IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

2 hours ago, feelingears said:

Hi, @Mercman, you might try Audirvana's own support forum at: https://community.audirvana.com/

Studio will be in its own category, as you'll see. I found at least one staffer (I presume) named bitracer who was very helpful with my Auralic/Audirvana issue. And at 10:30 p.m. PST he or she was responding to my posts as if we were having a conversation! YMMV. 

Oh and FWIW on my M1 Mac, to get a debug dump to sent to Audirvana, I had to wait for about two minutes through a SPOD (Mac's rainbow spinning pizza of death usually meaning app death) after clicking debug dump–total surprise, but in worked. And FWIW I see the SPOD for a brief moment when adding a song track to playlists in Audirvana Studio. So it goes...

I appreciate your help-thanks! My problem is that I have a love-hate relationship with Studio. Something I will have to learn to accept 😜

Steve Plaskin

6 hours ago, Mercman said:

I appreciate your help-thanks! My problem is that I have a love-hate relationship with Studio. Something I will have to learn to accept 😜

You and I both.

It took several tries, some coaching here, and now I can finally hear: yes, the sound is excellent. I'll just leave it at that. 

As a random aside, I have some pro experience touching the world of IT and networking. Some things in the computing world are...a bit more temperamental than you might think they should be. Audirvana is not in that category, so I suppose I've adjusted my expectations accordingly. Did I say the sound is excellent? 😃

(I think I've also found that Studio is slightly more stable when controlled from the iOS remote app rather than using the laptop interface. That "Stop" button on individual tracks seems to reset things, or something. Possibly suggests more of a networking issue than the software itself, which would comport with my comment above.)

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Is the sound quality the same on Studio and Origin? 

I love Studio's sound quality, but find that, when processing to DSD256, Audirvana taxes CPU even more than does HQPlayer. Who knew that even was possible? 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

3 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Is the sound quality the same on Studio and Origin? 

I love Studio's sound quality, but find that, when processing to DSD256, Audirvana taxes CPU even more than does HQPlayer. Who knew that even was possible? 

I suppose it must depend very much on settings, because my i7-8900K and M1 Max have no problem doing DSD512 with Audirvana, while DSD256 seems to be the sweet spot with HQP.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

I suppose it must depend very much on settings, because my i7-8900K and M1 Max have no problem doing DSD512 with Audirvana, while DSD256 seems to be the sweet spot with HQP.

Kinda surprised, Jud.  CPU in my i7 NUC and my i7 Dell XPS 8930 both regularly peg 100c with Audirvāna with upsampling turned on.  With HQP, ASDM7ECV2 with gauss filters gets toasty, too, but typically in the high 70’s.  On the other hand, I haven’t tried running Audirvāna with DSP for awhile, but I don’t recall it stuttering, which HQP sometimes does with these settings.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

23 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Kinda surprised, Jud.  CPU in my i7 NUC and my i7 Dell XPS 8930 both regularly peg 100c with Audirvāna with upsampling turned on.  With HQP, ASDM7ECV2 with gauss filters gets toasty, too, but typically in the high 70’s.  On the other hand, I haven’t tried running Audirvāna with DSP for awhile, but I don’t recall it stuttering, which HQP sometimes does with these settings.

Just checked with the i7-8900K. Max temp with Audirvana Studio upsampling 24/44.1 Qobuz to DSD512 was 56C.  Max temp with HQP upsampling 16/44.1 local track to DSD256 was 72C.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

17 minutes ago, Jud said:

Just checked with the i7-8900K. Max temp with Audirvana Studio upsampling 24/44.1 Qobuz to DSD512 was 56C.  Max temp with HQP upsampling 16/44.1 local track to DSD256 was 72C.

