IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Getting in more amps to review with the SR1a is seriously a blast. 

Now I need another tube amp or two to try. Any recommendations?

Chris, I'm really curious to know if RAAL's HSA-1A direct drive amp competes with the best you've achieved with the ARC (or PASS 😎) through the amplifier interface box.

Is the HSA-1A on your list?

So UPS changed their mind again and delivered the RAALs today!  Yea!  I have done very little listening so far, but I very much like what I hear.  I am not using the correct cabling (just using some Mogami balanced while I search for my good audiophile cabling) but so far so good.  One thing though; there is not an overwhelming dynamism as some folks have described.  I'm wondering if it is due to break in, Jot-R, cabling, etc etc.

Question: if I decide to put my Microzotl tubed preamp in front of the Jot-R, I expect to use the pre's volume control.  Where should I set the Jot-R volume (woild be used as a sort of power amp only)?  All the way up?

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

These are other fine tube amps that I would love to ead a review of connected to the RAALs:

http://www.vac-amps.com/productPages/statement450s_IQ.html

And these, which could sound simply incredible:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9ibd0-lamm-ml1-tube

And these, which are still being made, and a bargain:

http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/v4/

JC

On 5/9/2020 at 9:22 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Fabulous amps. Can blow the woofers out of any speaker without breaking of sweat. I wish I would’ve got the model one step down. Less heat, still enough power. 

So you prefer them to the Constellation you had?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 5/11/2020 at 12:59 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm getting the Parasound HINT 6 Halo integrated amp in for review to pair with the SR1a. For $2,995 I hear this amp is the best value in HiFi. Parasound's Richard Schram was excited the amp would be paired with the RAALs. He said the new JC 1+ would really take them to another level. 

https://parasound.com/hint6.php

hint6_silver_front.jpg

hint6_silver_back.jpg

hint6_black_inside.jpg

Yes, that amp seems like a real giant killer. I think there are several amps in the $2500-$4000 range that give the 5 figure and multiple 5 figure amps a run for their money. That last bit of performance, if you can hear it, is VERY expensive.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

KRAudio

Manley

Rogue

Nagra

Shindo

That is the short list...

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

5 hours ago, cfisher said:

For Spectral, you can take a look at this review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/raal-requisite-sr1a.23620/reviews

I think the Spectral amps would only push things over the edge towards too much speed, dynamics and treble.Much as the review said. 

The only solid state amps that I found to enhance the Sr1a's sound in the right direction were the Modwright 100SE and 150SE. And even those were surpassed by tube amps in terms of harnessing things just enough to mellow the midrange, and high end, and also to allow a richer, depth of tone and overall sonics.

JC

On 5/12/2020 at 8:10 AM, jcbenten said:

KRAudio

Manley

Rogue

Nagra

Shindo

That is the short list...

Nice list. Though, while I greatly respect Rogue for making quality products at reasonable prices in the US, I'm not sure I would be looking to pair that combination.

The more powerful Manley's are certainly worth a try. And I would never pass on a chance to try Nagra gear. Shindo is absolutely wonderful stuff but I wasn't aware they produced anything remotely powerful enough for the RAAL's? 

JC

15 minutes ago, ted_b said:

So I am continuing to go slowly, mainly due to gremlins and other pests (Roon clients can see my Roonserver but can't seem to access it; I can't find BOTH sets of my audiophile grade rca cables in order to set up Microzotl as tubed preamp, etc) but now have SU-1 running (powered by LPS1), JS-2 powering the Startech hdd enclosure and USB card, and continue to drag-n-drop playlists into HQPlayer 3.20.2 (old but works).  Still single box Win 10 but allows me to develop a baseline...my initial goal.

Third day conclusions: once I got the hang (pun intended) of the RAAL ear/head positioning, and got the system warmed up for about 60+ hours I can honestly say that these headphones are not very good headphones.........but they are phenomenal little ribbon speakers hanging off my head!!!  That's what they sound like...tiny Apogees strapped to my head!  Amazing, even with the somewhat clinical Schiit Jot-R amp.  Oh, and the dynamics have shown up too....VERY nice.  I can't wait for my tubed pre to add a little color and soul to the mix.  :)

Good to hear Ted. There really is nothing like them in the headphone world, that I'm aware of. 

The J-R is really good and I think it's a piece that most SR1a owners should have in their arsenal, but it isn't perfect. I don't believe it's as dynamic as the VT80 SE I used throughout most of my review. 

Getting the hang of hanging them off your head is a bit strange at first. Now, it's second nature. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I really need to hear these things, and you Chris need to hear the Susvara driven by my amp/dac combo. I am curious to know how the two will compare. The Susvara are the most dynamic and detailed anything I have ever heard, thats including headphones and speakers.

No electron left behind.

23 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I really need to hear these things, and you Chris need to hear the Susvara driven by my amp/dac combo. I am curious to know how the two will compare. The Susvara are the most dynamic and detailed anything I have ever heard, thats including headphones and speakers.

Agreed. 

Once the world is right side up, it’s game on :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png