IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

13 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

A brand new 12v Farad Super3 arrived here this morning and is now powering my ER.  The DC cable is a Farad Level 2 copper, which became a spare when I purchased an Audio Sensibility cable for the Super3 powering my TT2.  The power cord is a Nordost Magus that I had absconded from my home theater system.  It will eventually be replaced with a Shunyata noise reducing power cord.

The new Super3 is the one on the right with the LED that's glowing brighter because I have yet to apply a LightDim to it.

Past experience tells me that I should wait at least 2-3 hours before commenting on the sound quality.  I'll circle back with observations later.

And BTW, the ER can be seen to the right of my amp. It hanging out like that is just temporary until I get some time to move things around a bit to accommodate cable lengths.

IMG_1241.thumb.jpg.93e3a74198947b3c16f9f07a82d0518f.jpg

Question: what did the Farad replace to power the EtherREGEN?

Looking at the picture: don't you think it is wise to not place the Farad's directly on the Denali and so close to each other? I have been told that it is best to keep a minimum of 20cm distance between components with toroidal transformers.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

48 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Question: what did the Farad replace to power the EtherREGEN?

The Uptone SMPS.

Looking at the picture: don't you think it is wise to not place the Farad's directly on the Denali and so close to each other? I have been told that it is best to keep a minimum of 20cm distance between components with toroidal transformers.

It's temporary as I will eventually have to purchase another shelf for my rack. As great as it sounds, I'm not in a rush to do so.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

3 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

And this the 12v Super3 version?

Yes

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

13 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Plus one on what Ray wrote.  The Cable Matters CAT8 needed at least 3 days.  I could listen with it in my system initially.  To burn it in I placed it far away from my system.

Plus 3 on what Ray wrote (and Farad Super3 here as well😃). 

I'm now running a loom of 4 Sablon 2020 ethernet cables here in my audio system, plus the prior model Sablon ethernet between my modem and router.  The Sablon 2020 cables sounded terrific when installed fresh out of the box (not surprising since they replace generic cables).  After just 2 days of burn in there were noticeable improvements with the Sablons.   

Just for fun and to check my sanity level, I pulled all of my Sablon cables and installed 4 generic ethernet cables.  Yes, I am still sane as there was a very obvious reduction in sound quality with the generic cables.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

54 minutes ago, Blake said:

I'm now running a loom of 4 Sablon 2020 ethernet cables here in my audio system, plus the prior model Sablon ethernet between my modem and router.  The Sablon 2020 cables sounded terrific when installed fresh out of the box (not surprising since they replace generic cables).  After just 2 days of burn in there were noticeable improvements with the Sablons.   

A loom, eh?  Are you hearing diminishing returns the further away you get from your ER?  Had you tried fiber at all?

57 minutes ago, Blake said:

I'm now running a loom of 4 Sablon 2020 ethernet cables here in my audio system, plus the prior model Sablon ethernet between

How do you find the old and new Sablons compare? I quite liked the old one in many ways, but wasn't sold on its reproduction of classical instrument tones and textures or micro-dynamics which I found unconvincing for say piano, brass and cello but also drums.

@kennyb123I have never tried optical (have thought about it, but I've never been sufficiently motivated).  I dropped all the cables in at once and I never thought about testing for distance.

@Ponkbutler The new 2020 cables are better in every regard.  I can't think of any sonic area where the older version betters the new version.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

40 minutes ago, Blake said:

Hmmm...  "loom" is the word the first came to mind, check out my cable mess:

No, that is far from being a mess.  Nice gear!  

13 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

And this the 12v Super3 version?

I should also mention that the Super3 powering my ER did not include either of the options (Orange fuse, Furutech Rhodium AC Inlet).  An Orange fuse is to be delivered today, but it's targeted for the Super3 powering my TT2.  

20 minutes ago, Blake said:

I am especially proud of the very expensive, custom-designed, rolled up white cloth used to support the ethernet cables going in to the etherRegen 🤪

As you should be.  The word "artisanal" came to mind :)  I won't include photos of pieces of the fancy hard cardboard spacers (from the center of wax paper container) that I strategically (of course) use to keep power cords and ICs separate.  Such is the work of an audiophile -- never done.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

@kennyb123 I noticed you have Nordost Sort Kones as well as Stillpoints.  I am using Stillpoints under all of my gear except for Rollerblocks in a few spots. 

I have Stillpoints under the etherRegen.  Are you planning to use any footers under your etherRegen once you rearrange your rack and if so, what footers?

How do the Stillpoints compare to the Sort Kones?

13 minutes ago, Blake said:

@kennyb123 I noticed you have Nordost Sort Kones as well as Stillpoints.  I am using Stillpoints under all of my gear except for Rollerblocks in a few spots. 

I have Stillpoints under the etherRegen.  Are you planning to use any footers under your etherRegen once you rearrange your rack and if so, what footers?

How do the Stillpoints compare to the Sort Kones?

A friend had asked me to try to sell two sets of those Sort Kones for him, so of course I had to try them out, but my tryout was very limited.  

I had been using the original Stillpoints cones under my Denali.  The Sort Kones brought a very obvious improvement.  It then struck me that I should try Stillpoints Ultra SS under the Denali.  I pulled the set of 3 from under the Zenith and in their place put those 3 Kones.  This brought another obvious improvement.  I thought for the money that the Sort Kones would be a good holdover until I can eventually afford to move up to Ultra SS across the board.  I've been keeping an eye out for good pricing to first swap out the Minis under the HMS and TT2.  

To sum it up:

Stillpoints Ultra SS > Nordost Sort Kone BC > Stillpoints original cones

And 

Sitllpoints Ultra SS under Denail > Stillpoints SS under Zenith

I really don't have a plan yet for the ER.  My rack itself rests on Nordost Sort Fut, so isolation is provided from just it being placed on the rack.  But maybe I'll try to see what happens if I place three of the original Stillpoints under it, as I still have a set of them.

8 minutes ago, simon_pepper said:

So the base model.

Exactly.  

I passed on the IEC because I use Shunyata power cords and they recommend avoiding rhodium with their power cords.  I do think it would be a worthwhile upgrade though if using a power cord that has rhodium connectors.

On 6/16/2020 at 2:50 AM, Ponkbutler said:

I prefer the DesignaCable Belden CatSnake Cat6a by a long margin, which is what the Ghent uses

I have the Ghent Cat8 JSSG360, which uses a Linkway cable.

Edit: This one - http://www.ghentaudio.com/pc/et12.html

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

7 hours ago, PYP said:

As you should be.  The word "artisanal" came to mind :)  I won't include photos of pieces of the fancy hard cardboard spacers (from the center of wax paper container) that I strategically (of course) use to keep power cords and ICs separate.  Such is the work of an audiophile -- never done.  

Good idea.  Next project, A/B demo, rolled white cloth vs. cardboard tube roll.  Grudge match to the death.

1 hour ago, Blake said:

Good idea.  Next project, A/B demo, rolled white cloth vs. cardboard tube roll.  Grudge match to the death.

I'm assuming a blind listening session to satisfy everyone.  Yes? 

I had to remove my cardboard tweak because our kitten was getting into the wires just to grab them.  Fortunately, I haven't heard a change in the SQ and said kitten has moved onto other wires besides the audio system.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man