IGNORED

The problem with subjective impressions

Summit

27 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

When Tidal was brimming with UMG audibly watermarked files (seems some/many have been replaced with MQA), people listening with headphones seemed much more likely to notice than those listening with speakers.  To me, that's a ringing endorsement of headphone listening.

That’s an interesting take but one I’m not sure I agree with. Yes, headphones can reveal this kind of stuff, but I don’t believe this equates to a real performance as the artist intended. Being able to pick out abnormalities like this certainly means they are more audible via headphones, but I’m just not sold that it also means headphones provide a more realistic representation of the recorded event. 

As always I’m willing to be persuaded and love to listen. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That’s an interesting take but one I’m not sure I agree with. Yes, headphones can reveal this kind of stuff, but I don’t believe this equates to a real performance as the artist intended. Being able to pick out abnormalities like this certainly means they are more audible via headphones, but I’m just not sold that it also means headphones provide a more realistic representation of the recorded event. 

As always I’m willing to be persuaded and love to listen. 

Since almost all my listening is with headphones/IEMs, I'm not missing what you would miss with headphones.  And no, I don't use DSP crossfeed as I prefer my playback to be pristine. 😎

Just now, Samuel T Cogley said:

Since almost all my listening is with headphones/IEMs, I'm not missing what you would miss with headphones.  And no, I don't use DSP crossfeed as I prefer my playback to be pristine. 😎

I use IEMs every night and must say I enjoy the music through them immensely. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

When Tidal was brimming with UMG audibly watermarked files (seems some/many have been replaced with MQA), people listening with headphones seemed much more likely to notice than those listening with speakers.  To me, that's a ringing endorsement of headphone listening.

You have to enjoy it.

For it's a weird, unnatural listening experience and not particularly comfortable.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

7 hours ago, esldude said:

Pretty much at some threshold of fidelity all DACs that measure above the threshold will sound the same.  Where the threshold is might need work or not.  I think this is a problem for many audiophiles.  They just can't believe there becomes a point where everything sounds the same as everything else meeting some given performance spec.  But it will.......or it has.

There are many reasons to buy this DAC vs another beyond sound quality.  Just don't get confused about why you are choosing one. 

Although I am sure you are correct, I just haven't seen this as of yet. I've not owned uber high end DACs, but I switched from a Berkeley Audio DAC to a Weiss DAC2 at one point. They sounded clearly different here. At the time, I think they were both in the 3-5k range. My present DACs are DIY, and they all sound different than the Weiss or each other. I kept the Weiss until I could beat it.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

9 hours ago, daverich4 said:

I think a preference for or against headphones is more than that. I have HD800’s, Audeze LCD-3’s and Focal Clears. I much prefer listening to my stereo over any of them. 

I too prefer to listen over speakers when possible. But when one lives in an apartment as do I, one cannot “raise the roof” with realistic orchestral SPLs, so headphone listening is necessary sometimes. I decided to embrace headphones and having decided that, I might as well find the best that I could afford. At the moment, that’s the HiFiMan Jade2 electrostatics with the Stax SR-L007s as a close second.

George