IGNORED

The problem with subjective impressions

Summit

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Put another way, if all the bugs die, all the people die. If all the people die, all the bugs will be just fine :~)

https://www.amazon.com/World-Without-Us-Alan-Weisman-ebook/dp/B000U20486

Nuclear power plants and spent fuel pools, it's gonna be mighty interesting to watch survival of the fittest after we're gone because of such radioactive half-life.

12 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

I would prefer new and better octopi.

As seafood or our galactic overlords?  In view of the possibility of the latter, I refrain from the former.  IMHO not a good  look to have to admit to the octopoid  invaders that you’ve been chowing down on their relations.

1 minute ago, Norton said:

As seafood or our new galactic overlords?  In view of the possibility of the latter, I refrain from the former.  IMHO not a good  look to have to admit to the octopoid  invaders that you’ve been chowing down on their relations.

I’m assuming the bi-peds screwed up and therefore don’t really deserve a reprise. In the grand scheme of things I don’t think nature cares about who ate who. Octopus intelligence has evolved along completely different lines from humans and it seems only fair they should be given a shot to evolve their equivalent of language and writing systems (squid ink based?) and whatnot. 

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm glad you found some information that you like and that suits your needs. 

Who actually believes that they can decide the perfect component to purchase form reviews??? OK, if a lot of negatives then you may have something to "not" go for.  There is no way that another person's impression, whose tastes you really don't know, should influence you.  I'm not that easily lead.  Problem is that there is no way short of a long car / plane trip to audition equipment.  Not to mention if it is only sold on the web.  That's a conundrum. 

1 minute ago, Solstice380 said:

Who actually believes that they can decide the perfect component to purchase form reviews??? OK, if a lot of negatives then you may have something to "not" go for.  There is no way that another person's impression, whose tastes you really don't know, should influence you.  I'm not that easily lead.  Problem is that there is no way short of a long car / plane trip to audition equipment.  Not to mention if it is only sold on the web.  That's a conundrum. 

This is interesting. You can use a group of negative reviews but not positive reviews? Care to square that?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is interesting. You can use a group of negative reviews but not positive reviews? Care to square that?

Expectation bias on the part of the reviewer.  Nobody WANTS to do a negative review so if it out there the product must really be bad.  It takes forever to prove a theory right and one negative instance to prove it wrong.

Haven't they had eons already and didn't?

You could have said that about the bipeds until very recently, less than 500k to 100k years or so.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Doesn't that go both ways?

3 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

Expectation bias on the part of the reviewer.  Nobody WANTS to do a negative review so if it out there the product must really be bad.  It takes forever to prove a theory right and one negative instance to prove it wrong.

See new edit.  You are fast with that mouse!

No where near as long as those squiggly things have been around.  So they aren't evolving very fast.

We had been busily evolving for a long time, not just the 500k years or less when we came up with language, and then much more recently (less than 10k years) when we came up with writing systems.

1 minute ago, esldude said:

If one is careful, you can separate value from description if you try. 

One man's trash is another man's treasure.  Nobody can determine the value for you, that's up to you.  And there really isn't any way to measure the magnitude of these differences.  So reviews of anything other than functionality and whether or not it hurt the reviewers ears are useless.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Value is like beauty, in the eye or wallet of the beholder. 

Which is why good reviews tend to avoid that.  You would need to touch upon it at some point in regards to cost vs performance although one can do a good review leaving even that out.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

One man's trash is another man's treasure.  Nobody can determine the value for you, that's up to you.  And there really isn't any way to measure the magnitude of these differences.  So reviews of anything other than functionality and whether or not it hurt the reviewers ears are useless.

I don't agree at all past your second sentence.  Any reviews for which that is true are not worth the time it took to write them.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Just now, esldude said:

I don't agree at all past your second sentence.  Any reviews for which that is true are not worth the time it took to write them.

Okay, we agree to disagree on this one. 🙂  Can a reviewer truly determine the value of something for you?  i don't think you really mean it that way do you?  You seem an independent sort who proves things to themselves.  Your posts may just read that way.