IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

Cat 8 is earthed, Cat 6 is NOT! The plastic connectors on the Cat 6 breaks any earth connection.  Cat 8 metal connectors is DEATH to SQ due to earth leakage current linkage.

Miska - developer of HQPlayer tells anyone who asks - DONT use metal connectors on your ethernet cables for this exact reason. I tried nail polish which is Varnish Right? to break the earth leakage path. Maybe the earth connection within the wire loom inside the cable is still conducting the earth leakage current. 

I did not believe the SQ difference. A brand-less USD2.50 cable for 1.2m vs a 20USD Cat 8 cable with beautiful finish. Plug in Plug Out. and you will throw away the Cat 8 cable. It takes 5 seconds. All system components exactly the same, Same volume setting, Same tune. It takes 5 seconds! I trust my ears.

I have also ordered a couple of cable matters cat 8 cables while awaiting delivery of the etherregen in january.

Would this cable from inakustik be a good one from the aspect of tied connector shield. This one has no metal connector

so I guess it will be fine. Perhaps a competitor to BJC?

https://www.hifisound.de/en/Hifi-Accessories/Cable-Crafted/LAN-Network/Inakustik-Premium-II-CAT6-Ethernet-Network-Cable-0-50-mtr.html

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

1 hour ago, magnuska said:

I have also ordered a couple of cable matters cat 8 cables while awaiting delivery of the etherregen in january.

Would this cable from inakustik be a good one from the aspect of tied connector shield. This one has no metal connector

https://www.hifisound.de/en/Hifi-Accessories/Cable-Crafted/LAN-Network/Inakustik-Premium-II-CAT6-Ethernet-Network-Cable-0-50-mtr.html

Magnuska,

It is tough to say which cable is best. If you do compare the SQ of the CM cat 8 vs. Inakustik please share the results here.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

44 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Magnuska,

It is tough to say which cable is best. If you do compare the SQ of the CM cat 8 vs. Inakustik please share the results here.

Hi Imitche,

I will post IF I choose to buy the inakustiks.. I have used their USB cable Inakustik Reference wich was very good so this german brand could be quite good even with LAN cables?

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

5 hours ago, lmitche said:

Kelvin,

Ground connections will greatly vary from system to system, with many variables such as power supply design, design and placement of isolation devices on both network and USB cables and the cable itself.

Given this one cannot generalize about how SQ will react to a cable. It is best to test SQ directly and based on results, take things from there.

Indeed, you have done this. Thanks for sharing that cat8 was worse then cat6a cables at your place. That's great, but we have many people here that have had quite a different result. So the expression YMMV seems to apply here.

YMMV applies . this is an universal truth in subjective evaluation in audiophile land. Rigt now this cable is undergoing Youtube and CNBC Video burn in😅

Will report back in 100 plus hours

Triple layer Aluminium foil 4 layer thick ~ 12 layers in total with insulating tape in between .. connected to each other at one end 

At the other end 26ga pure silver earth wire to connect to star ground Earth connection on Furutech power strip.

Top Japanese Cat 8 brand with gold plated metal  end connectors now with 4 coats of varnish

Burning in for at least 3 days on high internet data flow 

Will report back on any SQ improvement snd comparison to the Cat 6 Triple JSSG snd earthed cables in my setup

7D90A7A2-9B98-4478-9627-C85D743193DA.jpeg

On 1/2/2020 at 1:54 PM, magnuska said:

Today I received my 2 cablematters ethernet cables. I replaced the Ghent first gen cables with JSSG (not 360). 

As I am awaiting delivery of a new Vinnie Rossi L2 integrated I have no possibility to listen via my normal setup. 

I run a seriously unbalanced setup with Innuos zen Mini mkIII with Antipodes EX via chromecast into my LG Oled television 😉. Yes through the telly;s speaker it is possible to hear differences between the new and old Ghent cables. From cold its a no big difference but I can

hear its bass improved and also highs seems improved. Its a bit more musical sounding - more easy to listen to.  

On 1/2/2020 at 5:53 AM, emailists said:

Ocateviars, thanks for measuring the temp of the case.  I found the case to be cooler to the touch with the weight on, but have no capacity to measure it.  I wasn’t attempting to change the temp, just trying what a few others noted and found the sonic benefit.  

