IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

On 5/3/2020 at 10:38 AM, ted_b said:

Which leads to the question: what are the good tube-based direct-drive amps out there, if any?

My SR1as arrive this coming week; my Jot-R is here and waiting. :)

I am guessing something like the AtmaSphere MA-60s might work well. They love higher Z loads. I think they have an integrated too.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

On 5/4/2020 at 11:15 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

FedEx just dropped the Schiit Audio J-R. The week is off to a great start. 

Chris, I would love to hear your impressions of the JotR driving the SR1a. I’m eager to hear your thoughts and how you compare the SR1a performance from a relatively direct drive amp vs some your expensive speaker amps (Both tube and SS) + interface box setups. 

PS. I’m sure that you know this but I’ll just remind you anyways to not forget to turn the baffle compensation ON to compensate for the open design of the SR1a to properly reproduce the entire frequency response spectrum (very noticeably in the low and high registers of the frequency response).

18 hours ago, 4est said:

I am guessing something like the AtmaSphere MA-60s might work well. They love higher Z loads. I think they have an integrated too.

This could very well be an excellent suggestion, the power levels still concern me, but they do, as you noted deal well with more difficult loads. I would ask Ralph Karsten for his thoughts. Wonderful guy to deal with and he knows absolutely everything about his products, and audio in general. 

JC

4 hours ago, TubeLover said:

This could very well be an excellent suggestion, the power levels still concern me, but they do, as you noted deal well with more difficult loads. I would ask Ralph Karsten for his thoughts. Wonderful guy to deal with and he knows absolutely everything about his products, and audio in general. 

JC

One could check with Ralph, who is a great guy, and see. To my knowledge however, that OTL circuit would increase it's power when driving a higher impedance load. It seems like a potentially nice pairing. Anyone is welcome to bring/send RAALs here and I'd be happy to hook them up to mine and test them! I have numerous tube amps to try them on..lol

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I'm getting the Parasound HINT 6 Halo integrated amp in for review to pair with the SR1a. For $2,995 I hear this amp is the best value in HiFi. Parasound's Richard Schram was excited the amp would be paired with the RAALs. He said the new JC 1+ would really take them to another level. 

https://parasound.com/hint6.php

hint6_silver_front.jpg

hint6_silver_back.jpg

hint6_black_inside.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I think it is time for you to set up brackets, ala March Madness.  Have one side the Tube amps and the other bracket SS...Pick a winner, yes you have to, and then anything new coming in has to knock off the winner.  Really would be tedious to compare to all the fallen...but you would get to listen to Ten Redux a few dozen times so not all bad.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

8 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

I think it is time for you to set up brackets, ala March Madness.  Have one side the Tube amps and the other bracket SS...Pick a winner, yes you have to, and then anything new coming in has to knock off the winner.  Really would be tedious to compare to all the fallen...but you would get to listen to Ten Redux a few dozen times so not all bad.

Love it!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@ted_b You're lucky you ordered when you did!

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 8.20.00 PM.png

Well if people post rave reviews on popular audiophile websites, Chris, orders will be placed.

Maybe you should have given Danny a heads up so he could get some more units on the shelf.

As an aside the Jot R had been playing constantly more or less for a week now, and I am happy. Not as fancy as the PassLabs amps, but a good step forward from the Hypex Class D amps I was using with the interface box. Prompted me to do some work on my DSD "dac-less" source, and I am very happy with the system sound now.