IGNORED

The problem with subjective impressions

Summit

26 minutes ago, mansr said:

Disagreed. Long-term changes (e.g. electrolytic caps drying out) won't be undone by any duration of operation.

But apparently one DAC manufacturer has designed an in-built system which compensates for component ageing:

http://www.lavryengineering.com/wiki/index.php/LavryGold_DA924

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

52 minutes ago, mansr said:

Agreed.

Disagreed. Long-term changes (e.g. electrolytic caps drying out) won't be undone by any duration of operation.

That is not my experience with electros such as used in the John Linsley Hood PSU add-on capacitance multiplier section where they have around 600mV across them.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I wasn't talking about dead components. I was talking about electros that didn't have a huge number of hours on them, and in fact, many of the constructors of the JLH PCBs, of which >800 were supplied worldwide, found that initially when using 2 x parallel 4,700uF in the capacitance multiplier area,that the transistor powering them often became quite warm in the first 24 hours or so, and it was better to form them using a bench PSU before use. This wasn't a problem when using 2 x 2,200uF though.

NUMEROUS constructors reported that the sound quality went through cycles initially, where with around about around 30 hours on the PCB it sounded like something was very wrong. After approx. 72 hours of use they appear to have fully stabilised.

Many have also found that NOS electros that haven't been used also benefit from a period of time on a Bench PSU or a device called ä "Cap Rack" before installation.

The Cap Rack.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

55 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

what we need is a  DAC manufacturer to design an in-built system which compensates for neural accommodation

What the forum needs is an inbuilt filter to automatically remove your inane and non wanted comments that add nothing of value to the threads.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

What the forum needs is an inbuilt filter to automatically remove your inane and non wanted comments that add nothing of value to the threads.

As you know, the forum already has an option to hide a user's posts (except when quoted by another user). :)

Ignore.jpg

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

21 minutes ago, Allan F said:

As you know, the forum already has an option to hide a user's posts (except when quoted by another user). :)

Allan

We have been through this before. The problem is where certain members occasionally do have something quite worthwhile to contribute in a particular thread .

There are some subjects where Ralf11 IS well informed.

Regards

Alex

19 hours ago, Allan F said:

Yes. In particular, rock music containing electric guitar driving a guitar amp into distortion tends to make the sound quite distorted on playback.

On a serious note, example symptoms are that, playing classical prior to conditioning yields string section tone which is dull and lifeless. I would then play, yes, heavy driving rock for an hour or so; and then repeat that same orchestral number - the strings are now sweet, full of character, pleasing to listen to.

There's one pretty obvious reason why this occurs; the power supply smoothing caps, and decoupling units sprinkled throughout have an internal resistance, the ESR, which falls as their temperature rises - if one does some analysis of circuits, the effectiveness of the caps is highly dependent on that ESR - a very straightforward, known physical behaviour.

https://www.avnet.com/wps/portal/abacus/resources/article/understanding-esr-in-electrolytic-capacitors/

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

There are some subjects where Ralf11 IS well informed.

The forum also provides an option to exercise if you have reason to believe that an Ignored User may have posted something of interest or value. IMO and experience, such instances are few and far between.

Options.jpg

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

6 hours ago, marce said:

I get the impression from these sort of comment on this thread and similar comments on other threads by others, that the hardcore subjective fraternity won't be happy until I and certain other members are banned and every thread is censored and cleansed of any comments they don't like. The forum has already been stifled by recent events and there are specific threads to discuss this, instead of every thread getting polluted by this negativity. What was an interesting forum full of lively debate has turned into a rather dull place, where the only conversations allowed are approved ones.

That's right.  IIRC, Bill explained why that is.

7 hours ago, marce said:

I get the impression from these sort of comment on this thread and similar comments on other threads by others, that the hardcore subjective fraternity won't be happy until I and certain other members are banned and every thread is censored and cleansed of any comments they don't like. The forum has already been stifled by recent events and there are specific threads to discuss this, instead of every thread getting polluted by this negativity. What was an interesting forum full of lively debate has turned into a rather dull place, where the only conversations allowed are approved ones.

Your interpretation of my post does not at all reflect my intention or beliefs. I have no interest in banning people. That power is Chris' alone. exercised when he believes a member has egregiously breached the rules of the forum. As for "censorship", my post was simply a reminder that individual members can hide the posts of those users who they find to be offensive, of no value, or both. I do not advocate the general "cleaning of any comments they don't like" from any forum. Having said that, I reserve the right, as does every member, to attempt to avoid being subjected to what I consider to be the pollution spewed by certain members. It has nothing to do with disagreeing with a philosophical point of view, as evidenced by the fact that you are not one of the very view members on my Ignore List.

15 hours ago, Allan F said:

Your interpretation of my post does not at all reflect my intention or beliefs. I have no interest in banning people. That power is Chris' alone. exercised when he believes a member has egregiously breached the rules of the forum. As for "censorship", my post was simply a reminder that individual members can hide the posts of those users who they find to be offensive, of no value, or both. I do not advocate the general "cleaning of any comments they don't like" from any forum. Having said that, I reserve the right, as does every member, to attempt to avoid being subjected to what I consider to be the pollution spewed by certain members. It has nothing to do with disagreeing with a philosophical point of view, as evidenced by the fact that you are not one of the very view members on my Ignore List.

Sorry I used your post to make my point, on reflection another post, on another thread (Que Sam, Play it once, would probably been better for my mini rant...😀

33 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

I know that you have a pretty good grasp on some science fundamentals, but an area where you aren't as familiar as law is the scientific / engineering world.  I have been published in refereed journals and been a reviewer.  In the science world you have to tell someone specifically where and why their assumptions or conclusions aren't / can't be correct.  There are no ifs, ands or buts - it's all physics.  Somebody failed to tell the cold-fusion folks they had their heads somewhere besides in the lab.  There are nicer ways to say it, perhaps, but as scientists and engineers it is our responsibility to not let the idiots of the world try to make shit up as they go.  People also aren't always good at communication (No, really?) so the way they write conflates facts with subjective impressions.  And, some just don't know the difference in their own mind.

Let me pose a hypothetical situation involving communication between an engineer and a layperson.

You're an engineer, and your neighbor tells you about a fuel additive he's using in his car that you know for a fact can't work. Do you figure you'll get a more positive reception confronting him as directly as possible, or trying to help him understand in a friendly way that this stuff won't work?

You explain to him it won't work and why, but he persists in believing and in purchasing the additive. Do you suppose you'll meet with better success if you repeatedly explain to him why he's wrong?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.