IGNORED

Article: Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2 | One Year On

Chris,

Always good to read about an audiophile without the itch to upgrade all the time.  That said, I believe that Rust-oleum has a pur sang rouge color option.  Wouldn't it be great to have all your gear the color of your speakers? 

Great photos, as usual.  Really nice room.  And once you spray paint the gear, everything will match.  :)

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Your room / system has turned out beautiful, and I’m sure sounds spectacular! It’s been fun following the build. Thanks for sharing the process.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Have to agree with you on all points.  Even a move from the first version to the second was more akin to a different speaker than I'd ever expected.  In my case, I've been a Spectral fan since the 260, despite Rick's commandments re: cabling.  Using their SV per and anniversary mono-blocks really do the Alexia 2's justice.  I went with black in keeping with all the silver and black gear.  It's allowed me to focus on the rest of the chain.  As I've made improvements, including most recently adding a master clock to the dCS Vivaldi Clock, it just gets more "real" to my ears.  Awaiting further Shunyata upgrades as a means to eliminate the traces of noise in the system that veil what's coming from the source.  Count me a big fan of Wilson.  Been a long, long road from John Bau Spica's, with various stops along the way (DQ-10's, Mirage M1's, Revel Salon's and stuff in between).  I've finally arrived!

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

30 minutes ago, emcdade said:

I don’t want to sound too disparaging but confirming your $60k speakers still sound good while record people are about to be searching for their next meal just makes me want to exit this hobby.

With respect you make it sound like there is a causal connection. I do not see that it should be viewed as insensitive to talk about their gear whatever the pricetag. There are plenty of threads about less expensive gear and budget gear and DIY gear.

I get that there is hardship in the world. This site and this hobby, whether or not involving expensive gear, is an escape for some of us.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

No worries emcdade. The world is a strange place right now and many of us express frustration, anger, dissolution, etc... in different ways. It may be “record people” today, but yesterday it was less fortunate kids, and tomorrow less fortunate grandparents. All terrible. 

My writing about a hobby I love won’t change the realities of a global pandemic. I wish Audiophile Style could have a positive effect on those most hurt by the current situation, but sadly it can’t. What I can do is provide free entertainment, escape, community, etc... to everyone who loves music, equipment or both. 

Well done Chris. After all these years you are getting close :)

The Truth Is Out There

I can't believe it is a year!

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Chris

Have you tested, or plan to test, Hypex NC1200 class D based amplifiers ?

Or the lasted class D invention from Bruno Putzeys ? (Eigentakt). 

I haven't tested anything with the Hypex NC1200 or the Eigentakt technology inside yet. I'd love to try both, but remain guarded about expectations. Class D is similar to Linux in that for the last 20 years people have been saying "This is the year for Linux on the desktop" because it has such great promise. However, the realities are always different and expectations are seldom met. 

I'm open minded because Bruno is so brilliant as is the design team at Purifi. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. Can't wait to get back to audio shows!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

It's great to see you mention Tsuyoshi Yamamoto and the Three Blind Mice label. 

They have been a reference of sorts for me as well and I'm really glad to see you enjoy that treasure trove of Japanese Jazz. 

Regards

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

3 hours ago, Nikhil said:

Chris,

It's great to see you mention Tsuyoshi Yamamoto and the Three Blind Mice label. 

They have been a reference of sorts for me as well and I'm really glad to see you enjoy that treasure trove of Japanese Jazz. 

Regards

Hi Nikhil, TBM is now my favorite label, without a doubt. Great music, talent, and sound quality. 

Here’s the new thread I created for those of us who still need to purchase the albums because we didn’t buy them when they were still in print :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I had the chance to hear the Spectral DMA-250 S3 for an afternoon (driving Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2). I think that should be your next upgrade. Spectral are unaffordable for me but I'll bet you $1 they would take your system to yet another level.

1 hour ago, loop7 said:

I had the chance to hear the Spectral DMA-250 S3 for an afternoon (driving Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2). I think that should be your next upgrade. Spectral are unaffordable for me but I'll bet you $1 they would take your system to yet another level.

The only thing bad about the Spectral gear I used to have is that I couldn't keep it running. Had to go back to the factory for service too many times.