IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

29 minutes ago, soares said:

I replaced my Gtek FMC with an optical module  and there was a notable increase of SQ. 
Cheers Jorge

Would you say that the increase justified the cost of the opticalModule?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

56 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Would you say that the increase justified the cost of the opticalModule?

Ohh yes. Definitely:-)

Even with the additional cost of an extra LPS. 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

An update on my earlier post on adding optical..

The highs continue to have a tendency to have too hard an edge.  I've ordered some optical attenuators as it could be that the signal is too strong given the relatively short length of fiber I'm using. A friend is using a much longer length of cable with is Startech products - and he doesn't hear this issue.  He's also not using an ER on the clean side, but I doubt that's the issue.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

5 hours ago, soares said:

Currently using:

Jensen VRD- iFF > Router (HDPLEX) > Pink Faun isolator > Ethernet copper > Zen MKIII > Ethernet  copper > Optical module (LPS 1.2) > fiber > Etherregen (Sbooster + ultra) > Ethernet copper >  Ultrarendu (Sbooster) > USB > Isoregen (LPS 1.2) > USB > (OPPO 205 modded).

Interesting setup.  By any chance did you try using the eR without the Optical module to determine how it improved the eR used alone?

I assume that a JS-2 LPS could power both optical module and eR.  That is an interesting prospect as I consider future improvements to the eR alone.   

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

8 hours ago, PYP said:

Interesting setup.  By any chance did you try using the eR without the Optical module to determine how it improved the eR used alone?

I assume that a JS-2 LPS could power both optical module and eR.  That is an interesting prospect as I consider future improvements to the eR alone.   

Yes I did. The oM improves the already excellent eR SQ. Cheers Jorge

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

20 hours ago, soares said:

Currently using:

Jensen VRD- iFF > Router (HDPLEX) > Pink Faun isolator > Ethernet copper > Zen MKIII > Ethernet  copper > Optical module (LPS 1.2) > fiber > Etherregen (Sbooster + ultra) > Ethernet copper >  Ultrarendu (Sbooster) > USB > Isoregen (LPS 1.2) > USB > (OPPO 205 modded).

Can you test without the isoregen? I have a similar setup, and although the ir improves my microrendu I find that my ultraRendu sounds better than mR+iR, and the ultrarendu on its own sounds better  than uR+iR. All powered by Lps1.2s. I am curious about your findings. I tested for instance with Sinner Man, from Four woman: the Nina Simone Philips Recordings. 

This came especially apparent after adding the etherRegen: before adding that I did not really notice this clearly. 

Yes, I will do it whenever possible. 

9 hours ago, uwe062 said:
I would like to buy a power supply for the EtherRegen. I heard a lot of good things from the Farad Super3

Hi Uwe,

The Farad 3 interests me as well, but the price tag so far made me refrain from buying it. Instead I am very pleased using a Zerozone LPS:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/ZEROZONE-Finished-65VA-Ultra-Low-Noise-linear-Power-supply-5V-9V-12V-15V-18V-etc-/322429316074

which is a lot cheaper and brings the ER forward too, surely (?) not as much as a Farad 3 would do.

However, one warning I have to make:

Using the Zerozone 12v LPS lead to massive hiccups,

(Hi Crom! #701) -->

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/page/29/#comments

so pleasant listening became impossible. Via the German "aktiv hoeren" forum I got contact to a helpful audiophyle who uses the identical type of LPS now knowing that at least for 2 years (that is the age of my LPS, his is nearly new) it is produced with a bug (at least the 12v version). He kindly soldered a capacitor to the board thus achieving a constant flow of 12v. After this LPS-modification the ER works as it should have done from the beginning,

which is brilliantly.

