On 12/8/2022 at 9:53 PM, mlauria said:

I guess I am the odd man out here, I really enjoyed this and think its the best tribute thus far. 

Maybe it not a master piece but I enjoyed the album too. Superb musicians throughout....Norah Jones with Bill Frisell and Scott Colley...

12 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Magnificent and full of life reading of Bach’s piece which too often comes out overtly schematic under the stiff fingers of other pianists. 

https://open.qobuz.com/album/ea669bho9x9ac

image.thumb.png.e53ad3be4bb9707f2c8aa9504b5a339e.png

I like it. Unhurried, confident, and as you say, not overtly schematic (rote).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

16 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Magnificent and full of life reading of Bach’s piece which too often comes out overtly schematic under the stiff fingers of other pianists. 

https://open.qobuz.com/album/ea669bho9x9ac

image.thumb.png.e53ad3be4bb9707f2c8aa9504b5a339e.png

A very good recording! Also his WTC and Goldbergs have 'qualified' to my top 50 😎 performances of these pieces. 

I remember that my general constatation when I was exploring performances of these two pieces was - how many great instrumentalists, not necessarily extremely popular in the West came from the USSR, Russia, Ukraine and other ex Soviet republics, just amazing.. 

21 hours ago, Jud said:

I like it. Unhurried, confident, and as you say, not overtly schematic (rote).

Jud,  didn’t want to sound harsh on the other pianists, but in my opinion, Koroliev has indeed achieved an amazing combination of mellowness, fluidity and freedom here. Fast comparison with highly acclaimed early Sokolov's version only confirmed an impression.