IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

9 hours ago, Pokey77 said:

I bought two 1-Meter Cable Matters Cat 8 cables from Amazon that were highly recommended on here on the UpTone Audio forums for use on the EtherREGEN. I put them in my system on 6/11 @ 3PM. I didn't get the chance to do much in the way of testing that day but thought initially that they didn't sound as good as the Supra 8+ that I had been using and were burned in for a few months. So a friend and I listened to a few different tracks and then to our usual demo track on the Cable Matters cable. Then I replaced the Cable Matters with the Supra and within five seconds my friend said that the Supra 8+ sounded better. As we continued listening, at first I thought that the midrange was maybe not as good on the Supra. Then I realized that both the bass and the treble response were better on the Supra. After reflecting a little more, all while the track was playing through, I realized that the Supra 8+ was more even top to bottom response and was more natural and listenable. Just didn't want to go back to the Cable Matters cable, though it too was better than the Monoprice Cat 5e I've used in the past. The Supra had significantly deeper and more naturally fleshed out bass and a very good top end with midrange that flowed compared to the Cable Matters cable. The Supra is $49 and the Cable Maters 8 is $12 on Amazon. In my system, at this time, it is an easy choice, spend $49. The Supra is just better and has that musicality that I'm looking for.

After my friend left, I put the Cable Matters cable back on the Aurender and will leave it there to burn in for at least two weeks and try the experiment again. Who knows, it may get better. We'll just have to wait to hear the results.

**In regards to my two posts above, the cable diagram is incorrect. See my system config in my signature.

Good info. I wonder if anyone did compare Supra CAT8+ with the Ghent JSSG360.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

17 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

I prefer the DesignaCable Belden CatSnake Cat6a by a long margin, which is what the Ghent uses, with the addition of the JS wire and an additional outer sheath.

52 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

I think Jud did upgrade from the Cable Matters CAT8 to the Belden CatSnake CAT6a with JSSG360 shielding from Ghent. Don’t know if he has moved on from that.

I might have to buy one of the same, 

I've also had Supra Cat8, replaced that with Ghent JSSG as I much preferred the latter (at the time Ghent didn't have the JSSG360)

I've since swapped out a few Ghent JSSG cables for Ghent JSSG360 cables (namely etherregen to streamer, and streamer to dac (which is connected via I2S RJ45), and the 360 seems even better

I went with the Ghent Linkway Cat8 jssg360 pair into the ER & moved my original Ghent Cat6 jssg pair out of macmini into Netgear gs105 switch (in other room).

Another incremental uptick!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

31 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

I went with the Ghent Linkway Cat8 jssg360 pair into the ER & moved my original Ghent Cat6 jssg pair out of macmini into Netgear gs105 switch (in other room).

@sandervdp

Can you buy the Ghent jssg360 cables assembled or is this DIY only?

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

@MartinT

I did find that my replies from Uptone threads are going to my spam. I'll add their email to my address book. Hopefully that'll stop that.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

Just now, Pokey77 said:

@sandervdp

http://www.ghentaudio.com/pc/et12.html

They are a Ghent off-the-shelf. I don’t do diy!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

On 6/15/2020 at 9:02 PM, jamesg11 said:

I had read once or twice that powering the LPS1.2 with another linear power supply will improve the LPS1.2's performance.”

Now for another lps1.2, powered by the SR4, into the ER!

Try powering the ER directly with the SR4, remove the LPS altogether, you might find that actually sounds the best 😉

7 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

Try powering the ER directly with the SR4, remove the LPS altogether, you might find that actually sounds the best 😉

In my system the EtherRegen is fed just by the SR4 at the moment.

The IsoRegen is fed by the SR4T/LPS1.2 combo, the addition of the LPS1.2 giving a small up-tick in sound quality.

That makes me curious what one of de DPPwr modules from Alexei would do here. Don't have one though.

I might still try the LPS on the ER or swap the SR4 and SR4T but the -T just arrived and I do not always have time.

The step on the IsoRegen (sitting between a Sablon 2020 USB cable and a Devialet Epxert dac/amp) going from the LPS1.2 (on its Uptone SMPS) to the SR4T is still stunning me.

On the other had, replacing an smps by an SR4T should make a difference of course. It almost makes the LPS1.2 redundant :)

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

A brand new 12v Farad Super3 arrived here this morning and is now powering my ER.  

