IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

It says Zerozone right on the board.

Zerozone.  There is no substitute.  😉

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

17 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Some have experimented with various supplies and said LPS-1.2 is beyond its "comfort zone" powering the EtherRegen.

As long as you run the LPS-1.2 at 12 volts into the EtherRegen it is comfortable running at that for days on end. Anything less will draw too much current at the lower voltages of 9, 7 or 5.

Regards

GG

10 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

Other than the one supplied, does Uptone have a recommendation as enhanced supply for the EtherRegen?

The following SBoosters BOTW P&P ECO MKII should be also fine for powering the EtherREGEN:

• 9V with 2.35A (299 Euro)
  • 12V with 3A  (329 Euro)

Attention: the AddOn SBooster Ultra MKII will not work together with an EtherREGEN !

Maybe some of you "have a spare SBooster 9 or 12V"  ... 😉

44 minutes ago, TomWoB said:

The following SBoosters BOTW P&P ECO MKII should be also fine for powering the EtherREGEN:

• 9V with 2.35A (299 Euro)
  • 12V with 3A  (329 Euro)

Attention: the AddOn SBooster Ultra MKII will not work together with an EtherREGEN !

Maybe some of you "have a spare SBooster 9 or 12V"  ... 😉

Might as well mention Keces P3. Quality build by experienced engineers with 2 rails and user selectable voltage. At $400, it is hard to beat.

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

On the subject of Power Supplies, is interesting to note that over on the Naim Forum, where folks push the envelope and tweak and listen to music, there have been reports of comparisons of power supplies in the 2K Pound/Euro price range ($2500) and apparently some folks can and are willing to spend that much for one.  In addition, the benefits from a $4000 Ref 10 clock is also recognized.  Even the folks there realize that its ridiculous to spend $6500 in accessories for a $640 ER--and some do it.  I considered it myself.  "When you have big bucks invested in your system, what's another couple of grand".   Think of the good it can do elsewhere.  I grew up where and when cars were standard with no radio and no heater.  A loaded vehicle included radio and heater, and they were advertised that way--and a new Chevy was about $1500--gas 0.16 per gallon, penny postcards, 3 cent stamps--sorry to digress.  My how things have changed.  Now if you don't have nav, heated seats/steering wheel, bluetooth, comfort access, radar cruize, self driving, pano roof, etc, you feel like you have not arrived yet.  

40 minutes ago, bailyhill said:

On the subject of Power Supplies, is interesting to note that over on the Naim Forum, where folks push the envelope and tweak and listen to music, there have been reports of comparisons of power supplies in the 2K Pound/Euro price range ($2500) and apparently some folks can and are willing to spend that much for one.  In addition, the benefits from a $4000 Ref 10 clock is also recognized.  Even the folks there realize that its ridiculous to spend $6500 in accessories for a $640 ER--and some do it.  I considered it myself.  "When you have big bucks invested in your system, what's another couple of grand".   Think of the good it can do elsewhere.  I grew up where and when cars were standard with no radio and no heater.  A loaded vehicle included radio and heater, and they were advertised that way--and a new Chevy was about $1500--gas 0.16 per gallon, penny postcards, 3 cent stamps--sorry to digress.  My how things have changed.  Now if you don't have nav, heated seats/steering wheel, bluetooth, comfort access, radar cruize, self driving, pano roof, etc, you feel like you have not arrived yet.  

Don't fall into that trap...it's not needed to get great sound.  

18 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Don't fall into that trap...it's not needed to get great sound.  

No, it's not needed to get great sound from the EtherRegen. But a Sean Jacobs DC3 PSU with a few added bits and bobs, including Mundorf capacitors, doubled the improvement I was getting from the EtherRegen, so if you have the money it's worthwhile. Those who also add a very high-end external clock state that makes an even bigger difference and that the PSU makes less of a difference when when also has a clock like the SoTM or Mutec, suggesting that it is the effect of the PSU on the internal clock in the EtherRegen that makes much of the difference.

27 minutes ago, Ponkbutler said:

No, it's not needed to get great sound from the EtherRegen. But a Sean Jacobs DC3 PSU with a few added bits and bobs, including Mundorf capacitors, doubled the improvement I was getting from the EtherRegen, so if you have the money it's worthwhile. Those who also add a very high-end external clock state that makes an even bigger difference and that the PSU makes less of a difference when when also has a clock like the SoTM or Mutec, suggesting that it is the effect of the PSU on the internal clock in the EtherRegen that makes much of the difference.

