IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

8 minutes ago, MartinT said:

...I meant to add, I also have grounding boxes SGS-1 on my TP-Link router and SGS-1s on my Mutec reclocker.  The trick is to use a grounding box on everything digital to sink the ground plane noise away.

Glad to see grounding is also working magic in your setup!  I haven't tried those brands, but they do look good.  I was surprised that all the network gear has responded well.  In the closet, one Entreq Infinity silver box handles the router, nas and fmc at the same time which helps with the cost (the entry ground cable works well).  The K2/Everest stabilizer adds an extra kick of energy and realism (similar to the GTX NCF, but without the analytical sonic signature).  The level of improvement from grounding is on par to providing the 3 devices with linear power from the Keces/Sbooster PSUs.  I agree, so far it really does seem every digital device needs that secondary ground drain even if the power has conditioning.  I'll report back next month when I have the eR on how well it responds to the ground box - awesome that it has a ground screw.

I don't have an external clock to experiment with, so I strongly encourage the design of a ClockREGEN!

On 6/21/2020 at 11:14 AM, FrankMA said:

Darko door stop

I'd missed this one. Love it. Ordered from Mr Bezos.

Dammit Frank, will you stop costing me money!! 😄

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Hi Al - I think it is circular.....or payback!  Not sure 😂

At least the door stop is reasonable

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

I recently changed my final B out ethernet cable from a chord C stream to an AQ vodka.

Immediate impressions were the differences were nil to very marginal in favour of AQ. The next day I thought it was a bit better again and possibly a tiny bit better again the following day, but all within the realms of am I imagining it... ?

I left it in , I had picked it up 2nd hand for a good price.

A week later I picked up a 2nd hand DIY Paul Hynes PR 3 regulated toroidal LPS with a captive kimber PBJ   DC lead. I’m feeding it with an early Isotek optimum power cord which is a shielded design , I bought it 2nd hand for about £50. There is an SR blue fuse in the plug. This was a very obvious and significant improvement over the little meanwell brick (which I also had on the same isotek power cord).

Five days later again after having dropout issues and reading other threads I put my old Cisco 2960 in front of the Etherregen and also powered this with another Isotek Optima powercord I think this one has an Isoclean fuse. This not only fixed my dropout issues it also gave another noticeable lift To sound quality (I’m amazed how many levels of SQ there are it seems never ending).

treble is more relaxed, bass too , I thought it was clean before..... wrong! more details there too, my sound stage has actually shrunk a bit though in height , my images are better defined and there is more depth but a noticeable drop in height.

I would equate the LPS and Cisco before ER changes to be the equivalent or possibly even a bit better than putting the ER in the system in the first place. I may also now actually be getting more benefits from the AQ vodka (trouble is I cant confirm that as the short C stream is now running from my cisco to the ER. I will now also look into going fibre between the Cisco and the ER.

I have all my system on isolation , stillpoints ultra SS under Rel Stentor iii. Double stacked black ravioli mk 1 with an oak cone top under my Lyngdorf TDAI 3400. Black ravioli big foot under Isotek Sigmas Gii power conditioner. BR small under ER, BR mk1 under apple TV 4th gen and just oak cones for now under the Cisco. Townshend speaker bars under standmount Proac tablette 10 signature monitors.

Perfect path technologies total contact, alpha e cards and omega emats. SR blue and orange fuses, liberal use of fo.q damping tape and a russ andrews ultra purifier (also under BR mk1 and oak cones).

The sound of the system now just amazes me the room fills with sound with 3 D imaging and very good tonality. I just know that there is still some more on the table and Im going to experiment with more power cords and isolation and a DC blocker modification to my power consitioner but Im keeping the budget for that to sensible levels. 

On the weekend I replaced the HDPlex LPS powering my ER with an Sbooster 10 volt with a spare SR Blue fuse to very good effect in terms of detail, texture, sound stage, bass and imaging.

This afternoon I switched from wired Ethernet (AQ Cinnamon) to fiber with the 10Gtek converter to the ER's SFP on the A side. I believe I got a further uptick in sound quality. It seems to play to the ER's strengths in terms of intimacy, staging and that "in the room" feeling I so clearly noticed when I first installed the ER..For less that $100, it's definitely worth exploring....

