IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

Sandervdp, with the 9+ setup - I assume your tv input is from the netgear via apple & oppo, not from the ER?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

9 minutes ago, simon_pepper said:

Ok, so try a derivation of this one, with the Farad Super3 on the dedicated Power Circuit powering the EtherREGEN.

The JS-2 is still on the MacMini, and maybe the now spare 12v that was on the EtherREGEN on the ISP Modem/Router, thar just so it doesn’t go to waste!

Hi Simon, thanks for this suggestion,  but not sure how to pull that off. There's only 1 outlet on the dedicated power circuit, which is roughly 10m away from the mac mini/oppo/atv. And the router is another 25m away from that location

11 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Sandervdp, with the 9+ setup - I assume your tv input is from the netgear via apple & oppo, not from the ER?

hi james, correct, the apple tv is connected to the netgear, then from there the apple tv's HDMI goes into the back of the oppo, which goes via HDMI into a projector and S/PDIF into the dac

/& of course you can the use the oppo to synch audio & vision!

Might be better sq & vq atv direct into projector ...?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

the oppo has s/pdif out to the dac, much better than optical out from the mac mini

so that's why the apple tv goes into the oppo 

the 9+ is only referencing the sound from the MacMini source (mainly local FLACs) to Ambre btw.

The sound from Apple TV (e.g. when watching netflix) seems to be significantly less

Not sure if that is due to compression or leakage/noise/cheap clocks

BluRay is much, much better than netflix via ATV and a lot closer to MacMini/Ambre

Still have to try Netflix on Oppo (a bit clumsy to control, but if SQ is much better could be worth it)

1 hour ago, sandervdp said:

Hi Simon, thanks for this suggestion,  but not sure how to pull that off. There's only 1 outlet on the dedicated power circuit, which is roughly 10m away from the mac mini/oppo/atv. And the router is another 25m away from that location

Ok, then try just the Farad Super3 into the same circuit as the JS-1, but powering the EtherREGEN, with no Netgear used, and all A ports used, and the B using the 10M cable to the DAC frontend.

I want to mate a better power supply with my EtherRegen. It looks like the sweet spot for pricing / performance might be a Farad Super 3. Farad recommends the 7v 3A PS. This is rated higher on the amperage then recommended by Uptone Audio:

7V/1.4A, 9V/1.0A, 12V/0.8A. 
Is this extra 1 1/2 amp an issue at all?

Does higher voltage sound better or is the 7v just fine? 

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Pulsar> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>T+A DAC 2000 >Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Raidho X1t or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.

26 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

You could mate it with a PSU that could deliver much more amps. The amps stated by Uptone is what it draws at different voltages but you always want some headroom. 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
43 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And 24V will blow up your EtherREGEN.  Just sayin'... :P

Ahh.... I was wondering why my audio room was 20 degrees warmer than the rest of the house and smelled like something was burning.  

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

2 hours ago, FrankMA said:

7v will blow your mind as well 🤣

RE proper wiring:  Does the DC cable go in the right or left ear?  And which sounds better?

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Not sure - I use a Y adapter so I get both ears 😂

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

On 6/17/2020 at 4:11 PM, sahmen said:

BTW : I got this to dock both the ER and an LPS 1.2 sideways, and it seems to have the temperature of both units down some... It is actually a little surprising... so what gives?

spacer.png 

spacer.png

I actually didn't believe this cooling hole gimmick could actually do any cooling.  However, since the temperatures of both units have become less hot, for some reason, I'm wondering whether the magic comes from the sideways positioning of the ER and LPS 1.2, or whether the "cooling hole" indeed has something to do with it. 

Sahmen, where did you find this?  I come up short at the US Amazon site when I search for this pic using Google Images.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

And 24V will blow up your EtherREGEN.  Just sayin'... :P

Sorry for replying to frivolity with a serious question..... but.......

Voltage range is pretty important but amperage represents available power and it depends on what the device tries to pull. Therefore amps isn't a concern but too many volts is. That's my understanding anyway.

Anyway, my question. I moved my ER & LPS-1.2 onto nice Ikea bamboo the other day. But both were really hot! Like need to be very quick moving them or grab oven gloves as painful to touch hot. So (and no disrespect intended @kennyb123) but is 12V the problem here?? Would 7V involve less fingertip burning?

Or does 12V mean better SQ and we need Ikea to make the bamboo boards more heat resistant??

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

2 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Anyway, my question. I moved my ER & LPS-1.2 onto nice Ikea bamboo the other day. But both were really hot! Like need to be very quick moving them or grab oven gloves as painful to touch hot. So (and no disrespect intended @kennyb123) but is 12V the problem here?? Would 7V involve less fingertip burning?

Or does 12V mean better SQ and we need Ikea to make the bamboo boards more heat resistant??

I think @Superdad will need to comment on which voltage would generate the least amount of heat.  My ER is sitting on its side. I was able to just wrap my hand around it.  No way would I say this was "fingertip burning" hot.  I'd call it warm but knocking on the door of hot.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

The oM thread says it runs hot at 9v but less so at 7v. Ergo the ER is the same, Joke*

Just wondering if pushing the LPS-1.2 and ER to 12V raises the heat profile.

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

5 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Sahmen, where did you find this?  I come up short at the US Amazon site when I search for this pic using Google Images.

I finally found it on Amazon. It wasn’t showing up in searches because it appears to be discontinued.

Here’s a similar, albeit somewhat uglier, product:

https://www.amazon.com/Vertical-Space-Saving-Aluminum-Adjustable-Compatible/dp/B07PRRQQYH?pf_rd_r=ST2V5DC2FJT773ZM7JCR&pf_rd_p=be25f964-4afb-442f-819e-9e628b270a7c&pd_rd_r=1f861a76-4a3a-4af1-971f-281c14fdd2eb&pd_rd_w=MuDlw&pd_rd_wg=HDf09&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

On 7/7/2020 at 11:59 AM, Vangelis said:

I want to mate a better power supply with my EtherRegen. It looks like the sweet spot for pricing / performance might be a Farad Super 3. Farad recommends the 7v 3A PS. This is rated higher on the amperage then recommended by Uptone Audio:

7V/1.4A, 9V/1.0A, 12V/0.8A. 

Does higher voltage sound better or is the 7v just fine? 

OK, this was great, I think I got my question answered. 

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Pulsar> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>T+A DAC 2000 >Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Raidho X1t or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.