So a PSU doubled the performance of your ER? I'm scratching my head here. Most of us have been highly impressed by the SQ boost; are you claiming the PSU created that same exact effect?

FYI, my Kesces P3 isn't detectable in a blind test. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

26 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

So a PSU doubled the performance of your ER? I'm scratching my head here. Most of us have been highly impressed by the SQ boost; are you claiming the PSU created that same exact effect?

FYI, my Kesces P3 isn't detectable in a blind test. 

I'm astonished the Keces makes so little difference in your system. It's obviously not exactly the same effect but it was equally large in my system.

1 hour ago, bailyhill said:

I know one of Sean Jacobs specialties is upgrading Naim gear.  

1 hour ago, Ponkbutler said:

I agree,

I am using SJ DC3 1 rail for the EtherRegen, and yes big improvement over stock SMPS. Not suggesting you go and buy an LPS for £1000 to power the Etheregen, but like me, if you are planning on buying an SJ DC3 with say 5 rails, then adding another rail for £250 to power the EtherRegen then it's worth it. 

I have looked at the Sean Jacobs PS and the Mutek Ref 10;  Right now I am "saving my penny's" to upgrade the crossover in my Apogee Scintillas to Mundorf Caps😀  That may be a bigger uptik in SQ.  Metalized Polypropylenes were stock from the factory, that are 37 years young these days.

Power supplies are critical in certain parts of the digital path.  For instance, my music streamer is an Asus Tinker Board S running Volumio.  It's a very nice but inexpensive single-board computer and does the job superbly.  However, like all computers, it's noisy.  I have what some might consider overkill, a very expensive 5V supercap PSU (Coherent QP-1) feeding it, which keeps the noise down and the performance up.  For the ER, it just needed a decent 12V LPSU to reap benefits over the SMPS.  I also run two regenerators to feed the whole system, which further improves the performance of all the power supplies.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

On 5/27/2020 at 7:29 PM, trailblazers_song said:

Those of u who supply LPSU to your etherRegen, what’s the prefer voltage ?

Im using a Farad3 power supply at 7v. The Farad are not user adjustable, I went with 7v based on a couple of other people’s reports that the 7v sounded better when compared to the same supply at higher voltages. This probably only applies to this exact supply and not other supplies.

21 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Just my opinion but I wouldn't buy Mutek REF 10, why? I cannot justify the cost just to use on the EtherRegen. I would think spending the money else where might give various other upgrades. Just my view. 

I would agree. I have one connected to my ER but it also clocks a Mutec +3 USB. Earlier in its life when I was using Rednet(AOIP) it also clocked my D16. While it makes a very nice improvement in SQ refinement in those situations I would not recommend it just for the ER. I would spend that money elsewhere first.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

My master clock is feeding both the ER and Mutec MC-3+ USB, too.  The benefits are additive so in this case, it's well worth it.  It also cost a lot less than a Ref 10.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

8 hours ago, MartinT said:

My master clock is feeding both the ER and Mutec MC-3+ USB, too.  The benefits are additive so in this case, it's well worth it.  It also cost a lot less than a Ref 10.

What are the sonic implications of this clock being 50ohm?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

6 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

What are the sonic implications of this clock being 50ohm?

I can't tell you yet (in other words, I don't know until I make some changes), but I can tell you that with decent short 75 ohm cables it works extremely well.  I do intend changing the BNC outputs to 75 ohm connectors (already ordered) and check the circuit for adapting it to 75 ohms.  Then I'll be able to say if it was worth it or if it proves so close as to make no worthwhile difference.

On 6/2/2020 at 1:20 AM, nkbg said:

I am using a 7V Farad on the ER.

I made a cable using V-Quad Cu21 wire from VH Audio (https://www.vhaudio.com/v-quad.html), Oyaide connector, WBT solder. It did improve everything by a notch - quieter and calmer. Chris at VH is great to deal with as well.

Thanks for your feedback. Based on the advice from others, I decided to go with the Audio Sensibility Signature Silver cable a couple of weeks ago. This gave me a nice uptick in SQ compared to the standard Farad DC cable.

On 6/3/2020 at 3:31 PM, Superdad said:

Yeah, we’ve been eyeing this foamed FEP dielectric cable for a while now.  Maybe I should invest in a 500-foot spool of it and offer nice DC cables made with it. Have to see what sort of price Chris VenHaus can come up with for a bulk buy and what the aerospace cable assembly firm I now use says about labor cost.

Remember to get them to also quote on the separate deluxe version with the JSSG360 shielding. 😁