Best,

Uwe

@kennyb123

Thanks for this info. Ordered a pair and will see what they might bring (or take away) from my pair of opticalModules. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

17 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I just installed a pair of 10 db attenuators on the server side and a pair of 5 db attenuators on the other side. Treble is much improved though still a little hot on recordings that have that tendency anyway.  These are the attenuators:  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07R5D72JL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_MM5hEbVX60JNC

What is the difference between the LC/UPC attenuators you bought and the LC/APC attenuators below?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B1KH6DX/?coliid=I4B8CAK6ZS4FP&colid=1O2O3N2HH23ZK&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Good question:

https://www.belden.com/blog/data-centers/upc-or-apc

The biggest takeaway is don't mix APC and UPC connectors. If you have standard OM1/UPC (orange) cable, then use the UPC attenuators. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

I’ve got a 35 foot cat8 run from my Cisco switch to my EtherREGEN that I’d like to replace with a StarTech optical modules, optical cables, and the appropriate attenuators.  I would greatly appreciate it if you would please provide the parts numbers I need to replicate your build.

Thanks

Wayne

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

6 minutes ago, lwr said:

I’ve got a 35 foot cat8 run from my Cisco switch to my EtherREGEN that I’d like to replace with a StarTech optical modules, optical cables, and the appropriate attenuators.  I would greatly appreciate it if you would please provide the parts numbers I need to replicate your build.

Thanks

Wayne

Look at post 298 in this thread.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
11 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

Look at post 298 in this thread.

Thanks!

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

2 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

What is the difference between the LC/UPC attenuators you bought and the LC/APC attenuators below?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B1KH6DX/?coliid=I4B8CAK6ZS4FP&colid=1O2O3N2HH23ZK&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I just had to Google APC vs UPC.  Interesting:  https://www.belden.com/blog/data-centers/upc-or-apc

This helps:  "UPC connectors are blue while APC connectors are green."

The fiber optic cable that I purchased has blue connectors.  I would think that UPC would be the correct choice of attenuator for these.

Begs the question though if APC would be the better choice with the Startech SFPs because they have a 1550nm wavelength.  Per the article above APC is often the choice above 1500.

19 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I just had to Google APC vs UPC.  Interesting:  https://www.belden.com/blog/data-centers/upc-or-apc

This helps:  "UPC connectors are blue while APC connectors are green."

The fiber optic cable that I purchased has blue connectors.  I would think that UPC would be the correct choice of attenuator for these.

Interesting.  Thanks!

Just now, auricgoldfinger said:

Interesting.  Thanks!

I'll continue to do some more digging into this and report back what I find.

3 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

@kennyb123

Thanks for this info. Ordered a pair and will see what they might bring (or take away) from my pair of opticalModules. 

I very much look forward to hearing your thoughts.  

I have a metal connector Ethernet cables in and out of the ER.  I’m not sure if this is cat 6a - it was over a year ago since I bought them.  I replaced the short B side with a standard cat 5 and it diminished the sound quite a bit.

Also I have been playing with various footers and weights on the ER.  I found too much weight (about a 3 lb copper weight) made the sound a bit too controlled.  I placed various Starsound copper washers on the case and found an amount I felt was the best combo of control and bloom. I find the whole process quite like a black art where little makes Technical sense.

I also floated my tube preamp on active insolation platform that took the system to the next level (but not the same magnitude as the ER added)

I played some tracks last night i hadn’t heard since getting the ER (and preamp isolation) and was shocked by all the new things I heard and the level of realism and naturalness.  Just wow.  

A53EF8DC-6D2C-4327-BD1F-C611A2ED32D3.jpeg

1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

Installed the -10db attenuators on the receiving opticalModule. Thoughts so far - this is yet another rabbit hole to go down! Might actually be worth starting a separate thread. Sound was a bit disconcerting at first - there's so much more detail, and the instruments have so much separation, I think it's taking my brain/ears awhile to adjust (burn-in so to speak). Bass doesn't seem as prominent, but on careful listening one can really hear the full tone of the bass, and really discern the instrument in space, and pick it out even when it's pushed back in the mix. In fact the same can be said for every instrument/sound. Closing my eyes and listen to "Cluster &Eno" and Harrison/Shankar's "Chants of India" last night was near psychedelic sounding, for lack of abetter descriptor. 

With all of that extra clarity, it did seem to lose some mids weight and musicality (toe tapping) but I'm thinking that's mostly a case, like I said, of getting used to all of the new detail. The big question is: how do different db attenuators sound, and would a better quality attenuator (say a Belkin) sound any better? Also, both ends vs just the receiving one? 

Yep!  Like diff in looking at Grand Canyon form a distance using binoculars versus with eyes wide open at the rim. 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates