IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 6/5/2020 at 2:58 PM, Lucie said:

To come to a clear conclusion: the Farad is a huge improvement for the ER over the SMPS

Hello @Lucie Any grounding issues switching to the 12V Farad Super 3?

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

Appreciate the fast answer Lucie. Had just ordered the Farad Super 3 for the ER. Thank you

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

3 hours ago, FrankMA said:

Appreciate the fast answer Lucie. Had just ordered the Farad Super 3 for the ER. Thank you

At least a couple of people who compared the 7v Farad with higher voltage Farads With their ER and found that the 7v sounded a bit better. Should be back in this thread somewhere. Cost is the same should be easy to change the order. Unless of course you had a 12v application elsewhere that wasn’t the ER?

Thanks for that. I thought the recommendation was 12V. Will see if I can change it. Definitely for the ER

thanks again

5 hours ago, FrankMA said:

Thanks for that. I thought the recommendation was 12V. Will see if I can change it. Definitely for the ER

thanks again

I just ordered a Super3 for my ER but went with 12v as there are a few other devices here that take 12v so I can see what benefit a Super3 might bring to them as well. With the ER also drawing less current at 12v, I wonder if it’ll run a little cooler at 12v.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hi @kennyb123 I'm definitely confused on which way to go here.  Buying specifically for the ER.  Asking Mattijs what his thoughts are for this application

12 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

I'm definitely confused on which way to go here.  Buying specifically for the ER. 

Why not get a Paul Hynes SR4T-12 then you can switch between 7,9,12V and see what is best.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

That would be great I'm sure. But A couple of reasons: 1) cost 2) wait time. Farad is shipping today

Mattijs has indicated 7V is predominant for the ER so I have changed my order. Thanks for the help everyone

Paul Hynes is a lovely chap but he lives on South Uist (one of the Hebrides off the coast of Scotland) and is a one-man band. His order lead time can be lengthy, but always worth the wait.

I have one of his older PR4 modules made into a power supply and must dig it out for re-use sometime. The performance is superb with very low noise.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

The long wait times only extend to custom builds by PH but that is now closed.

I think the standard supplies from PH Ltd including the SR4T's are shipping relatively quickly.

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

2 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Paul Hynes is a lovely chap but he lives on South Uist (one of the Hebrides off the coast of Scotland) and is a one-man band. His order lead time can be lengthy, but always worth the wait.

Paul is not alone anymore (think he has one employee) and SR4T are batch built each month so the wait is not that long right now.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
6 hours ago, FrankMA said:

Mattijs has indicated 7V is predominant for the ER so I have changed my order. Thanks for the help everyone

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of it.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Very interesting thread. Posting to subscribe.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

I installed Cable Matters cat 8 Yesterday as recommended by Jud and a few others. I think I like what I am hearing. I am running my Aurender N10 24/7 to break them in. I have one 1 meter cable on the “A” side and one on the “B” side going to the N10.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

Im wondering if anyone has tried this - use 2 devices on the B side....I have 2 Lumin D1 streamers, one is directly connected to the B side with A side fed by SFP fibre from a Unifi 24port switch. A side also has my Roon ROCK server attached. ROCK, ER and Lumin all powered by isolated outputs of an HDPlex 200W LMPS.

The other D1 is connected from the other 24port switch SFP port via 15M fibre to an FS.com FMC and to the D1 in another room. This is also running on a Plixir 12V@4A LMPS and works quite happily. 

I was wondering if running this via FMC's from the A side of the ER would improve anything or optionally using a dual port FMC off the B side to one D1 and then fibre down to the other FMC and to the other D1. the dual ported FMC could run off of the 4th HDPlex output so everything is on its own isolated LMPS supply.

I have all the bits and pieces to do it but I wonder if I'm compromising the A side with an FMC or the B side with the FMC splitting to two different streamers - one directly and one down the fibre.

I'm sure someone will just say listen and use your ears...which I will ultimately do, but maybe some technical thing that I haven't considered that @Superdad might bring up could save me some messing about or deter me from seeing if its going to work opr brak the moat.

4 hours ago, wizardofoz said:

Im wondering if anyone has tried this - use 2 devices on the B side....I have 2 Lumin D1 streamers, one is directly connected to the B side with A side fed by SFP fibre from a Unifi 24port switch. A side also has my Roon ROCK server attached. ROCK, ER and Lumin all powered by isolated outputs of an HDPlex 200W LMPS.

We suggest you avoid putting any other switches (or FMCs) between the EtherREGEN and your DAC-attached endpoints as such will greatly reduce the benefits of our device.

While I can't say I completely follow what you are attempting or suggesting, I will offer this:

Since the EtherREGEN's performance (data/power/clocking) is symmetrical on both sides of it's "moat" (other than number of ports and the 'B' side being 100Mbps-only), B>A is just as good as A>B (we went to the trouble and expense to make it so that fiber "out" the 'A' side to an opticalRendu would be as good, but other use cases--such as yours--have come up).  So you can run the network into the 'B' port and then two cables out the 'A' side to your Lumin D1 streamers.

Give that a try and see hear how it sounds. B|

On 6/11/2020 at 12:32 PM, octaviars said:

Paul is not alone anymore (think he has one employee) and SR4T are batch built each month so the wait is not that long right now.

There is a Paul Hynes Design Ltd now that makes the SR4, SR5, SR7 under license from Paul Hynes in monthly batches.

When ordering you will get an estimated delivery time.

This weekend I received an SR4T; two months after ordering and nicely according to the expected delivery time.

The 'T' stands for a version with an extra voltage regulator.

I already have had a SR4 (non-T) for some time and in my system and with my ears I prefer the SR4 over the Farad super 3 (I have a 12V version) for powering the EtherRegen. YMMV of course. The SR4T is a small but distinct improvement over the SR4 when powering the ER.

However, after some experimenting the SR4T ended up powering an LPS1.2 that is feeding an IsoRegen. There it replaces the Uptone SMPS that was powering the LPS1.2.  I had read once or twice that powering the LPS1.2 with another linear power supply will improve the LPS1.2's performance. But it surprised me a lot how big that improvement is!

I had read once or twice that powering the LPS1.2 with another linear power supply will improve the LPS1.2's performance.”

Now for another lps1.2, powered by the SR4, into the ER!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

BTW, can anyone tell me why I'm not getting email updates on this topic? I was getting them for this thread and the main ER thread and now don't receive updates on either thread.