IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

1 hour ago, Blackfiction said:

Does anyone know which size of spade/eye connection I need to buy to ground the ER? Is it a M6?

It's quite small, possibly an M4. It easily takes spades with a staggered opening as with my grounding box.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

I think a couple of people might have mentioned this earlier.

i don’t believe the power supply (Farad3 @ 7v) I use for the ER has a floating ground, so I don’t have the ER grounded using its grounding screw. However A grounded alligator clip I was using with the JS-2 it was still lying next to it and I thought what the hell and put the alligator clip on the ground lug.

It sounds better with the ER grounded!? Definitely better highs. 
Does this mean the Farad has ground floated? I don’t think it does, so how could this make an improvement?

Anyone found that grounding the ER sounds better even if the power supply is not floating?

2 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

I don’t believe the power supply (Farad3 @ 7v) I use for the ER has a floating ground...

It might in fact be floated and you can easily find out for yourself simply with any multimeter with a continuity/beep mode. With the supply unplugged from both the wall and any DC device, touch one probe to the mains ground pin (either the IEC inlet or the ground pin or the mains attached to the PS) and the other probe to outside of the barrel of the attached DC cable. If you get a beep or indication of continuity, then it is not a floating supply.

• 2 weeks later...

Have people any clever solutions for a weight to keep the ER from tilting with heavy cables? I was literally thinking a glass paperweight, but something that did not interfere with heat dissipation. 

If you have a clever solution, I'm all ears. Or is it - ERs? :) 

Although not strictly a weight, my solution is evident in the following posts. Probably my whole system by some standards is over-engineered; nevertheless, there is zero strain/torque on the eR notwithstanding very stiff/heavy cables - and my heatsink was carefully chosen and fitted over an exactly-cut thermal pad.

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Have people any clever solutions for a weight to keep the ER from tilting with heavy cables? I was literally thinking a glass paperweight, but something that did not interfere with heat dissipation. 

If you have a clever solution, I'm all ears. Or is it - ERs? :) 

I use black granite mats and coasters on all my components, covered with sticky-back black felt on the bottom.  One coaster keeps the ER in place and soon ramps up to the same temperature.  Being black, it radiates out the heat, too.

49842207196_1e5d7394c7_o.jpg

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

a weight to keep the ER from tilting with heavy cables?

Darko recommended audiophile doorstopper 😆 is what I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QW4VFCF/ref=sr_1_40?dchild=1&keywords=door+stopper&qid=1590565539&sr=8-40

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

If you have a clever solution, I'm all ears. Or is it - ERs? :) 

These work perfectly, £5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Relaxdays-10012983-Stainless-Protective-Scratch-Free/dp/B00R36MLVA/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=door+stop&qid=1590566191&sr=8-12

Exactly how do you position these doorstop thingies?  On top of the ER?  Behind the ER?  Under the cables to and from the ER? 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

46 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Exactly how do you position these doorstop thingies?  On top of the ER?  Behind the ER?  Under the cables to and from the ER? 

The ER sitting on isolation platform (Symposium) and door stop sitting on top of the ER, I have heavy cables and hold it down. Also If I recall I use 4 wee pieces of black tac to stop the ER swiveling if the cable moves.  

I use Black Ravioli Pad footers (3) under the ER, and coaster on top.  It doesn't move, and the 12cm short ethernet link to my Asus Tinker Board S streamer also helps to keep both in place.

A square cork pad underneath (my EtherREGEN is behind my Audio racks, on the floor, so the cork pad provides some insulation and isolation) and a Herbie Audio SuperSonic Stabilizer on top.

Have a SuperSonic Stabilizer on top of the UltraRendu as well.
Also the same type of square cork pad is underneath the NUC running ROCK, as well.

3 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

I use a similar heavy doorstop to mass-load my DAC and a small Mapleshade brass weight for my ER.

For those in the US take care to note shipping costs. On Amazon (USA) the doorstop is only ~$5 USD but shipping is ~$18 USD! Also note the weight. Some weigh 1 pound while others are 2+ pounds. Putting the metal side against the ER might help with heat dissipation.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Thanks for the great ideas!

9 hours ago, MartinT said:

I use black granite mats and coasters on all my components, covered with sticky-back black felt on the bottom. 

9 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

So no issues with the felt (on the coasters) or the rubber tread on the doorstop coming into contact with the hot exterior of the ER?

9 minutes ago, austinpop said:

So no issues with the felt (on the coasters) or the rubber tread on the doorstop coming into contact with the hot exterior of the ER?

None at all.

I just did a little experiment with some marble coasters I had lying around the house. Each one weighs 0.5lb (226gm for our metric friends).

in my configuration, with a heavy Ethernet and clock cable on the B side, and a flimsy LC-LC fiber cable on the A side, I needed 4 coasters to completely prevent tilting.

So for me, a 2lb/1kg weight is necessary.

These look interesting, but the tops are rounded, so will have to use the  silica gel treads on the eR hot surface.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFEC211/

43 minutes ago, Superdad said:

As much as I was hoping the conversation would move on from weights and stands (9_9), I clicked that link and thought it was very cool. Standing our EtherREGEN and UltraCap units on edge does also result in additional airflow and cooling.

Then I noticed your link was in the UK and wondered if that adjustable aluminum stand could be had on this side of the pond and in black to match our cases. And guess what?:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HNGD92

There is even a double version for just $1 more, though the lack of "social distancing" between units might negate some of the cooling benefits.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHJRN5P

Alex, do you happen to have the ER's height dimension handy for someone too lazy to Google?  I can use a couple of the stands, but I don't want to buy anything that will squeeze the ER case too tightly. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

4 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Alex, do you happen to have the ER's height dimension handy for someone too lazy to Google?  I can use a couple of the stands, but I don't want to buy anything that will squeeze the ER case too tightly. 

30mm (about 1-3/16") w/o rubber feet.  And 110mm deep (about 4-5/16").