IGNORED

Article: CAPS Twenty | Part One

Chris-

It's a cool idea and exteme in a good way. Don't think it is something I'd do, I'd just stay with a DAC that will accept some more standard streamers that do what I want. But it's a great idea and those gauges look great. 

I am though looking to get a new server for high level upsampling such as HQP. I've already decided on what I want, but haven't bought anything yet. So I'm very interested to see what the CAPS Twenty is - maybe I'll by one to replace my CAPS IV instead of what I have planned. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Edifer M1380 system.

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Cool Chris, I am very much looking forward to the CAPS TWENTY article, as I need a powerful main server for HQPlayer use, and I am no computer building/sourcing expert!  I am assuming you will be running an I9-9900K in the Twenty...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

One should never assume. 😁

Agreed, I should have said, "guessing"!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

6 hours ago, 20hertz said:

I hope Smallgreen computer can build some for us uneducated ones!

Hi 20hertz, I agree with you and I'm reminded of something I discussed with another member of this community via email yesterday. 

CAPS designs have always been about a starting point and a guaranteed result. If people have a CAPS server identical to this one, I guarantee it will work as I say. However, I love when people use CAPS as a starting point and jump off on their own to make something better or cooler etc...

Yesterday I discussed the gauges with someone and he asked why I didn't make them visible through the front of the chassis. I would've loved to do that, or even made a wireless module to house the gauges that could sit next to the listening chair. I decided that perfection can be the enemy of progress, so I released CAPS Twenty.One as a first shot at something really cool and different. Bringing this back to a third party like SGC and the community making things better, I'm sure someone will come up with a better design and better way to make the gauges, or any other part, more user friendly. 

I have a notebook full of ideas to take things to unseen levels, but at some point I would compete with the great companies in this industry and that isn't my business. Perhaps I can spark some creativity in those companies and we'll see something even better that we can all purchase and get great support with warranty etc... 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

P.S. I always encourage people to hire their local neighbor kid or PC company to build the CAPS servers. Those guys can do it with their eyes closed because they have the complete design and build of materials above. If there are eve any questions, just post them here and either me, or the community will help. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

23 minutes ago, bobflood said:

If the i5 is a 9400 I am betting it wins. I am running an 8400 on my HQP machine and it rocks. Hyperthreading  is not really necessary with HQP especially with offloading to a GPU. We shall see.

They are 10th generation, so a 10400?

I have a 9400 for the server, sweet CPU, nice balance between performance and 65W TDP. My motherboard keeps the fan stopped until 60°C so it is basically fanless all the time, and it spins only when needed. Absolute silence.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

41 minutes ago, Matias said:

They are 10th generation, so a 10400?

I have a 9400 for the server, sweet CPU, nice balance between performance and 65W TDP. My motherboard keeps the fan stopped until 60°C so it is basically fanless all the time, and it spins only when needed. Absolute silence.

Good catch. Yes, 10400 would be it.

OK, watched the cool video and read the text and wonder what does the HQ Player up conversion with the new filters/modulators at high rates like DSD256+?  The cute little computer that sounds like a new Starbucks drink doesn't have the horsepower to handle that task.  

Also, why does the JCAT USB unit have such a big heatsink?  What does it do?

Given the huge size of the cool looking case, thought it was going to have a high octane CPU and GPU like the stuff talked about on the HQPlayer thread when folks are looking to get to the highest performance levels.

As usual, I'm lost.  

Tone with Soul