Andy

From personal experience I would say that a good power supply improves the Uptone regen unit enough to warrant purchasing one. Having tried one or two and each one having their own effects on the resultant SQ.

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

I installed an SPF into my Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-Si and when I hook everything up the indicator LED lights are not coming on.

I have been using this switch for a wile and I wanted to upgrade the connection from the switch to the router with FO.

I purchased a TP-Link MC200CM Gigabit Multi-mode Media converter. An OM3 50/125 um Duplex FO patch cable. TP-Link TL-SM311LM 1000base-SX MMF Mini GBIC Module.

The module is the one recommended by TP-Link to work with the converter and TP-Link said that it will work with my Cisco Switch.  I checked the they are both 850nm and the spec sheets say that they work with the 125um cable.

Is there something I need to do to enable power to the SFP port on the Switch?  I can connect my computer to the switch, the manual says that I can use any port and type the 10. address.

I am not a computer guy so please, any instructions, make them for a six year old.

I heard the module make the click when I plugged it in.

Thank you very much

3 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

I installed an SPF into my Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-Si and when I hook everything up the indicator LED lights are not coming on.

I have been using this switch for a wile and I wanted to upgrade the connection from the switch to the router with FO.

I purchased a TP-Link MC200CM Gigabit Multi-mode Media converter. An OM3 50/125 um Duplex FO patch cable. TP-Link TL-SM311LM 1000base-SX MMF Mini GBIC Module.

The module is the one recommended by TP-Link to work with the converter and TP-Link said that it will work with my Cisco Switch.  I checked the they are both 850nm and the spec sheets say that they work with the 125um cable.

Is there something I need to do to enable power to the SFP port on the Switch?  I can connect my computer to the switch, the manual says that I can use any port and type the 10. address.

I am not a computer guy so please, any instructions, make them for a six year old.

I heard the module make the click when I plugged it in.

Thank you very much

Not working on the Cisco or the eR? If not the Cisco, you may need to reset to factory defaults if it hasn't already been. You'll need a console, or usb cable depending on the age and model of the switch and then either a Windows pc or know how to use terminal on a mac. Lots of online instructions. Also, Cisco switches need to have a Cisco coded SFP - whether it's OEM or a third party SFP. Not just anything will work in them. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

2 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Not working on the Cisco or the eR? If not the Cisco, you may need to reset to factory defaults if it hasn't already been. You'll need a console, or usb cable depending on the age and model of the switch and then either a Windows pc or know how to use terminal on a mac. Lots of online instructions. Also, Cisco switches need to have a Cisco coded SFP - whether it's OEM or a third party SFP. Not just anything will work in them. 

Thank you.

The issue is on the Cisco switch.  
i’ve had it for a long time now, I do remember holding down the button on the front when I first got it. So I think it has been reset.

I used an ethernet cable and connected it to my Mac book pro.  I put  10.0.0.1 into the browser , It did not work   I tried the consul port and a regular port on the switch.

I tried two different ethernet cables. 
I unplugged it and plugged it back in so that it would power cycle.
it looks like I’m doing pretty well here😃

The reset button is different to the resetting the settings to factory default, which is what you may need to do as the 2960 is a managed switch.

I had to do it with my one (well the guys at work did it for me in 10 minutes) it would have been a right pain for me as I'm technically challenged with IT.

I will look at the manual to see what it says about factory default, thank you.

I will bet that is probably the SFP.

At the last minute when ordering, I ordered the TP Link SFP. I was told by TP link that it would work with my switch. And I knew it would be compatible with the TP Link converter.  The leadtime for the Cisco SFP was longer, so I changed my mind at the last minute.

it took me forever, hours, to determine the specifications for the switch. I got bounced all over Cisco, only to find that they wouldn’t really tell me anything because they don’t support that switch any longer.

they then referred me to the community board.

I have been going there to ask questions before I come here.

I will order the Cisco SFP.

1 hour ago, drjimwillie said:

I will bet that is probably the SFP.

At the last minute when ordering, I ordered the TP Link SFP. I was told by TP link that it would work with my switch. And I knew it would be compatible with the TP Link converter.  

I will order the Cisco SFP.

Some people have had trouble with TP-Link transceivers in the EtherREGEN (at least the TL-SM311LM that Sonore/SGC have been selling/including with their optical boxes).

