38 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Ok.. I feel I should explained myself - I broke the rules of this thread - I only checked out some fragments before posting this recommendation for the album (I hope the OP won't ban be from this thread..😉), seems I was a little overenthusiastic indeed..

I'm very glad there are really attentive and vigilant people here though!  😎

No problem.  I've often formed a strong opinion based on first or limited exposure, only to change my mind with continued listening.  I like Leonard Cohen (the man and the music) so I found this on Qobuz and gave it a try.  My wife and I became annoyed at the unvarying low energy of the songs, none of which were terrible or inappropriate but which, as a group, were simply repetitious.   Gets a pass from us.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

No problem.  I've often formed a strong opinion based on first or limited exposure, only to change my mind with continued listening.  I like Leonard Cohen (the man and the music) so I found this on Qobuz and gave it a try.  My wife and I became annoyed at the unvarying low energy of the songs, none of which were terrible or inappropriate but which, as a group, were simply repetitious.   Gets a pass from us.

My evaluation of an album when I have access to its entire content and 5-10min is usually quite good (decades of experience and thousands of albums) especially if it's not classical music. It doesn't work that well with 30 sec fragments though..

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Leonard Cohen - Music to bleed-out to. 

I’m a big fan though. In fact, I’ll put this one on now. 

35890542-0761-4D51-984F-FB0EAEC101C1.jpeg

A good, Dutch friend of mine, a musician, composer, conductor and an owner of more than 2 dozens instruments (for a time being his tabla is mine which is great) hates L Cohen. He says (remembering his teens and 20's) "all of them, my friends, were seducing, kissing and caressing girls while I had to play and sing all those goddamn Cohen's songs!" 😂

5 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I actually like it. Was surprised at the quite decent job Sarah McLachlan did on Hallelujah.

But I can understand that the interpretation of the songs by the backing band (same on every track, I believe) might feel repetitious when listening to the album straight through.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The truth, nothing but the truth and the whole truth (if it's only possible)..😎

46 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OK, cool Atmos mix on Hallelujah. Will listen to the rest.

Untitled.png

Seems we were listening to it at the same time and that was actually (truth!) my first listen to the album in its entirety. When I posted it I wanted simply to recommend you, guys a new thing which sounded good to me in fragments (now Chris can ban me..😉).

I like the concept of the 'jazzy Cohen' album, IMO this is a good band and in general good vocalists well performing the songs. I don't hear tons of invention packed into these pieces, that's true but despite that I tend to agree with those who said it's the best Cohen covers album yet. I can't stand 2 pieces on it (both sung by men). I think maybe part of the problem of this recording (checked out of curiosity ratings on allmusic) is that it is addressed to two not necessarily in 100% the same camps - Cohen fans know and want mostly Cohen, Blue Note fans are a bit more into more jazzy stuff. As for accusations that it's not lively or upbeat enough - c'mon guys, these are Cohen covers, not metal or techno. A bit more individualization of songs IMO would be welcome although I like the album and I think it's good as it is.

25 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

This time visual AotE, Live in London.

As you are probably aware, there is an excellent two disc set of Cohen's Live in London concert.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

8 hours ago, Jud said:

That lady will raise the hair on the back of your neck. 

So true! Her duet of "Crying" with Roy Orbison is another absolute classic of hers.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron