image.jpeg.75bdf8743480b6e4741c24e3eecda87d.jpeg

"Jazz singer" doesn't come first to mind when remembering the great Fred Astaire, but Astaire was the jazz singer who introduced many of the standards in the American Songbook.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_introduced_by_Fred_Astaire

Fred had a vocal range about as narrow as a knife blade, but I think Astaire's phrasing, timing, and intonation were every bit as good as the very best of the very best.  The songs on this album were recorded in December 1952 with a young (26) Oscar Peterson on piano in the company of Flip Phillips, Charlie Shavers, Barney Kessel and Ray Brown.  

It's recorded and mastered to sound as good as it should - on the 1990 initial double CD release the DR on the various tracks ranges from the mid-teens to low 20s.

Timely collusion of the Bernstein century and titular ascension of H.R.H The Prince Of Wales has been an ongoing source of amusement for me.  Sony's digital remastering a large section of his catalog for these CD's was generally quite good as well.  

R-3295176-1327069665.jpeg.jpg     R-3295176-1327069749.jpeg.jpg

13 hours ago, rando said:

Timely collusion of the Bernstein century and titular ascension of H.R.H The Prince Of Wales has been an ongoing source of amusement for me.  Sony's digital remastering a large section of his catalog for these CD's was generally quite good as well.  

R-3295176-1327069665.jpeg.jpg     R-3295176-1327069749.jpeg.jpg

I always found the pairing of Bernstein with this complete non-entity to be insulting.

The Bernstein Century remasters tended to be a little better.  I love the vibrancy of his Eroica with the NYP.

51AL6zGA72L.jpg

As it turns out the 1st and 3rd Symphony disc was in my queue last night.  The game of what performance is remastered for what album is always there to bite you with a newer or better regarded option.  1983-1994 CD's are currently more interesting to me than the synthetically good "in the style of..." remasters using the same sound palette (as noted in my Callas post).  These first attempt at legacy recordings might prove an impermanent part of my collection. I will consider doing a ripped disc comparison here.

My early morning, yet to be deposed :), album to sip coffee to the first disc of.  

R-9633934-1483955338-4943.jpeg.jpg

26 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

He will perform in my town soon. Can not decide should I make an effort to attend. What would be your choice?

My two cents: I've seen him live perform Bach.

He has some tendencies of being a bit of a "show-off", and not all of his recordings are top-notch, but I really haven't regretted seeing him perform. It was a very enjoyable performance. 

4 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

He will perform in my town soon. Can not decide should I make an effort to attend. What would be your choice?

To be honest I'd never heard of him before and I've just bought this CD but enjoyed listening to him playing this material.

I'd say it would be worth going if the programme is to your liking. I love listening to live music anyway.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

9 hours ago, semente said:

To be honest I'd never heard of him before and I've just bought this CD but enjoyed listening to him playing this material.

I'd say it would be worth going if the programme is to your liking. I love listening to live music anyway.

It will be Four Seasons plus Max Richter's "recomposed" version. Still, it looks better than Goldberg Var. which will be performed in the close date by pianist AND Turkish percussionist.