44 minutes ago, EuroChamp said:

Thank you for recommendation and for the link. It really seems to be a great album. What about their pricing? They want 10 USD "or more". Could you explain.

reg.,

Bernhard

You can get it for the stated price or give the artist more money. The stated price is a minimum.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

+1. I am a great admirer of Perahia's Bach. So I am curious to hear about his Beethoven (my favorite Beethoven cycles: Kempff, Gilels).

Perhaps not 'album of the evening' , but track of the evening: now listening to Bach's BWV 848, comparing the eight versions I own. Richter and Tureck rule... But Pollini, Janssen and Fellner are also good. And what's wrong with Hewitt? Just avoid Gould... 

Happy listening, cheers! (Pint of the evening: Chimay blue).

23 hours ago, PorkChop said:

I can't get off side one of this album:

https://www.amazon.com/Afriki-Habib-Koite-Bamada/dp/B000SKJR3S

Recording SQ is great (especially if your system reproduces deep buttery bass).  Usually, an ensemble of "all-star" musicians makes the music feel generisized, but these songs sound so authentic and are quite beautiful.

a0297364155_10.jpg

https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/afriki-habib-koite/0890846001053

Roch

On 2/10/2018 at 5:10 PM, WAM said:

[...] Perhaps not 'album of the evening' , but track of the evening: now listening to Bach's BWV 848, [...]

Yup, that's a fun one. Had it for Song of the Day Dec 19, 2017, but Prelude only. So BWV 848/1 would be more appropriate. Now Album of the Evening yesterday and today:

Vivaldi: Farnace

Jordi Savall, Le Concert des Nations, et al.

MI0002858716.jpg

7 hours ago, Musicophile said:

m9ndrumpeuaib_600.jpg

Alexander Melnikov’s latest release. Four composers on four different pianos. Both beautiful and insightful. 

Streaming from Qobuz 

I do like Melnikov and all of these composers but this one leaves me untouched, don't know why. Very good sound though but I just don't understand why he picked those pieces of music. But then again, I am no musician and mostly do not grasp the intellectual aspects of classical music. Music has to touch my heart and this one does not. But that's only me.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎11 at 1:25 AM, Hugo9000 said:

Jean Sibelius

Symphony No. 1

Osmo Vänskä/Minnesota Orchestra

Current favorite recording of this symphony, although that changes, I have 6 other recordings I also love, and they each have something wonderful that the others don't quite match.

Sibelius 1 Vanska.jpg

Oh yes, absolutely +1

And don't forget the other two recordings in the series.

0.jpg

b.jpg

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎10 at 1:45 PM, Musicophile said:

Agree, just bought it yesterday as well. A review is in the making.

Often I value your reviews and insights but not in this case ;) Why? because I have already made up my mind. This one is just beautiful. I have both Kempff on DG and Brautigam on BIS (all of Beethoven's sonatas) and really like most of them very very much. Kempff may be considered by some as being just a little bit too restrained but there is something about his playing that just keeps me listening and Brautigam perhaps just the opposite of Kempff, very vivid and sometimes furious. Some might say slightly over the edge but oh so captivating.

BUT Perahia OMG - to my ears the best Mondschein I've ever heard and the Hammerklavier quite convincing as well. A must have! 

4 hours ago, masch said:

Oh yes, absolutely +1

And don't forget the other two recordings in the series.

0.jpg

b.jpg

Yes, I have those as well.  Also purchased The Essential Sibelius boxed set from BIS which has Vänskä's full symphony cycle with the Lahti Symphony.  Overall, I think I prefer the newer cycle with Minnesota, but I enjoy whichever I'm listening to at the moment.

I also have Neeme Järvi's two sets with the Gothenburg Symphony, the first one on BIS, and the second on DG, along with his set of tone poems for DG.  And I have Paavo Berglund's first two complete sets of the symphonies (couldn't pass them up on Amazon, they were around $10 for each boxed set lol), and a boxed set of Eugene Ormandy's Sibelius recordings for RCA, with the glorious Philadelphia Orchestra.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子