I did some changes in the vents of my cabinet so the fan can circulate the air better and now my eR runs around 37-38C as a reference my NUC i5BNH with Roon ROCK in a Akasa case runs at 34-35C so I am happy with my changes :)

Regarding LAN cables I use the old version of Ghent cables betwen ISP fiber, router and between eR and NUC (I run fiber between router and eR). From eR to my dCS Network Bridge I use a CAT7A cable with Telegärtners new MFP 8.1 connectors, sheild only connected at the DCS side.

1.JPG.a3862ce3769f753958a255a93aa6ce2a.JPG

2.JPG.3b163e572b59f95b36b62add4b99392e.JPG

4.JPG.3bd78175fb14af387ea64e8f4895f059.JPG

5.JPG.dc892608814e9e3cf3c6279d74bc0dfd.JPG

6.JPG.c04af2d2d2b46216f44a34ba25d404fa.JPG

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
On 1/1/2020 at 3:28 PM, ray-dude said:

+10000

Maddening to have something this audible without even a working physical theory (cable to optimized NUC to optimized TX Ultra for USB regeneration to DAC...that's a lot of optimization layers between the cable and my ears). Clearly the enhanced shielding of the CAT8 cables is making a difference.  Can the antenna effect to the streamer end point be that significant?

With a second Cable Matters CAT8 on hand, I just had to experiment.  I clipped the shield on one end of the cable, thinking I would prefer the clipped end on the NUC (I power my NUC with a battery for mains isolation).  Alas, another hypothesis shot down.  I preferred the clipped shield end on the ER side (at least so far)

All this reminds me of the random walk search a bunch of folks did with Lush^2 shield configurations.  Those with the Phasure ET^2 are in a much better position to investigate different shield configurations to suss out what may be going on.

maddening is a good description, and not just for digital cables.

consider pc/nuc==>router==>opticalModule==>optical Rendu==>totalDAC reclocker==>totalDAC

all devices powered by linear power supplies.

not just the cables matter, but the latency in the NUC and even the RAM (running hqplayer under audiolinux with ramroot sounding better than off the usb stick)

i brought this up with some friends and colleagues at an engineering conference last year and, after considering (and hopefully rejecting) the conclusion that i had a few loose screws, we concluded that the only mechanism we could hypothesize was power and ground related noise components (whether ground plane, noise injected back into the line, noise created in device processing received jittered clocks, etc........)

On 1/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, Jud said:

Mayyybeee, at some point in the future. I liked their Cat 6a, and these are not expensive. So let's see what @BCRich and anyone else who decides to try them might think.

But like you, at this point I'm happy. I posted the link for anyone else who might be curious.

So my pre ER experiment has begun. I started to receive the Monoprice Cat 8 cables across multiple shipments from amazon today. The first swap I decided to employ was replacing the AQ Diamond going from my Pakedge Switch to my Sonore Optical Module. Things definitely got more livelier......I also felt there were more subtle detail’s being resolved. The AQ cable seemed dull and lifeless when I did a comparison.

Things did get a bit edgy here and there, hoping some burn in will take care of that.

The next thing I did was replace a generic cable and a AQ Diamond cable both of which also fed 2 Mac Mini’s via a Pakedge Switch; one for my Roon Core (Server) and the more powerful one for HQ Player functionality. This had more of an impact on the overall soundstage and presentation. I’ve yet to replace the Verizon ONT/Modem/Eero feed’s as of yet. I also plan on running CAT8 from my Cisco Switch to both Pakedge Switches as well. I should have plenty of burn in on these cables by the time I receive my etherRegen. Already thinking about a second ER but at the same time it might be nice to swap out the MacMini’s with a i9 Sonic Transporter.

'Tis the season, so added some Christmas lights to mine.

IMG_0342.JPG

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 minute ago, thyname said:

‘Hey Mola Mola: what you got in there? SR HFTs?

Oh, so close!  You almost received the audio nervosa award this year. 😎    SR ECTs.

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

3 minutes ago, PYP said:

Oh, so close!  You almost received the audio nervosa award this year. 😎    SR ECTs.

‘LOL! Very funny! One cannot be called Snake Oil lover without Synergistic Research in their system. Guilty as charged 😂🤷🏻

Can you elaborate more in what you did, and the outcome, in there? I really need more snake oil LOL!

Ok.  But I think you are killing the suspense that every eR owner now has about the ECTs.  

But I'm glad you asked because it is a long story and that is also fitting for the season.  So...  The ECTs were used INSIDE my previous DAC (DirectStream).  For that experiment, I kept the cover off and added the ECTs one at a time and moved them around.  Ending up using all five, mostly on chips.  The effect was subtle, but good.  Perhaps placebo effect, but I still don't understand SR's explanation, and if I did, I probably wouldn't believe it.  My working theory is that in that application, mounted by some grey-tack (provided), they worked against resonance of the chips themselves.  OK, it is snake oil, but it never inflamed my guts, so "no gain, no pain" to those who love to measure.  😝

At any rate, once I had all the Mola Mola gear in place, I put the tweaks back into a box.  You just plop the MM down, connect and enjoy.  

Well, no longer being the patient audiophile (is there such a thing?) I was in my younger years, I put all the tweaks on eR nearly at the same time.  First, a Herbie's tube damper below to increase air flow and a Aurios bearing footer on top (never liked them under equipment) just to see what would happen (it does act as a bit of a heatsink and adds weight).  After a few hours, there seemed to be a subtle difference.  Then added a Bybee acrylic QSE beneath the SMPS.  Next day, I didn't notice anything much, so added the ECTs.  An hour or two later, I was in another room and a Roon radio selection played which actually startled me.  It was as though I was listening to the highest resolution recording I've ever experienced.  But, as we know, sometimes this effect can be too much and is actually boosting frequencies.  Over time, this can grow tiresome if it isn't truly natural/balanced/neutral.  

Therefore I don't have an answer yet.  Will leave it all as is for a week and see how it progresses.  More later... 

31 minutes ago, PYP said:

OK, it is snake oil, but it never inflamed my guts, so "no gain, no pain" to those who love to measure

I was only joking. But I am guessing you already know this.

Thanks for your explanation. Time for me to do further research on these tweaks.

If I may, I can share my experience with Synergistic Research. The following worked great for me:

Power Cords (Atmosphere X Excite then Euphoria)

Atmosphere X Reference USB cable and Ethernet cable

PowerCell 12 SE power conditioner 

‘’Euphoria XLR ICs, and speaker cables

The following made zero difference:

HFTs

Active Ground Block SE

Again, in my system, my house.

1 hour ago, thyname said:

I was only joking. But I am guessing you already know this.

Yes, as was I.  But I do understand when some of the explanations about this kind of stuff makes it hard to take seriously.  I suppose the truth of it is:  the manufacturer had a theory, tried stuff and some of it was audible.

Well, to switch the metaphor, you have clearly drunk the Kool-Aide.  And are enjoying the experience.  Interesting that with all your SR stuff the ground block didn't make a difference.  I thought that was a central concept of their cables...

To return to the thread -- is the Atmosphere ethernet cable AFTER the eR?  Would be interested in what you found if you experimented with alternatives.

51 minutes ago, PYP said:

Yes, as was I.  But I do understand when some of the explanations about this kind of stuff makes it hard to take seriously.  I suppose the truth of it is:  the manufacturer had a theory, tried stuff and some of it was audible.

Well, to switch the metaphor, you have clearly drunk the Kool-Aide.  And are enjoying the experience.  Interesting that with all your SR stuff the ground block didn't make a difference.  I thought that was a central concept of their cables...

To return to the thread -- is the Atmosphere ethernet cable AFTER the eR?  Would be interested in what you found if you experimented with alternatives.

I'm still using much of what I purchased from SR, though it's strictly cabling, though I do have and figured out how to make the HFT's work in my room.  Agree that quite a bit of his "technology" quite often relies on setup, for which only he seems to have the smarts.  Even dealers are left to fend for themselves in making his stuff work.  The original ART stuff does seem to work, when painstakingly set up correctly.  But I also found the ground block quite useless in my setup (especially having come to Shunyata products for conditioning my power environment). 

As we all find - we learn from out tweaks, and if there's merit to this stuff it often finds its way into "legitimate" products and fly under the radar.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

56 minutes ago, PYP said:

Interesting that with all your SR stuff the ground block didn't make a difference.

‘Me too. And I gave it a chance. I owned it for about three months. It did nothing. Maybe because I have a dedicated power line? And their cables mostly come with a ground plug that can simply be plugged to wall, making the ground block redundant? I don’t know... I simply report my experience 

59 minutes ago, PYP said:

To return to the thread -- is the Atmosphere ethernet cable AFTER the eR?  Would be interested in what you found if you experimented with alternatives

‘Yes it is. From EtherRegen to my streamer / server (Innuos ZENith MK3).

As for alternatives, I don’t know with regards to EtherRegen. I had it way before the EtherRegen arrived. I have not bothered with alternatives since then. This is one of the subjects I am no longer curious in experimenting with