IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

1 hour ago, hpfish said:

I currently connect a cheap 1m ethernet cable from ER to my streamer, the SQ is good but can be better,  do you have any recommendations for a better Ethernet cable?  

Multiple people have reported this particular one as the surprising low cost champion, besting some vastly pricier options.

https://www.cablematters.com/pc-1032-160-sftp-cat8-ethernet-cable-for-10gbps-25gbps-or-40gbps-data-rate.aspx

Just $12 at Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ethernet-10Gbps-25Gbps/dp/B07NVSSFJ5

:)

Earlier this week I have upgraded the standard SMPS of the ER to a 7v Farad Super3 with standard DC cable. Quite a nice improvement. A blacker and more defined sound and better bass. not as big a step as the ER itself of course.

Anyone with experience on upgrading the DC cable of the Farad?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the UpTone uspcb adaptor is bidirectional i.e. will it still work properly if oriented usb a to usb b instead of the other way around. Sorry if this isn’t the right thread for this but it does involve my etherregen setup in an indirect way. Thanks!

Ron

12 minutes ago, ikemi said:

Does anyone know if the UpTone uspcb adaptor is bidirectional i.e. will it still work properly if oriented usb a to usb b instead of the other way around. Sorry if this isn’t the right thread for this but it does involve my etherregen setup in an indirect way. Thanks!

Hi Ron:

Sure, our USPCB A>B Adapters are just a circuit board replacement (4-layer, impedance-controlled and shielded) for a USB cable.  It passes data in both directions, so you can turn it any way you wish. (USB is a bi-directional data transfer standard anyway, so regardless of the hook-up data is always going both ways. 9_9).

Best,

--Alex C.

22 minutes ago, yellowblue said:

Will a PowerAdd battery + Idovr DXP-1A5DSC work well with the ER? I use the Idovr (with SBooster) with my MScaler and it is amazing.

EtherREGEN requires input voltage in range of 7~12V (1.35A @ 7V, 1.0A @ 9V, 0.8A @12V).

LDOVER DC-DC box requires input voltage to be a few volts higher than the output voltage you order.

PowerAdd batteries are only 5V output.

So no, what you propose won't work.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

EtherREGEN requires input voltage in range of 7~12V (1.35A @ 7V, 1.0A @ 9V, 0.8A @12V).

LDOVER DC-DC box requires input voltage to be a few volts higher than the output voltage you order.

PowerAdd batteries are only 5V output.

So no, what you propose won't work.

I mean the 5-15V version described by Romaz.

15 minutes ago, yellowblue said:

15V version of batteries? I don't follow Roy around so I don't know quite what yo are referring to.  You have to feed the LDOVER boxes/boards a little higher than whatever the output is set too. The PowerAdd batteries AFAIK are only 5V (though I suppose one could wire a bunch up in series).

If you wish to continue discussion of power supply possibilities for the EtherREGEN, please do so in the below thread as the one we are in is primarily for Installation, Usage, and Difficulty questions. Thanks,

--Alex C.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:55 PM, yellowblue said:

I use a pair of Poweradd Pilot Pro2 batteries along with the DXPs to power my Chord devices.  The Pro2 batteries can be set to 5v/9v/12v/16v/19v/20V.  There is also a new model the Pilot Pro5 that has what appears to be the ability to set voltage within the range of 9-20V.  This is likely what I will purchase to power the ER along with a dual stage DXP that outputs 12V.

My experience thus far with these DXP devices is that they are phenomenal - though I have yet to try one with the ER.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WVTKTYD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_xjoQEb308SPDN

https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/dxp-1a5dsc.htm

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hi everyone, I'm new here (but not new to forums).  I have been reading this thread with great interest and my EtherREGEN is due to arrive Monday by Fedex.  I have a few observations without any experience yet of what the ER will do for my system.

• I am a great fan of reclocking and clock accuracy in general.  I use a Mutec MC-3 USB+ reclocker to reclock the USB from my Asus streamer to S/PDIF AES into my LKS DAC.  It has a profound effect on the sound quality I achieve from Qobuz as my primary source.  Further, I have had the already decent Crystek 575 clock in the LKS replaced with an ultra low phase noise Coherent clock.  I am intrigued by the notion of double reclocking in my system and what it may, or may not, do for sound quality.
  • I have enhanced my system with lots of vibration control, primarily using Black Ravioli Pads and Big Pads, and RDC Cones, to isolate everything.  I have some ready to put under the ER.
  • I already use a very good Chinese Weiliang 12V LPSU for my TP-Link 4G router.  I have purchased another identical one for the ER, knowing how well every component has responded to LPSUs in place of SMPS.
  • I also use grounding boxes on every digital component, a mixture of SGS and Black Ravioli units.  Since several comments have been made about the benefits of grounding the ER, and since I have found the best response to grounding has been with the Mutec, I have a Black Ravioli Eflos grounding box with spade connector ready and waiting for the ER.