So you might try this one for $14 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U77VPX2

I have bought these several times and they have solve problems for people.  And they are coded for Cisco. I have used this in my Catalyst 2960. :D

Very cool, thank you.

I am trying to get my infrastructure prepared for the next batch of the optical modules.

from my Verizon FiOS router, this TP Link converter will send to my Cisco switch which has everything else in the house on it including the Wi-Fi. 

The OM will go from the router to the EtherRegen which will then feed my server.

all of this is exciting, but it is very hard work.

everything sounds wonderful now. 

Hi, I am having trouble keeping the connection of roon (via SonicTransport i5) to my devialet with CATSNAKE Cat6a Ethernet as the switch to devialet connection. Other ethernet cables are fine. When it works with the CATSNAKE it sound fantastic but will all of a sudden just stop , losing connection. I have a cisco before the ER. Anyone else experienced this and if so did you find a solution? 

Thanks

31 minutes ago, Snowman8888 said:

Hi, I am having trouble keeping the connection of roon (via SonicTransport i5) to my devialet with CATSNAKE Cat6a Ethernet as the switch to devialet connection. Other ethernet cables are fine. When it works with the CATSNAKE it sound fantastic but will all of a sudden just stop , losing connection. I have a cisco before the ER. Anyone else experienced this and if so did you find a solution? 

Hi:

I see this is your first post to Audiophile Style, so a big welcome to you!

Unless your real name is Gary W., I can tell you that we did recently have one other report of someone (Gary) having your same trouble with CATSNAKE Cat6a cabling!  I have no idea why that would be so, but I guess there is something about that cable that disagrees with the EtherREGEN. Makes no sense. But if you can get it to work with other cables then that's your answer.

We do have a lot of Devialet users enjoying the EtherREGEN, so there should be no problem there.

Have a great weekend,

--Alex C.

8 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi:

I see this is your first post to Audiophile Style, so a big welcome to you!

Unless your real name is Gary W., I can tell you that we did recently have one other report of someone (Gary) having your same trouble with CATSNAKE Cat6a cabling!  I have no idea why that would be so, but I guess there is something about that cable that disagrees with the EtherREGEN. Makes no sense. But if you can get it to work with other cables then that's your answer.

We do have a lot of Devialet users enjoying the EtherREGEN, so there should be no problem there.

Have a great weekend,

--Alex C.

Respectfully the problem is somewhere else. That makes no sense. They are simply Belden broadcast cables. I have a full loom of CatSnake Cat6a cables and no problem with Roon Nucleus and two daisychained EtherRegens to a Naim ND555.

8 hours ago, Snowman8888 said:

Thanks

I and others have found the EtherRegen can get "upset" after several cable swaps and start dropping out, after which it will require a power down and restart. Give it time for everything to properly discharge or you may find you have to do it twice.

On 6/19/2020 at 2:57 PM, FrankMA said:

I have a bit of improvement overload with items I have bought recently and I’m trying to space it out:

Innuos Phoenix

Farad Super 3

Next

Change to shipped Phasure Lush config
Lush 2 replacing Lush 1

Audio Sensibilities for the Farad

AQ Hurricane on the PS DAC 

good problems to have 😀

I did space out the Phoenix and the Farad and was very happy with those changes. 

I got a bit impatient since I had to rearrange a bunch of items in my rack and added in:

1. Lush 2 replacement for my Lush 1
  2. AQ Hurricance on the DAC (replacing an older Shunyata Python CX)

At these hours I was very impressed with what I was hearing:

Phoenix (611)

Farad (196)

AC Hurricane (106)

Lush 2 (118)

Was listening to Todd Rundgren's "Can We Still Be Friends" and I have never heard this song in my system sound this good. Depth, separation, clarity, punch in a very quiet background!

Continued my impatience and added in the Audios Sensibilities Signature Silver DC cable to the Farad. Nice uptick cold out of the box. That should improve going forward.

Tired a few isolation changes (IsoAcoustics Orea Orange/Herbies) to no/little benefit. Been looking at the Symposium Svelte shelf to place the Farad/ER on since they are alone on the same shelf. However they recommend not putting anything on this shelf with rubber/sorbathane feet which both of these devices seem to have.

Anybody have experience with this product for a similar application?

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase