IGNORED

Blue Jeans Cable goes High-End

semente

20 hours ago, semente said:

BJC is bandied as a serious company. Now it looks like they're seriously after a slice of the lucrative high-end cable pie.

Can you think of anything with a higher added value than high-end cables?

Saffron?

And this one product they are marketing makes them a joke? 

I'll just ignore it and continue to buy their other cables, which aren't expensive, are custom and well made, and come with measurements showing they meet spec. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I’m not sure how this is new information. If heat didn’t radiate out through a vacuum then Apollo 13 would not have been cold soaked after turning off the heater, heck they wouldn’t even need one. Another question is how did they keep the astronauts from getting cooked by the sun or freezing when not in sunlight?

so many questions...

I understand space isn’t a perfect vacuum but it’s sure as hell empty enough that normal modes of heat radiation won’t work. 

maybe I should have paid more attention in Physics classes. 

This is a different effect entirely. Spacecraft have, obviously, always relied on infrared radiation to lose excess heat. The article talks about the discovery of heat transfer between two objects separated by a vacuum exceeding the amount of IR radiation. This effect works only on the nanometre scale, so it has no relevance for spacecraft.

15 hours ago, Jud said:

It's a different phenomenon than radiative heating. But I can't see that it's very surprising. There are all sorts of forces/particles being interchanged all the time in the "vacuum," and why should phonons carrying heat energy be an exception?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect and https://phys.org/news/2018-07-uncovering-interplay-famous-quantum-effects.html .

Maybe I am having a really dense day, but I don’t see how they can eliminate radiative heating. The heat from a spacecraft also has to radiate out a few hundred nanometers, and beyond. Either, they are saying space is full of particles that can carry the heat energy away from the spacecraft, or...?

No electron left behind.

5 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Maybe I am having a really dense day, but I don’t see how they can eliminate radiative heating. The heat from a spacecraft also has to radiate out a few hundred nanometers, and beyond. Either, they are saying space is full of particles that can carry the heat energy away from the spacecraft, or...?

Photons vs. phonons. 🙂 I don't know whether they measured heating over and above what one would expect from infrared, or set up the experiment to eliminate infrared radiation.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 12/15/2019 at 7:55 PM, SuperRoo said:

Oh please, BJ cables makes good quality cables at a reasonable prices.The new stuff is a separate thing, they even brand it differently.

Hmmm ... BJC says this on their website:

"We can sell you some very expensive cable, if you want it. We have some coaxes that could endure baking in the oven, like Belden 89259 or 89248, and these cost a lot of money. If your application requires that, then these are the best to use because they won't melt and burn up; but if you aren't asking about special applications and the like, our standard recommendations -- which often are also our lowest-priced -- are truly the best product we know of for the application, so don't let the presence of a costlier alternative on our site make you worry that you're not buying the best cable for your needs."

mQa is dead!

Many companies sells both rather inexpensive and very expansive cables. AQ and Wire world are two examples. Blue Jeans Cable have made some statements about expansive cables in the past that can be interpreted like they are no better than their more reasonably priced ones.

I have 3 Blue Jeans Cables and have find other cables in the same price range to "sound better". Two examples are Supra and Cable solutions.

I have been shopping for cables to finish off my system and right now am using  Belden, Grimm, and Gotham.  I have looked at more expensive audiophile offerings, however.  There seems to be a lot of similarity in the the approach.  I guess you can only do so much with wire.

1. Stranded cable is rare among expensive audiophile offerings

2. Most companies seem to use multiple thinner solid core conductors emphasizing the purity of the copper

3. Various sometimes "exotic" materials are used to cover/space the conductors including natural materials, tubing, air, etc.  Weaving is also big.

4. Silver and sometimes gold enter the equation as you move up the line

5. Really expensive cables tend to be rather thickly constructed

The Iconoclast seem to be following suit with their design.  I believe Blue Jean just puts it all together for them, like they do with other Belden cable.  I suppose that may involve weaving the wire as well, but I don't know. 

Can anyone tell me how make a low inductance and capacitance cable?  The figure given by OP seemed low enough and the only other cable falls in this category was the Kimber ( one of the series). Sanders Mogami cable got very low Inductance but with high Capacitance. I don’t think buyers really got a choice but to pay  the asking price.