reference for me. 

mq8psr5bd4uja_600.jpg

3 hours ago, WAM said:

what's your favorite Bruckner 7

I am torn between Blomstedt, Matacic, Tintner and Wand (w/ Berlin)... Giulini (w/ Vienna on DG) is nice too.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

7 hours ago, WAM said:

I like Bruckner. MF, may I ask what's your favorite Bruckner 7 (I listen a lot to Wand/BP and Haitink CSO)?

Now listening to Brad Mehldau and Joshua Redman. Great album.

nearness.jpg

I’ve been promoting Wand for a while, and my review of the Brückner box is one of my most popular blog posts. 

https://musicophilesblog.com/2015/09/11/my-favorite-bruckner-gunter-wands-late-recordings-with-the-berlin-philharmonic/

Particularly for the 7th Karajan’s recording on DG is outstanding as well. 

10 hours ago, WAM said:

I like Bruckner. MF, may I ask what's your favorite Bruckner 7 (I listen a lot to Wand/BP and Haitink CSO)?

The answer depends on how deep you want to go. There are quite different approaches to performing of Bruckner. From super slow Celibidache to highly idiosyncratic Venzago. Some people like versions of 7th with load cymbal clash in adagio other  choose original no-cymbal versions only. Previous posters recommendations are fine and mostly safe. You may want to try Haitink with Concertgebouw, Jochum on EMI as well. 

Do you know adagio was played on German Radio after the announcement of Adolf Hitler's death on April 45?

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Do you know adagio was played on German Radio after the announcement of Adolf Hitler's death on April 45?

Yep.

I have tried Celibidache, but I do not listen often to his recordings. I also own Jochem, but he does not get much "playing time"  either. Wand is the topdog in Bruckner for me. I also like Barenboim (with BP). Karajan is on the greed-list.

42 minutes ago, WAM said:

Yep.

I have tried Celibidache, but I do not listen often to his recordings. I also own Jochem, but he does not get much "playing time"  either. Wand is the topdog in Bruckner for me. I also like Barenboim (with BP). Karajan is on the greed-list.

I was going to name Barenboim...) Wand is no doubt very, very good in Bruckner, almost everything what I heard with different orchestras is deep and rich without being laborious. I also returned back to Karajan after couple decades of almost complete ignoring and re-discover his great art, cherishing his last Brahms cycle for a while among other gems. Celibidache is a thing in itself, you can not compare him with anyone else, totally different approach (late Bruckner performances). Will one accept his vision and reading or not is a question.

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I was going to name Barenboim...) Wand is no doubt very, very good in Bruckner, almost everything what I heard with different orchestras is deep and rich without being laborious. I also returned back to Karajan after couple decades of almost complete ignoring and re-discover his great art, cherishing his last Brahms cycle for a while among other gems. Celibidache is a thing in itself, you can not compare him with anyone else, totally different approach (late Bruckner performances). Will one accept his vision and reading or not is a question.

I have a lot of Celi recordings. A pity that they are often bootlegs or radio broadcasts as Celibidache hated the recording medium. They are truly special, but I only listen to them quite rarely. 

1 hour ago, rodrigaj said:

Thank you for this.

I had occasion to hear a young Manuel Barrueco in the late '70's. The performance featured one of Bach's Lute Suites transcribed for guitar by Barrueco. The concert was sponsored by the Milwaukee Classical Guitar Society and held in a church. The acoustics were outstanding - no amplification of course.

It was and still is one of the most profoundly moving musical experiences of my life.

Barrueco was not a Segovia student and thus did not benefit from Segovia's marketing (i.e., Christopher Parkening and John Williams). But in every respect, he is one of the greatest guitarist to emerge from that era.

This is the Tidal link:

https://tidal.com/album/52464505

Eugen Dombois' Baroque Lute album is one of my favorites.  It includes Bach's Prelude, Fugue And Allegro In E-Flat Major, BWV 998 and Suite For Lute In G Minor, BWV 995 

Image result for baroque lute dombois 

45 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

I have a lot of Celi recordings. A pity that they are often bootlegs or radio broadcasts as Celibidache hated the recording medium. They are truly special, but I only listen to them quite rarely. 

Celibidache interest for Zen buddhism may explain some of his unconventional decisions. Or, at least, such decisions are explained now by the fact that he had interest for Zen buddhism. His late recordings with Munchner Philharmoniker published after maestro's death by EMI are excellent. Do you have his EMI Bruckner's 3-9 set?

That Barrueco was an unexpectedly good find.  I'd place this disc in the same category.  Excellent choice for a Sunday morning.  Parisian gaiety in the Saint-Saëns is so youthful and implacable, the energy so unsustainable, and then utter calm sets in.  Looking forward to picking up the next album he released with the Vaiberg/Weinberg 'Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra'.

Sergei-No-Limit.jpg

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Celibidache interest for Zen buddhism may explain some of his unconventional decisions. Or, at least, such decisions are explained now by the fact that he had interest for Zen buddhism. His late recordings with Munchner Philharmoniker published after maestro's death by EMI are excellent. Do you have his EMI Bruckner's 3-9 set?

Yes. And several of his Brahms in obscure RAI radio recordings.

On 4/28/2018 at 6:41 PM, Daverz said:

CH10949.jpg

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN 10949

I've been waiting eagerly for this new recording of Ginastera's explosive Piano Concerto No. 1 and downloaded the 24/96 files earlier today.  Huge dynamic range!  It's nice to hear the huge climaxes without the breakup on my old RCA Lp

R-5296794-1389889399-2877.jpeg.jpg

Love Ginastera works and specially this one, thanks for the link !

Had problems under Mac / Sierra downloading it with the Chandos-Manager. Then I had to download track by track.

Roch