IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

After Euphony installs into an internal disk and creates the 4 partitions, does anyone know if one can use the music partition to keep the main music files? 

Say Euphony is installed into an internal 1T SSD, with the music directory offering over 900G of space, would it be possible to use it as the main source of local files?

Especially when running Ramroot? 

Is there a special way to define the path where the music is stored? I am finding that Roon is confused depending on whether Euphony boots from USB flash drive or internal SSD and also normal boot or Ramroot boot. Each variation seems to require an entire new Roon setup. 

/data/Music is the default for Euphony on the boot drive. So yes you could store your music there for RAMroot access

Roon creates a new installation ID the first time it runs... if the confusion is authorization required when you switch from USB boot image to internal SSD boot image

I haven't found a way to get around that, the authorization ID's are different..

When using network attached storage be sure to define it as an attached drive via the Euphony interface first

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

Trying to resolve an issue with wordless choral harmony, wondering what the effect would be if I upgraded from an 8i3 to 7/8 i7 NUC. Can anyone share their experience

in improvements made from like upgrade?

Have to believe problem is either there or the DAC. Will disclose the symptom later, don't want to bias any response.

Depends on what u want to achieve. Higher CPU would help reduce issues with euphony when it tries to multi-task, eg playing hi res while downloading music to the local drive, or using hqplayer for upsampling,

converting pcm—> dsd and other intense work. Sound in general improves too as long as your power supply is good and not noisy. Usually better dynamic/details.. hi res like DSD or 24/352 benefit most from the more powerful CPU. 

12 hours ago, flkin said:

After Euphony installs into an internal disk and creates the 4 partitions, does anyone know if one can use the music partition to keep the main music files? 

Say Euphony is installed into an internal 1T SSD, with the music directory offering over 900G of space, would it be possible to use it as the main source of local files?

Especially when running Ramroot? 

Is there a special way to define the path where the music is stored? I am finding that Roon is confused depending on whether Euphony boots from USB flash drive or internal SSD and also normal boot or Ramroot boot. Each variation seems to require an entire new Roon setup. 

Turns out I made a mistake clearly warned about in the help files about using Ramroot with "Copy App Config to Memory". Forgot to toggle it off first. RTFM

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have rad this entire thread and I am a new owner of a Euphony PTS server. I am quite taken with it so far. 

I was hoping one of you could answer a couple of simple questions for me. The topic is Roon.

So far, I have managed to avoid Roon. I am pretty certain Roon may be the right thing for me, but I fear it may be an endless time hole. From reading this thread I get a couple of notions:

1. Using Roon as a media playback solution does not offer the best sound.

2. Using Roon with the core running on another device and using a Euphony device as a Roon Endpoint can offer better sound.

3. Using Roon with Euphony set in Roon Core + StylusEP sounds better still.

4. I wonder what Roon Bridge mode offers?

I was using a Lenovo PC with the paid version of Fidelizer to playback my music. I was using and enjoying JRiver software to choose and play my music. I find listening to Euphony Stylus on the new server sounds wonderful. I also have found setting Euphony to Squeezelite mode and using JRiver to stream music to it sounds great too.

Is there a loss in fidelity doing this? I'm not certain myself.

Euphony seems like they are all set to have my little server be a Roon Core but I think I might prefer using my other server for that and have the Euphony server do as little as possible to get the best sound out of it.

Am I on the right track? 

Is Roon avoidable or am I missing out?

Should I do it all on the Euphony PTS server or am I thinking right running the Core on another machine. 

I have so many machines available so it would not cost me a cent to use one.

Thanks for any advice you can offer, I have enjoyed this thread a great deal.

I am using:

NBS Universal II Preamp

NBS Universal II Power Amps

PS Audio P20 Power Plant

PS Audio DirectStream DAC

Wilson Audio Yvette Speakers

And the new Euphony PTS Server

4 hours ago, aangen said:

Hello, I have rad this entire thread and I am a new owner of a Euphony PTS server. I am quite taken with it so far. 

I was hoping one of you could answer a couple of simple questions for me. The topic is Roon.

So far, I have managed to avoid Roon. I am pretty certain Roon may be the right thing for me, but I fear it may be an endless time hole. From reading this thread I get a couple of notions:

2. Using Roon with the core running on another device and using a Euphony device as a Roon Endpoint can offer better sound.

I was using a Lenovo PC with the paid version of Fidelizer to playback my music. I was using and enjoying JRiver software to choose and play my music. I find listening to Euphony Stylus on the new server sounds wonderful. I also have found setting Euphony to Squeezelite mode and using JRiver to stream music to it sounds great too.

Euphony seems like they are all set to have my little server be a Roon Core but I think I might prefer using my other server for that and have the Euphony server do as little as possible to get the best sound out of it.

Am I on the right track? 

Should I do it all on the Euphony PTS server or am I thinking right running the Core on another machine. 

I am using:

NBS Universal II Preamp

PS Audio P20 Power Plant

If your question is whether Roon is necessary to enjoy Euphony OS, the answer is No. 

• if you are wedded to Roon like many are, then the best bet is to use Roon Core with StylusEP 
  • if you're agnostic, the best possible SQ I've heard is with Stylus on Euphony.

Your other question about whether to run a standalone server or a distributed setup is for you to decide. You can try it both ways and see what you prefer. For standalone, you can run either:

• Roon core + StylusEP  or
  • Stylus.

For distributed, you can run either:

• Roon core  on server, StylusEP on endpoint, or
  • Stylus  on server, StylusEP on endpoint.

I don't use PTS Server but Intel NUC7i5BNH with LPSU and music on local 2TB SSD.  I am very happy with Euphony Stylus.

If the PTS Server comes with switched mode AC-DC adapter, I suggest you upgrade to 12V 4A linear power supply.  China-made brands like Zerozone low-noise LPSU with R-core transformer is reasonably priced but very good.  You can get them from ebay.  Please ensure your order with 5.5mm outer x 2.5mm inner barrel connector / center positive +.

Despite already having 19V 4.2A Zerozone R-core LPSU powering my Intel NUC, recently I added iFi DC iPurifier2 and it lowers the background noise even further.  Not every expensive upgrade but very significant improvement in SQ.

Music server builder

21 hours ago, austinpop said:

For distributed, you can run either:

• Roon core  on server, StylusEP on endpoint, or
  • Stylus  on server, StylusEP on endpoint.

in addition to the above: yesterday I discovered that while running Stylus on server with the HQP option active you can still use Roon (server running on NAS) to select and play music.

This way you can vary based on usage type, casual/wife/discovering new stuff = Roon/HQP and listening session = Stylus/HQP, without changing audio systems in Euphony

This sort of scenario might be useful for fools like me that already have the HQPe and Roon licenses anyway...

In HQP I do not use any filters btw so the signal is just about as pure as just Stylus by itself 

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

On 10/3/2019 at 8:59 AM, aangen said:

Am I on the right track? 

I am using:

NBS Universal II Preamp

PS Audio P20 Power Plant

What I like about Euphony is it reduced the cabling spaghetti of a two box Audiolinux/Roon NUC server - endpoint solution to a 1 box Euphony Stylus solution direct connected to DAC.

But it took an Uptone Audio JS2 power supply to get me there, lesser power supplies left me preferring the 2 box solution.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, aangen said:

I am sad streaming is broken. I signed up and paid for a one year subscription to Qobuz and minutes later Euphony loses it's ability to stream it. Bah.

The fault is with Qobuz - they recently changed something in their protocols. Numerous streaming methods were broken as a result. This is not Euphony's fault. 

There is a similar thread in the Microrendu section — for this person the problem was with the Linn Kazoo control app. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

From what I have read there is/was/still is??  A defect in Qobuz that caused an outage.  It may be related to what is most likely an accidental SQL injection vunlerablity in their API (My assumption). The revoked some of the API keys for different software packages that talk to their API.  So there may be a need for a software update or just sign out and sign back in..

4 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

The fault is with Qobuz - they recently changed something in their protocols. Numerous streaming methods were broken as a result. This is not Euphony's fault. 

There is a similar thread in the Microrendu section — for this person the problem was with the Linn Kazoo control app. 

@David Craff any ideas on what client apps like Stylus need to change to fix this? We’ve been locked out of Qobuz for 2 days and counting.

1 minute ago, bobfa said:

From what I have read there is/was/still is??  A defect in Qobuz that caused an outage.  It may be related to what is most likely an accidental SQL injection vunlerablity in their API (My assumption). The revoked some of the API keys for different software packages that talk to their API.  So there may be a need for a software update or just sign out and sign back in..

The initial problem was where authentication was broken, I.e. you couldn’t login to Qobuz due to invalid app_id. That got fixed early Friday, and worked for a few hours.

The new problem since yesterday is that while content displays OK, it won’t stream.

Meanwhile Roon still works fine with Qobuz, so it is app-specific.

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

The initial problem was where authentication was broken, I.e. you couldn’t login to Qobuz due to invalid app_id. That got fixed early Friday, and worked for a few hours.

The new problem since yesterday is that while content displays OK, it won’t stream.

Meanwhile Roon still works fine with Qobuz, so it is app-specific.

Does anybody know when this issue will be resolved because I only use my Euphony PTS unit to access Qobuz and I do not use the music server for any other purpose?

Jeff.

I am very unimpressed with Qobuz at the moment. Unimpressed, I am quite angry. I have my Euphony server in Squeezelite mode and I am playing music to it via JRiver 25. Like a fool I downloaded the Windows app to the computer I have JRiver on. When I run the  Qobuz app it wants to use the speakers in the monitor attached to the computer for output. When I try to select JRiver it loads something into the playlist on JRiver. Meanwhile the Qobuz app goes into not responding mode, and when it comes out it says it couldn’t use JRiver but here, we can play out of your half inch monitor speakers. Bah.

And of course I kept fiddling with it thinking it could be solved.

Qobuz is a French company, isn’t it?

(not that there is anything wrong with that)

at at least I can sleep well knowing they have my money.

Aangen,

I am currently playing from Qobuz on my Volumio Primo just fine. I am also streaming directly on my iPad.  

Anger does not really help. We know for sure that about a week ago there was a problem with their systems and they had a crash! Recovering from that process required some of the vendors to make changes.  I do not know what might be going on today. Lets use some logic to find and fix the issues:

Go to the following website for Euphony and put in a support ticket:

https://euphony-audio.com/hesk/

Tell them what your issue is.  I am sure you will get a response soon.  Remember they are on the other side of the globe!

You can also trying DMing  @qobuz. on twitter to see if they can help.

----------------

You can also dig around here:

https://help.qobuz.com/hc/en-us

I am pretty sure the Qobuz app cannot send stuff to Jriver. I do not think that Jriver has a Qobuz plugin..........