I shall start with the ER and its own SMPS connected to my regenerator and have a long listen before adding the other components to the mix.  I already use a 3m MeiCord ethernet cable from the router and have two short Cat6 and a Cat8 to try on the B side of the ER into the Asus streamer.  I'll report back on what I hear at every step.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

On the subject of grounding, many of you have grounded your ER to house ground (we call it earth in the UK).  Has anyone tried what I will experiment with, using a grounding box?  The idea being to suck away noise from the ground plane of the ER without affecting safety ground or creating hum issues.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

2 hours ago, MartinT said:

On the subject of grounding, many of you have grounded your ER to house ground (we call it earth in the UK).  Has anyone tried what I will experiment with, using a grounding box?  The idea being to suck away noise from the ground plane of the ER without affecting safety ground or creating hum issues.

A "grounding box" doesn't actually electrically ground anything unless connected to ground, so why not just connect the device to an electrical ground directly and save the extra wiring, boxes, and money?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

37 minutes ago, Jud said:

A "grounding box" doesn't actually electrically ground anything unless connected to ground, so why not just connect the device to an electrical ground directly and save the extra wiring, boxes, and money?

I have had great success with grounding boxes, especially with my other reclocker the Mutec MC-3.  I use an SGS-1s box connected to various rear panel socket grounds.  It removes ground plane noise and quite significantly lifts sound quality.  House ground connections are far noisier than a grounding box.  I know it's a contentious issue, but I feel it's worth trying with the ER too.

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

As far as I can tell these "grounding" boxes are really noise injectors, BUT with phase adjusted so it tends to cancel out noise already in the system. The box is an antenna which picks up the AC line frequency already in pretty much all environments and injects it into the "ground" of your system. If this is done properly it CAN cancel out some of the existing ground noise, but it can also increase it if things are not right.

The upshot is that if you have setup these boxes and tuned things right and them you use something to decrease the ground noise (such as an EtherREGEN) you may find that things sound worse, because now the injected noise from the ground box doesn't have anything to cancel out. So I would recommend trying the EtherREGEN both with and without the ground boxes and see what you prefer.

John S.

Thank you, John.  I certainly intend to try things in progressive steps: LPSU, ethernet cables, vibration control, grounding etc.  I will report what I hear in each step.

Over on the main ER thread @cat6man asked: (and @superdad appropriately redirected here)

1 hour ago, cat6man said:

what voltage did you run the lps 1.2 at?

fyi------mine is edgerouterX-SFP and comes with a 24v, 2.5A wall wart power supply.

says it support 9v-26v input and has a 5W maximum power consumption.

not sure why a 60W supply is needed for a 5W comsumption, on the other hand we know that oversized power supplies often have benefits due to the ability to provide peaks.

assume i'll run it at 12v to get maximum 12W out of the lps 1.2

I run my LPS 1.2 at 12V for my EdgeRouter 10X.  I don't have any PoE devices on it (unlike the EdgeRouter X, the 10X is passive PoE pass through...the ER X needs the extra voltage for PoE, but doesn't need it to run)

I have not tried different voltages to see if it makes a difference.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

17 hours ago, ray-dude said:

Over on the main ER thread @cat6man asked: (and @superdad appropriately redirected here)

I run my LPS 1.2 at 12V for my EdgeRouter 10X.  I don't have any PoE devices on it (unlike the EdgeRouter X, the 10X is passive PoE pass through...the ER X needs the extra voltage for PoE, but doesn't need it to run)

I have not tried different voltages to see if it makes a difference.

thanks.

will be testing at 12v with my 2nd lps1.2 today

Interim report: at 60 hours, the ER is really significantly pulling away from baseline performance without it in the system. I added my 12V LPSU (floating ground) and the sound took a significant lift in soundstage depth, decay, reverb. I then added the Black Ravioli Eflos grounding box and it took another jump up in soundstaging while the already good dynamics and slam in my system are preserved. I really am hearing things I hadn't noticed before. It's gratifying that double reclocking works. As others have said, everything matters in digital.

Listening impressions will be posted when performance settles.

49842207196_1e5d7394c7_o.jpg

Has anyone experimented with the DC cable supplying the ER? I have ordered a 1m UP-OCC DC cable with carbon infused braid from MCRU for my LPSU to ER link. I should get it soon and will report what I hear.

https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/audiophile-dc-power-cable-gx16-2-connector/