IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

20 hours ago, Jud said:

I liked the sound with the Cable Matters Cat 8. But there was also something from the Monoprice Cat 6a cables, perhaps a bit of intimacy in the musical presentation, that I missed. So I thought that since the Monoprice Cat 8 cables are quite inexpensive, I'd give them a try to see if I might achieve the best of both worlds. With the Monoprice Cat 8 I immediately felt the sense of intimacy had returned, without the defect of the Cat 6a in comparison to the Cable Matters, which is that the Cable Matters had done such a nice job of presenting top end and voices. The Monoprice Cat 8 in my system does a very nice job of that.

By "intimacy" do you mean a greater sense of being in the same room as the musicians?  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Thanks to the photo you shared in PM, I was able to split the duplex connector.  I’m hoping I placed the attenuator in the Rx side.

There’s a $25 optical power meter on Amazon.  I may buy it.  

6142E50D-788A-4A7B-9735-C1158C847D93.thumb.jpeg.1556484c4aa330dbe2878a4450dd7b2e.jpeg

C2BEECEC-1771-4108-A6CC-A3BD7198B731.jpeg.e9cdb7e91f9c6e9c8cf21a14b20f4312.jpeg

For anyone interested in doing this, note the white wrap is on different sides on the two ends.  I got this backwards initially.

32FB5BD8-C39A-40D2-AEA8-F4E4C757329B.thumb.jpeg.d9f74dac0d657b59407bfdb129c40806.jpeg

Any change in sound doing it this way?

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

2 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Any change in sound doing it this way?

I’m at a work event tonight so didn’t get much of a chance to listen, but after first sitting down there was an apparent difference.  A bit of the hot treble had returned which had me thinking I put the attenuators on the wrong side.  A quick Google search confirmed that to be the case so I swapped them and the hot treble was gone.  I really wish it hadn’t been so easy to hear the difference.

It did seem like the sound was more transparent with the attenuators used incorrectly.  It’s unfortunate the treble can get hot. Right before I left, I swapped in 5 dB attenuators.  I heard a difference but need to spend more time with it to figure things out.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Yes, that’s the result. I’d like to avoid using frequency-based terms because that’s really more appropriate for analog. But we haven’t developed very precise language for digital even after 35 years (quick, what does jitter sound like?), so I’m searching for necessarily imprecise terms that will convey how I feel when I’m listening, more than actually describing the sound itself. I listened to a song from an older Alison Krauss album a day or two ago, and I swear I could picture her bee-stung lips moving to form the words.

I will have to order one of these cables myself.  Thanks for sharing your observations.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:01 AM, Jud said:

From fiber back to inexpensive copper:

I liked the sound with the Cable Matters Cat 8. But there was also something from the Monoprice Cat 6a cables, perhaps a bit of intimacy in the musical presentation, that I missed. So I thought that since the Monoprice Cat 8 cables are quite inexpensive, I'd give them a try to see if I might achieve the best of both worlds. With the Monoprice Cat 8 I immediately felt the sense of intimacy had returned, without the defect of the Cat 6a in comparison to the Cable Matters, which is that the Cable Matters had done such a nice job of presenting top end and voices. The Monoprice Cat 8 in my system does a very nice job of that.

Everything sounded so nice I thought I'd try to make it even better, so I did some experiments with moving power plugs around and bringing back an old MIT Z-1 into the system while I turned the volume up with no music and listened for noise at the speakers. When noise was at an absolute minimum I put the music back on, and I'm tremendously pleased.

Hi JUD,

very interesting, did you have tried the supra cat8? 

Some findings about upstream changes:

My modem/router (made mandatory by my internet provider Ziggo, here in The Netherlands, a Compal CH7465LG) never seemed a very audiophile part in the chain. In forums and tests I’ve read a lot of times that the modem doesn’t play a roll in sound quality. That’s why I never experimented with it. It only has an iFi iPurifier2 after its SMPS, since a year or so. I can’t remember having heard any effect on the sound.

Because my sBooster LPS on ER did not give a good result (slightly less resolution), I had plans to sell it. But then I came up with the (at that moment seemingly silly) idea of trying it on the Compal. Immediately audible result in resolution! My wife heard it right away when she came into the room. Was it better? Unlike my wife, I like higher resolution in general, but I also found the high tones a bit sharp at the edges (test: Chet Baker, “Chet”: Alone together, both the trumpet and the saxophone). No matter the judgement, what is very clear is that modem (so "upstream") does have an effect in my system. To me that is, or rather was surprising.

