IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

My Jot-R arrived today.  I will let it break in (Schiit says its ok to run with no load, etc) while I wait for updated shipping info on my SR1a's from the dealer.  They may be a couple weeks yet. :(  In the meantime, I am keeping my nostrils clean, ready for the Pearl.  :)

Seriously, I will use this time to unbox the dusty system and get it set up and running in a two box (server-NAA) system, sorting out what works and what doesn't, updating to HQP 4, etc etc.  I am sooo looking forward to getting back to listening to great music, and getting my system ready for its Colorado debut.  Then once the lower level is finished (we're about 50% right now, but in limbo) I can use what I learned to re-create down there.

7 hours ago, TubeLover said:

After four consecutive days listening to the RAAL's for 3-4 hour sessions, I almost feel like I need to issue a warning to those of you who have not yet purchased these incredible earspeakers but are considering it. Once, many years ago, a friend, a much traveled, experienced and successful individual passed on a bit of wisdom to me that has some relation to the RAAL's. What he said, in essence, was associated with cocaine. I was never a drug user of any type. Okay, I did smoke, and apparently unlike Bill Clinton, did  actually inhale, marijuana when in college on occasion at a party or gathering where it was provided! 

At any rate, the subject my wise friend was discussing was cocaine, and what he said to me was this, "don't even think of trying it unless you are prepared to have it take over your life, it's that entrancing and difficult to walk away from!" A fair number of people I knew, worked with, or knew of, did indeed pay dearly, both in monetary and life altering terms that a few never made it through. 

Consider the RAAL SR1a's as a form of audio cocaine, in this context. I read every word of the early commentary, and heard from some Head-Fi guru's I know, and explicitly trust, about how amazing they were. I also followed every moment of the overwhelmingly positive comments and early experiences Chris has had (I ordered mine just after he got his). Still,it's inherent in my nature to take anything with at least a grain of salt. Well, there isn't enough salt in the world to prepare one for hearing the SR1a's on a really good, preferably tubed amplifier.  

I thought I was absolutely and completely set for my future audio needs with a remarkable system that I had painstakingly assembled over the years. I can tell you in all honesty that the RAAL's have thrown a monkey wrench into things. They are THAT good! Perhaps the best way again to state it, is to quote something I noted earlier in this discussion, and which our founder, Chris agreed with. 

"I am not entirely sure that there are any freestanding, monitor or tower speakers that can completely match what the RAAL's can do. And if there are, I believe you are looking at least at the $65-100k or higher, range, of speakers, and likely an equal investment in amplification. And that's not to mention an ideal room, and sound treatments, both of which the RAAL's eliminate any need for."

You have been warned. Beware! 

JC

I started writing the review last night. I reads much like this post. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 hours ago, TubeLover said:

After four consecutive days listening to the RAAL's for 3-4 hour sessions, I almost feel like I need to issue a warning to those of you who have not yet purchased these incredible earspeakers but are considering it. Once, many years ago, a friend, a much traveled, experienced and successful individual passed on a bit of wisdom to me that has some relation to the RAAL's. What he said, in essence, was associated with cocaine. I was never a drug user of any type. Okay, I did smoke, and apparently unlike Bill Clinton, did  actually inhale, marijuana when in college on occasion at a party or gathering where it was provided! 

I'm really not trying to be a jerk, as I'm enjoying reading this thread, and I'm glad people have found a form of audio bliss. But...I'm keep thinking how great it is that I don't really like headphone listening: Otherwise I"d be wondering how I could get $5K together to enjoy these phones. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 minutes ago, firedog said:

I'm really not trying to be a jerk, as I'm enjoying reading this thread, and I'm glad people have found a form of audio bliss. But...I'm keep thinking how great it is that I don't really like headphone listening: Otherwise I"d be wondering how I could get $5K together to enjoy these phones. 

I wasn't a headphone guy before I got these. The SR1a has changed me. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Again, I think it is important not to consider these purely as headphones. Certainly not in the normal context. They do not present a soundstage at all like headphones. And to further emphasize things, and my perspective on that, I spent over a decade, years back, in the headphone world because of severe space constraints and taking the most logical path to get decent audio performance. I was very, very seriously into headphones and owned a fair collection of some of the best available equipment at the time. One of those pairs of headphones, a limited edition, I spent $1,100.00 to buy (then a kingly sum for headphones, at least non electrostatic ones) I sold, ten years later, for over $4000.00!  I also attended all the Head-Fi shows,and had many, many friends in the headphone community, including key people in the headphone and headphone amplifier manufacturing world. I was completely locked into that community and that type of audio presentation.

Eventually, over time, with continued exposure to very good speaker based systems, spending time at countless audio shows, attending near constant brick and mortar audio store demos, etc. I came back the realization that I was, and always had been, at heart, truly a "speaker guy".For all their other virtues, I realized that headphone listening had never created, for me, the level of excitement, that a special pair of speakers and a well match amplifier could.  

That moved me in the direction I have been in for the last decade. Strictly speaker oriented. I never remotely dreamed of going back to headphones. And I honestly ordered the RAAL's out of curiosity based on so many remarkable comments from people whose ears I trusted, more than half of which were "non-headphone, strictly speaker based audio buffs. I truly expected to return them for a full refund based on RAAL's policy after just checking them out. And now you see where THAT idea got me! :)

To find myself having managed to build what I think I could fairly consider a relatively near world class speaker based audio system, which has thrilled me every moment since I added the final touch, last September and then to see how much what the RAAL's can do has disrupted my audio life, and outlook is not something I could ever remotely have imagined. 

