IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Really?  None?

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_m180.htm

A pair of these makes 140 watts each with EL-34s, who knows how high that will go with KT150s which they can also run

https://www.primaluna-usa.com/primaluna-evo-400-tube-power-amplifier

Or the integrated version...

https://www.primaluna-usa.com/primaluna-evo-400-tube-integrated

McIntosh...

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/amplifiers/MC2152AN

Go all the way!

https://www.balanced.com/vk76se-power-amp

I suspect you didn't look very hard and I think there is more to it than a power rating. I think finding an amp with a stout ability to drive a lot of current into the load is more important than the ultimate power rating.

Fine suggestions all, but the PrimaLuna (a brand I think rocks for the money) only puts out 70wpc, and only 30 in triode. Either way, several people have found they cannot drive the RAAL's all that well. 

But you are, of course, correct about not all power being equal. Still, as I noted in my previous post, the SR1a's are truly quite demanding. 

JC

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ha! Now those I could carry in without an issue. The Pass XA160 monoblocks in the basement, not so much 😬

Those Pass XA160's could really have been saving you on the cost of heating the house this winter though! 

JC

34 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Fine suggestions all, but the PrimaLuna (a brand I think rocks for the money) only puts out 70wpc, and only 30 in triode. Either way, several people have found they cannot drive the RAAL's all that well. 

But you are, of course, correct about not all power being equal. Still, as I noted in my previous post, the SR1a's are truly quite demanding. 

JC

You are correct about the Primaluna Integrated putting out 70wpc, but that's with the EL-34 tubes. It will go up with the KT150s which it can also run. The monoblock amplifiers put out 140wpc with the EL-34s.

No electron left behind.

5 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

You are correct about the Primaluna putting out 70wpc, but that's with the EL-34 tubes. It will go up with the KT150s which it can also run.

Yes, but even going with the KT150's didnt get it done with the RAAL's. And, in my personal experience only, the KT150's, along with being pricey, leave behind the best traits of the wonderful EL34 tubes. The KT120's start along that path and the KT150's take things even further towards the super dynamic and austere presentation. 

And if anyone is interested, I can make them a great deal on three essentially new KT150's. 

JC

11 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

You are correct about the Primaluna Integrated putting out 70wpc, but that's with the EL-34 tubes. It will go up with the KT150s which it can also run. The monoblock amplifiers put out 140wpc with the EL-34s.

I owned the piece you are talking about.. it only put out about 35 watts with 2 EL 34 per side,the 70 watts was with KT 150's. The monoblocks tube specification is KT120, 

recognizable from their bottle shape.  To get 140 watts from EL34 can be done if your amplifier uses 4 per side...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 minute ago, davide256 said:

I owned the piece you are talking about.. it only put out about 35 watts with 2 EL 34 per side,the 70 watts was with KT 150's. The monoblocks tube specification is KT120, 

recognizable from their bottle shape.  To get 140 watts from EL34 can be done if your amplifier uses 4 per side...

The PrimaLuna Integrated top model has 4 EL34s per side

No electron left behind.

34 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

The PrimaLuna Integrated top model has 4 EL34s per side

Indeed it does, but here are its ratings, cut and pasted from the website:

Power
Ultra-linear
70 watts x 2 (EL34)
(8Ω, 1% THD)
Power
Triode
38 watts x 2 (EL34)
(8Ω, 1% THD)

Now, my Conrad Johnson also has four EL34's per side, and DOES produce 140wpc. But one must take into account the topology of the amplifier, how it was designed, and with what in mind. Different amp manufacturers choose to drive tubes harder than others, and get more power. 

The odd thing though, in this circumstance is that I know CJ does not push their tubes hard in any of their amps. I'm surprised that PrimaLuna is apparently driving them so exceptionally conservatively. As mentioned before, I have great respect for PrimaLuna equipment, especially their exceptional build quality for the money. I've owned three of their pieces. However, I can also tell you that they always met but virtually never exceed their specifications for power. About six months ago, a good friend brought over his PrimaLuna monoblocks (formerly the top of the line). I've herd these in his system. and one other, and they are delightful amps. We tried them on my only moderately difficult to drive speakers and they were fine, but could not truly rock, or reproduce the full weight of a symphony. Now, to be fair, at their rated power, they should not have been expected to, given the load of my speakers. However, a couple other amps of very similar power rating were better able to drive my main speakers, as they clearly had substantial power in reserve. Much as I respect PrimaLUna, they seem to meet their specified power, but not much more. And again, being absolutely fair, there are many manufacturers offering not inexpensive amplifiers that either barely meet their specs, or sometimes even fall below them.

JC 

Yes, that means 70 watts per channel, meaning it has 70 watts per side from 4 EL34s. I am not arguing that point I am saying that it can also run 4 KT150s per side and it is an AMP that can run KT150s that are not the one the guy posted as being the only one that existed.

It is an EXAMPLE of a KT150 AMP that EXISTS. I made no claims to how it will sound...

its easy to follow if you read what I was actually replying to...

and I used to OWN one of these as well, so we can stop trying to tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

No electron left behind.

20 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Really?  None?

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_m180.htm

A pair of these makes 140 watts each with EL-34s, who knows how high that will go with KT150s which they can also run

https://www.primaluna-usa.com/primaluna-evo-400-tube-power-amplifier

Or the integrated version...

https://www.primaluna-usa.com/primaluna-evo-400-tube-integrated

McIntosh...

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/amplifiers/MC2152AN

Go all the way!

https://www.balanced.com/vk76se-power-amp

I suspect you didn't look very hard and I think there is more to it than a power rating. I think finding an amp with a stout ability to drive a lot of current into the load is more important than the ultimate power rating.

I haven't considered mono amps, but that's a lot of equipment, cables & space to drive one single earspeaker.

That McIntosh is the only integrated I see rated at 150watts, but it costs $15,000.

I remember seeing a few others with even more tubes & at even higher prices, but those are't something anyone can realistically buy.

9 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Yes, that means 70 watts per channel, meaning it has 70 watts per side from 4 EL34s. I am not arguing that point I am saying that it can also run 4 KT150s per side and it is an AMP that can run KT150s that are not the one the guy posted as being the only one that existed.

It is an EXAMPLE of a KT150 AMP that EXISTS. I made no claims to how it will sound...

its easy to follow if you read what I was actually replying to...

and I used to OWN one of these as well, so we can stop trying to tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

My sincere apologies, I did not, in any possible way mean to imply you didn't know what you were talking about. I respect your audio knowledge and experiences immensely. I pasted in the wpc ratings from the PrimaLuna page in response to another posters remark, certainly not yours. You were very clear that you knew that information previously. I understood what you were saying, and And you were also absolutely correct in pointing out that the EVO400 is indeed another amp that can run KT150's, as opposed to the claim that there were not any others.

JC

On 4/17/2020 at 3:28 PM, ThenewGearPPK said:

I haven't considered mono amps, but that's a lot of equipment, cables & space to drive one single earspeaker.

That McIntosh is the only integrated I see rated at 150watts, but it costs $15,000.

I remember seeing a few others with even more tubes & at even higher prices, but those are't something anyone can realistically buy.

The McIntosh isn't an integrated amp. However, your best bet would be to take note of what others have found works, and go from there.

No electron left behind.

5 hours ago, cfisher said:

I have been reluctant to write up my thoughts on the SR1A out of fear that I don't have that much to add to the conversation. Now that they are back up on Drop at $400 off, I guess I will take the time to add further encouragement to anyone that might be on the fence. I appreciate the enthusiasm of Chris and others, which led me to pull the trigger.

Four years ago, my wife and I had our first baby, so I baby-proofed my stereo by ripping all of my CDs and replacing my speakers (Gallo Ref. 3 to Spatial M3 Turbo S). Because I work at home, I also purchased a headphone system. With some stops along the way, I ended up with the following chain Roon>microrendu>Eitr>Gumby>AmpsandSound Kenzie Encore>Focal Elear/HD6XX/CA Andromeda. I love the sound of this system, especially the Kenzie.

When the virus hit and it looked like we were going to be locked down for a long time, I succumbed to all the excitement about the SR1A and ordered a pair along with the Jot R. It took a bit of time for the headphones and amp to make their way out of LA, during which I listened closely to my existing rig and selected music that I was eager to hear on the SR1A. Over those couple of weeks of attentive listening, I realized how great my existing system was.

When the SR1a finally arrived, I found myself listening to a bunch of classic rock. I was intrigued by the new detail I was hearing in albums that I have listened to my whole life. For me, it was completely mesmerizing to hear so deeply into albums that I knew so well. In almost every instance the depth and texture to the music was highly enjoyable. As always, a few recordings did not survive the equipment upgrade and in one peculiar instance I find Ray Manzarek's keyboards jarring in a way that I have never noticed. All in all, I was in love with the SR1A and the Jot R and elated with my purchase.

The second week after arrival it was necessary for me to get back to research and so I turned back to music that I can work to and spend most of my time listening to these days, free jazz. All I can say is that SR1A are made for this kind of music. The soundstage, imaging, texture, tone, and depth of this type of music is just astounding with the SR1A. I really couldn't be happier with my purchase. I find the headphones extremely comfortable. I was worried that I might be neurotic about the adjustability of the ribbons but that has not been a problem at all. I really like the ability to spread the soundstage out or bring it closer in. One thing I have waivered on is whether I want to keep the Kenzie and use it as a preamp in front of the Jot R for some tube goodness. I do like the way the combination sounds. I would hate to sell the Kenzie but I don't see myself going back to the elears for any reason. To be honest, I haven't put them on since the SR1A arrived. I could also experiment with bringing in my Yggy from my main system to replace the Gumby but the sound has been so good that I haven't really been motivated to fool with it. In short, if you are on the fence, I would enthusiastically recommend anyone inclined to take advantage of the Drop deal. I would be really happy to have the amp interface for $400 off. Thanks, again, Chris for sharing your experience with the SR1A. I look forward to reading your review.

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/4bcafe7b-020a-485e-9615-3d3e2aa9e719    

Are you sure you read the same Drop notification that I got in my e-mail a couple days ago? They were exactly $1.00 off. Regular $3500.00 for $3499.00!  I honestly thought it was a joke! Take a look here....

https://drop.com/buy/raal-requisite-sr1a-earfield-headphone?mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Drop%3A Request Launched&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Drop%3A Request Launched&utm_content=1587661558465.057993051995627119470926&referer=49TGYS

8 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Are you sure you read the same Drop notification that I got in my e-mail a couple days ago? They were exactly $1.00 off. Regular $3500.00 for $3499.00!  I honestly thought it was a joke! Take a look here....

https://drop.com/buy/raal-requisite-sr1a-earfield-headphone?mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Drop%3A Request Launched&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Drop%3A Request Launched&utm_content=1587661558465.057993051995627119470926&referer=49TGYS

Click through to checkout and it's $400 off. Not sure why they do it like that.

4 hours ago, cfisher said:

Click through to checkout and it's $400 off. Not sure why they do it like that.

Thanks for clarifying. I would never have caught that, as I've not seen them do it in the past. Typically they list the discounted price up front.

Nice deal for anyone who hasn't already purchased these,a s the RAAL dealers have virtually stayed firm at list. I called every one of them before buying mine about eight weeks back.

JC