Having determined this, I bought a decent cable from the “wall” to the Compal: I went from a 1.99 euros standard cable provided by Ziggo to a better, but still very cheap, Clicktronic f-connector coax cable (13.99 euros, just the most expensive Ziggo-approved cable I could find). The sharpness disappeared, immediately audible, the soundstage even widened a bit more. These may be fairly unusual findings, but I would recommend and encourage anyone to experiment upstream in the chain. Happy listening!

Streaming only: Tidal and Qobuz

Short system configuration (leaving out the power regenerators and power supplies):

Compal>Supra cat 7>into ER>

Roon Nucleus>AQ Vodka>into ER

ER out>AQ Vodka>Naim NDX2>Chord reference RCA>Accuphase E-600>AQ Rocket 88>Audio Physic Avanti

2 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

Hi JUD,

very interesting, did you have tried the supra cat8? 

Nope. Can't try everything. 🙂

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Lucie said:

No matter the judgement, what is very clear is that modem (so "upstream") does have an effect in my system. To me that is, or rather was surprising.

Same evaluation here! I am feeding my router with a HDplex. Even the PQ of my WiFi Apple TV have improved. 🙂

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

5 hours ago, Lucie said:

My modem/router (made mandatory by my internet provider Ziggo, here in The Netherlands, a Compal CH7465LG) never seemed a very audiophile part in the chain. In forums and tests I’ve read a lot of times that the modem doesn’t play a roll in sound quality. That’s why I never experimented with it. It only has an iFi iPurifier2 after its SMPS, since a year or so. I can’t remember having heard any effect on the sound.

Because my sBooster LPS on ER did not give a good result (slightly less resolution), I had plans to sell it. But then I came up with the (at that moment seemingly silly) idea of trying it on the Compal. Immediately audible result in resolution! My wife heard it right away when she came into the room. Was it better? Unlike my wife, I like higher resolution in general, but I also found the high tones a bit sharp at the edges (test: Chet Baker, “Chet”: Alone together, both the trumpet and the saxophone). No matter the judgement, what is very clear is that modem (so "upstream") does have an effect in my system. To me that is, or rather was surprising.

Having determined this, I bought a decent cable from the “wall” to the Compal: I went from a 1.99 euros standard cable provided by Ziggo to a better, but still very cheap, Clicktronic f-connector coax cable (13.99 euros, just the most expensive Ziggo-approved cable I could find). The sharpness disappeared, immediately audible, the soundstage even widened a bit more. These may be fairly unusual findings, but I would recommend and encourage anyone to experiment upstream in the chain. Happy listening!

Short system configuration (leaving out the power regenerators and power supplies):

ER out>AQ Vodka>Naim NDX2>Chord reference RCA>Accuphase E-600>AQ Rocket 88>Audio Physic Avanti

3 hours ago, soares said:

Same evaluation here! I am feeding my router with a HDplex. Even the PQ of my WiFi Apple TV have improved. 🙂

Actually not surprising. While the ER certainly seems to help mightily with what's coming through the Ethernet cable, remember noise can come from the power side of the system. While Uptone's SMPS has a ground shunt to get rid of noise, this may not be the case with upstream modems, for example. This is possibly why I think my system did not sound as good with a Cisco switch feeding the ER via optical, versus the ER on its own - the Cisco was being powered by its internal SMPS.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I played with a Cisco Meraki 220-8 this week, tried it as an « audiophile switch » and results are pretty bad with the internal smps (upfront sound, warm and simplified). With or without an other audiophile switch in the chain this kind of choice show how smps can corrupt network audio results. Removing the internal smps for a LPS1.2 was a big upgrade for this Meraki, with qualities than can be reported with a good audiophile switch, except it still lose some good meat on the bone at the end.

MSB Reference> Ypsilon Aelius 2 >Vivid G1 or Andra3

HQPlayer >Diretta DST>Holo May>Holo Serene>Kinki ex-m7>Leedh e2 glass or DIY (Davis/Heil).

On 1/22/2020 at 6:20 PM, Jud said:

Actually not surprising. While the ER certainly seems to help mightily with what's coming through the Ethernet cable, remember noise can come from the power side of the system. While Uptone's SMPS has a ground shunt to get rid of noise, this may not be the case with upstream modems, for example. This is possibly why I think my system did not sound as good with a Cisco switch feeding the ER via optical, versus the ER on its own - the Cisco was being powered by its internal SMPS.

Jud, what do you mean with the ER on its own? And how is your connection now from ISP point to ER?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

21 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Jud, what do you mean with the ER on its own?

he means without the cisco switch.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
On 1/22/2020 at 12:39 PM, Lucie said:

Hi Lucie, I am in the Netherlands and on Ziggo too. My wifi-modem-router is a Cisco EPC 3928 with a 15V/2.0A SMPS. May be I should try replacing its SMPS with a LPS too and see what it brings to the table. A question though: did you try other Ethernet cables besides the Supra cat 7? I ask because the shielding (via the metal connector housings) could lead to noise distribution to the ER.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

3 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

he means without the cisco switch.