JC

4 hours ago, firedog said:

I  have about 7 headphones. None of which I would describe as comfortable for more than 4 hours of listening, eventually the pressure points/trapped heat become fatiguing.

So extended listening wear comfort has become as big a factor for me in buying any next headphone as sound quality.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

36 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I  have about 7 headphones. None of which I would describe as comfortable for more than 4 hours of listening, eventually the pressure points/trapped heat become fatiguing.

So extended listening wear comfort has become as big a factor for me in buying any next headphone as sound quality.

I completely understand your feelings in regard to comfort being critical for long term listening. Since the RAAL's make no contact with your ears, unlike headphones of a standard nature, I believe most of that concern is alleviated. Certainly there is zero trapped heat, and the only pressure point is where the strap sits on top of your head, and that is quite minimal. I find them more comfortable than any "headphones I've ever listened to for a long session. I would recommend at least trying on a pair should you have any interest.

JC

A forum lurker and posting for the first time.

Great review Chris, the SR1a deserves all the accolades in your review plus more. 

I’ve had them almost since they were made available in the US, drove them using a single Vidar, a single and dual SPL Performer s800 monoblocks, the Jotunheim R and was astonished by all the combos, the SPL Performer being the one that brought the most joy to my ears. Now I’m driving them using RAAL-requisite’s own direct drive amp, the HSA-1a and it turns the SR1a up to 11 or even 13 (yes, 13) I should say. It brings that sweet warmth, more body and soul to the sound, it sounds fuller, the bass gets heftier, more detailed and sweeter! It is a must for all SR1a owners...to me, this combo is by far the pinnacle of headphone listening experience.

0847160B-236A-4B05-B0B9-854FDA91E47A.jpeg

9 minutes ago, MrCypruz said:

A forum lurker and posting for the first time.

Great review Chris, the SR1a deserves all the accolades in your review plus more. 

I’ve had them almost since they were made available in the US, drove them using a single Vidar, a single and dual SPL Performer s800 monoblocks, the Jotunheim R and was astonished by all the combos, the SPL Performer being the one that brought the most joy to my ears. Now I’m driving them using RAAL-requisite’s own direct drive amp, the HSA-1a and it turns the SR1a up to 11 or even 13 (yes, 13) I should say. It brings that sweet warmth, more body and soul to the sound, it sounds fuller, the bass gets heftier, more detailed and sweeter! It is a must for all SR1a owners...to me, this combo is by far the pinnacle of headphone listening experience.

0847160B-236A-4B05-B0B9-854FDA91E47A.jpeg

Great to hear. 

I was thinking about the SR1a more today and how revealing they are of upstream choices. It’s so cool. 

I hope to hear the HSA-1a soon. Just can’t pull the trigger on $3,900 right now. 

2 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Oh, and has anyone heard anything regarding a longer cable being available for the SR1a's? I am in need of one to use it as I would like. 

JC

You can get an extension cable or a longer cable, but they aren't cheap. 

https://raalrequisite.com/shop/

Just now, AudioDoctor said:

Longer speaker cables might solve the problem?

That's what I did for part of the review, when I wanted to sit in my listening chair. The speaker cables that come with the SR1a are ridiculously short.

7 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Longer speaker cables might solve the problem?

Great idea, but I only have one pair of banana to banana speaker cables and they are already in use. Hmmmmmm...........thinking of what high quality (has to be great to be in connection with the RAAL's) banana connected 2m speaker cables I could locate for reasonable money. 

JC

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just noticed your connectors are different from what's on the RAAL site. 

hsa-front.jpg

Yes, Danny and Alex modified the unit to be more versatile. The unit on the website has two ribbon headphone outputs, the modified unit has regular 4-pin XLR female output for high efficiency headphones and a ribbon headphone output capable of driving both Earfield ribbon headphones and circumaural (to be released sometime in the future) and it comes with a 4-pin XLR female to female adapter for low efficiency headphones like the Susvara to be driven from the ribbon headphone output.

81417391-0F91-4371-BB2A-D2978569054E.jpeg

1 minute ago, MrCypruz said:

Yes, Danny and Alex modified the unit to be more versatile. The unit on the website has two ribbon headphone outputs, the modified unit has regular 4-pin XLR female output for high efficiency headphones and a ribbon headphone output capable of driving both Earfield ribbon headphones and circumaural (to be released sometime in the future) and it comes with a 4-pin XLR female to female adapter for low efficiency headphones like the Susvara to be driven from the ribbon headphone output.

81417391-0F91-4371-BB2A-D2978569054E.jpeg

Ah cool. Thanks. 

Just now, TubeLover said:

Great idea, but I only have one pair of banana to banana speaker cables and they are already in use. Hmmmmmm...........thinking of what high quality (has to be great to be in connection with the RAAL's) banana connected 2m speaker cables I could locate for reasonable money. 

JC

I got a 6ft extension from RAAL for $299 plus shipping, the total length is about 11ft now. The extension was well worthy for my needs. 

3 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

JC

Blue Jeans Cables

No electron left behind.