Hi Kenny,

My Farad arrived today too.  7V with the Synergistic Orange fuse and Furtech inlet upgrades. Have to use the stock Farad cable to the ER because I don't have anything else with that Farad connector. Does Audio Sensibility stock that and if yes what is it called?

Using a AQ NRG-4 PC just for now.

The unit is quite nice looking. Solid feel. Mattijs is great to deal with. Super fast shipping. 

Burning in right now and will give it 50 hrs or so before I listen for the first time

I did notice something odd with the 5MM/2.1 connector to the ER. Does not seem to go in all the way. Are you noticing that?

IMG_1264.jpeg

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

1 hour ago, FrankMA said:

Hi Kenny,

Have to use the stock Farad cable to the ER because I don't have anything else with that Farad connector. Does Audio Sensibility stock that and if yes what is it called?

Yes they do and they make it really easy to select the right one:

1444477292_ScreenShot2020-06-17at3_02_38PM.png.82e7844fe0c1add899a83866ab9f4f8f.png

The unit is quite nice looking. Solid feel. Mattijs is great to deal with. Super fast shipping. 

Agreed.

Burning in right now and will give it 50 hrs or so before I listen for the first time

I did notice something odd with the 5MM/2.1 connector to the ER. Does not seem to go in all the way. Are you noticing that?

Yup same thing with the connector on the "free" cable that Farad provided.  Not an issue though with the Oyaide connector on the Farad Level 2 cable that I'm using.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

On 6/16/2020 at 2:05 PM, jamesg11 said:

On 6/16/2020 at 2:38 PM, Pokey77 said:

@sandervdp

On 6/16/2020 at 2:41 PM, jamesg11 said:

http://www.ghentaudio.com/pc/et12.html

They are a Ghent off-the-shelf. I don’t do diy!

The Ghent Cat8 JSSG360 are the ones I'm using, and I really like them. No desire at all to try anything else.

There are also excellent inexpensive cables from Monoprice and Cable Matters if you want to spend less.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Plus one on what Ray wrote.  The Cable Matters CAT8 needed at least 3 days.  I could listen with it in my system initially.  To burn it in I placed it far away from my system.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

Plus one on what Ray wrote.  The Cable Matters CAT8 needed at least 3 days.  I could listen with it in my system initially.  To burn it in I placed it far away from my system.

In my system, it seems like a week is needed for just about anything new to settle in fully (ethernet copper cables included).  Don't know why.  The JS-2 LPS took a couple of weeks.  Just my ears and my system, etc.  I'm not suggesting that the SQ was bad during the settle-in time, but that to get the full effect it took more time.  

Strangely, months after adding the Sonore oM and JS-2 to the well settled-in eR, the system has reached an even higher (spooky real) level.  Just all came together one day and was unmistakable.  Really wish I could understand why.  I was contented with what I had and wasn't expecting anything further, but then it was like a lens focusing.  I'm always a believer that we subjectivists might well be fooling ourselves sometimes about the extent of a particular change and that one can't discount the expectation bias, but when something happens over time and without any expectation, that is as close to "proof" as I'll get that the recent changes (starting with the eR) are real.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

On 6/5/2020 at 11:58 AM, Lucie said:

It’s difficult to explain in words how big the difference is. You have to hear it, of course, but one may want to get an indication… In my system (and ears) it has the same impact as the ER itself (over a standard switch)

This is what I’ve been thinking.  

I didn’t believe it possible that the Super3 could have the same impact as the ER itself, which is why it took me so long to shell out the dollars.  @Lucie got it exactly right though - the impact is at least as significant as the ER itself was.  

5 hours ago, Jud said:

The Ghent Cat8 JSSG360 are the ones I'm using, and I really like them. No desire at all to try anything else.

There are also excellent inexpensive cables from Monoprice and Cable Matters if you want to spend less.

Where my original motivation to try them came from - Jud’s report, now quite some time back!

2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

This is what I’ve been thinking.  

I didn’t believe it possible that the Super3 could have the same impact as the ER itself, which is why it took me so long to shell out the dollars.  @Lucie got it exactly right though - the impact is at least as significant as the ER itself was.  

And this the 12v Super3 version?