Yes, yes, but I am curious what his setup is now. The way I interpret it is him going from optical via switch to copper directly from eero pro router (from signature) made an improvement.

23 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Last night’s late listening session confirmed for me that using attenuators as they are meant to be used - on Rx side only - made a positive difference.  Big thanks to @octaviars for helping me to get sorted out on that.  Playing the same tracks as the previous night, I heard improvements in clarity and openness.  

I now think the key is to find the minimum amount of attenuation that keeps oversaturation from having a detrimental impact to sound quality.  I’ve been using tracks that have a tendency to have a hot treble to assess this.  I’m not sure I’m there yet but I’m really close and also starting to burn out on assessing this.  It was well worth the effort though.

Lastly I should mention that I had been using the stock power supply with the Startech FMC. I wasn’t sure it would be a keeper so I didn’t purchase a better supply for it.  I also didn’t think I had on hand a supply that would offer an improvement.  Out of curiosity, I finally pulled the “el cheapo” out of the closet and then popped open the lid to set it for 5v.  To my surprise this seemed to help.

Next steps for me on this is to purchase an opticalModule once they are back in stock.  I’m eager to hear how this improves things over the Startech FMC.

I am sitting a bit on the sideline waiting how this optical feeding of the ER pans out but sound promising with these attenuators. I was wondering if the guys who play with the optical rendu know about this.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

39 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Yes, yes, but I am curious what his setup is now. The way I interpret it is him going from optical via switch to copper directly from eero pro router (from signature) made an improvement.

That is exactly correct.

24 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Hi Lucie, I am in the Netherlands and on Ziggo too. My wifi-modem-router is a Cisco EPC 3928 with a 15V/2.0A SMPS. May be I should try replacing its SMPS with a LPS too and see what it brings to the table. A question though: did you try other Ethernet cables besides the Supra cat 7? I ask because the shielding (via the metal connector housings) could lead to noise distribution to the ER.

I would certainly give a good LPS a try.

I don’t technically understand the noise issue from modem/router to ER, but I trust my ears, so I have just connected a cat 5e cable with plastic connectors. It’s the only cable I had lying around, 15 m long. After some back and fourth: it’s different from Supra. To put it in words: more definition. Have to do more listening to define the changes better and to determine if I like it in the long run. Can the difference be explained from the metal vs plastic connectors or from the cable? Supra should not be too bad, the other cable is a cheap data cable...

Any recommendations for an ethernet cable with plastic connectors? The 15m won’t stay on; 3m are enough.

51 minutes ago, Lucie said:

I would certainly give a good LPS a try.

I don’t technically understand the noise issue from modem/router to ER, but I trust my ears, so I have just connected a cat 5e cable with plastic connectors. It’s the only cable I had lying around, 15 m long. After some back and fourth: it’s different from Supra. To put it in words: more definition. Have to do more listening to define the changes better and to determine if I like it in the long run. Can the difference be explained from the metal vs plastic connectors or from the cable? Supra should not be too bad, the other cable is a cheap data cable...

Any recommendations for an ethernet cable with plastic connectors? The 15m won’t stay on; 3m are enough.

I have good experiences with (cheap) Telegärtner cat 6 UTP and couldn't really distinguish between 5m and 10m. The general consensus is to stay away from metal shielded housings if these housings are connected to the shield of the cable on both ends. This creates a route for aforementioned noise and leakage currents.

3 hours ago, RickyV said:

I am sitting a bit on the sideline waiting how this optical feeding of the ER pans out but sound promising with these attenuators. I was wondering if the guys who play with the optical rendu know about this.

I'm thinking it's likely that the choice of SFP will dictate how likely attenuators might be needed.  If there haven't been reports of a hot treble from the guys playing with the opticalRendu, it could very well be that the SFP that Sonore recommended doesn't need to be used with attenuators.  I selected Startech SFPs based on the endorsement of Emile from Taiko Audio.  I have no idea if these would be any better than what Sonore recommends.  You could maybe start there though as those SFPs are very reasonably priced - Sonore sells them for $20 each.  

Thanks so much to all who provided photos, tips, instructions, etc.  I haven't had a chance to install the attenuators yet, but I had ordered two pairs or 10 and 7 db ones by happenstance assuming I may break them, and they were inexpensive.  So I will try the "one on each end" configuration suggested above.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

One other question that will annoy and/or frustrate many:  has anyone found a difference in SQ between different brands of the SFP's that slide into the OpticalModule and/or the EtherRegen?

I am using orange colored fiber that was supplied by Small Green Computer when I bought two of the OpticalModules.  I think I paid $20 for it.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.