Figured it would be best to keep everything the same between the two players, so I tried a local 24/44.1 track at DSD512 with both, and got a max CPU core temp of 85C with Audirvana Studio, 84C with HQP.  Essentially no difference in core temps.  Like you, I haven't experienced stuttering in Audirvana Studio, but have at DSD512 with some settings in HQP.  I'm supposing this is either down to the particular HQP settings being relatively compute-heavy (but then why not higher CPU core temps?), or Audirvana loading the upsampled track into RAM before playback, this acting as a buffer and preventing stuttering.

22 minutes ago, Jud said:

Figured it would be best to keep everything the same between the two players, so I tried a local 24/44.1 track at DSD512 with both, and got a max CPU core temp of 85C with Audirvana Studio, 84C with HQP.  Essentially no difference in core temps.  Like you, I haven't experienced stuttering in Audirvana Studio, but have at DSD512 with some settings in HQP.  I'm supposing this is either down to the particular HQP settings being relatively compute-heavy (but then why not higher CPU core temps?), or Audirvana loading the upsampled track into RAM before playback, this acting as a buffer and preventing stuttering.

Thanks, Jud, for the empirical data.  I am going to look at this again. I have Audirvāna and HQPlayer Desktop on the same machine. I will try DSD256 settings on both applications and compare the temps.

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, bobfa said:

Did Damien make the Audirvana work with Aggregate devices?

Not sure because i don't use, but i think it was already working as i remembered reading somewhere before 2.0 release...

ain't you @Jud asked for it ? or it was on Audirvana forum, can't remember :)  Free to try @bobfa

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

2 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Not sure because i don't use, but i think it was already working as i remembered reading somewhere before 2.0 release...

ain't you @Jud asked for it ? or it was on Audirvana forum, can't remember :)  Free to try @bobfa

Don’t know that it was me, since I’m not even sure what an aggregate device is. 🙂

On 10/23/2022 at 3:59 PM, bobfa said:

Good to see that Audirvana now has Chromecast device support as well as (presumably) a continuous stream workaround option for those non-gapless/faulty gapless UPnP streamers that are still around - hopefully the continuous stream can also be used for the inherently non-gapless Chromecast devices.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

1 minute ago, bobbmd said:

@damien78@The Computer Audiophile and anyone else:

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to iOS Ventura immediately in terms of using Audirvana Studio 2.0 or for that matter ROON(newest version) or TIDAL/Qobuz from their respective apps? ie SQ etc

Am currently running Monterey on M1 Mac Mini 16GB RAM.

I’m running into issues with Ventura, but only when using my Ravenna audio driver. Other than that, everything is working great. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

37 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m running into issues with Ventura, but only when using my Ravenna audio driver. Other than that, everything is working great. 

I’m getting Studio stopping just a second or two short of the end of tracks when playing over UPnP/DLNA. No problem with direct connection.

Note: From what I understand (which isn’t much), this may be caused by a bug in the Ventura video driver.

Since installing 2.0 I am having a couple of annoying playback issues, which were not present with the previous release.

While listiening to a track, I will hear a very brief split second interruption, almost like a click or pop, similar to when listening to an lp.

When one track ends, the next track begins 1-3 seconds into the track instead of at the beginning with no pause between tracks.

Is anyone else getting this, is there a way to fix it, or is there a way to back or of the current release and re-install an earlier release?   

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW I just downloaded the trial AO 2.0 yesterday and about an hour later also installed Ventura on my M1 Mac Mini. Played a couple of albums last night no issues what so ever… so far. Setup is direct with USB cable to DAC so nothing in between.

Its been quite a while since listening to my computer based music server (vinyl or CD instead) but there does seem to be quite a bit of difference in sound quality compared to 3.5 based upon feeble memory. UI is certainly different, some welcome others a bit of getting used to and like so many have commented on in the past I really wish Audirvana would loose those circles in Artist view. Not sure why they think this looks cool, it doesn't IMHO.

35 minutes ago, routlaw said:

Not sure why they think this looks cool, it doesn't IMHO

I doubt that's why they're used. Seems more likely it's because they're an instant visual cue what view you're in.