IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

3 hours ago, Nenon said:

Perhaps Euphony can be tweaked even more by configuring realtime priority to the PCIe card. Typically if you contact Euphony support with a request like that, Željko would remote to your box and apply the custom settings. 

Yes, you can adjust the rtirq.conf file even on Euphony without asking Željko. I have tried to describe it here 

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

9 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

Yes, you can adjust the rtirq.conf file even on Euphony without asking Željko. I have tried to describe it here 

Yep, if you mount your Euphony drive externally, you can do that.

But you can't do it from Euphony, because audiouser (the only user we can SSH with) does not have permissions to write to this file, and we don't have the root password. Probably it would be easier for most people here to contact Euphony and have Željko do it. 

The real question is - did it make an audible difference in Euphony? 

Industry disclosure:
https://chicagohifi.com

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Conrad Johnson, Audio Mirror, and Sean Jacobs

20 minutes ago, Nenon said:

The real question is - did it make an audible difference in Euphony? 

Good question. I was not really sure about that with my iFi Pro iDSD. Now with my Matrix X-Sabre Pro my opinion is the changed rtirq.conf has a positive effect. The X-Sabre doesn't need the 5V for the handshake. Maybe that's a reason, too. I "only" have an iFi iPower 12V for the Element H at the moment. I plan to install Windows Server 2019 on this system on tuesday. Have a spare 32Gb Optane stick for this.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

3 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

Also I am unable to undo the Ramroot despite rebooting after disabling it ?!   SO I am stuck with RAMRoot.  I have about 30% RAM used now with RAMroot. I am not sure if there is a lot of improvement esp I can't go back to non-RAMroot to compare! 

I don't have this problem.  I boot Euphony from NVMe SSD inside NUC.  After disabling Ramroot from Advanced Settings, it takes a few seconds before the system is ready for shutdown.  It takes a lot longer if Euphony is booted from USB stick.  The next reboot should be quicker without Ramroot. 

I suggest you connect HDMI output to a monitor or TV and check the messages during boot.

Music server builder

3 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

Also I am unable to undo the Ramroot despite rebooting after disabling it ?!   SO I am stuck with RAMRoot.  I have about 30% RAM used now with RAMroot. I am not sure if there is a lot of improvement esp I can't go back to non-RAMroot to compare! 

I had the opposite problem, after loading and rebooting the message was "ramroot will be enabled after reboot" and it was repeating time after time. You need to open a ticket with Euphony. In my case Željko fixed the issue with remote, there was something with USB stick.

18 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I had the opposite problem, after loading and rebooting the message was "ramroot will be enabled after reboot" and it was repeating time after time. You need to open a ticket with Euphony. In my case Željko fixed the issue with remote, there was something with USB stick.

He fixed it remotely but did tell me to press "Safe fs to disk" before rebooting and that should reboot back to non-ramroot. I have not tried that yet. I am still doing non-RAMroot. I am not sure if my system the Ramroot would work fine. It was not sounding good yesterday when I play DXD, which I think is because of its large memory.. It occupies 28% of memory with DXD and with 24/96 about 22%. I have 8 GB. Maybe I need to burn in my RAM. It has always been only 5% used. So I suspect RAMroot may not work well for large files. However, I would later increase my RAM to 16 GB using the acclaimed Apacer ECC RAM. I think then RAM quality becomes very important running RAMroot.  It may also be I have not upgraded my Euphony V3 properly. Somehow I am still stuck with parts of V2 config, It is weird. He says I need to reburn the entire OS and erase everything in the SSD including the music.  I have 1 TB of music though all are backed up. He said I can backup via network and then reload the music. I think I will just burn it onto an optane drive as everyone is praising that. The M2 drive us much  faster and supposedly more quiet. It has been a pain to upgrade to V3. Problem with Euphony is it can be a bit buggy. But good thing the support in general is very good to excellent. The development is also quite progressive,  

34 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

He fixed it remotely but did tell me to press "Safe fs to disk" before rebooting and that should reboot back to non-ramroot. I have not tried that yet. I am still doing non-RAMroot. I am not sure if my system the Ramroot would work fine. It was not sounding good yesterday when I play DXD, which I think is because of its large memory.. It occupies 28% of memory with DXD and with 24/96 about 22%. I have 8 GB. Maybe I need to burn in my RAM. It has always been only 5% used. So I suspect RAMroot may not work well for large files. However, I would later increase my RAM to 16 GB using the acclaimed Apacer ECC RAM. I think then RAM quality becomes very important running RAMroot.  It may also be I have not upgraded my Euphony V3 properly. Somehow I am still stuck with parts of V2 config, It is weird. He says I need to reburn the entire OS and erase everything in the SSD including the music.  I have 1 TB of music though all are backed up. He said I can backup via network and then reload the music. I think I will just burn it onto an optane drive as everyone is praising that. The M2 drive us much  faster and supposedly more quiet. It has been a pain to upgrade to V3. Problem with Euphony is it can be a bit buggy. But good thing the support in general is very good to excellent. The development is also quite progressive,  

I have been using V3 for quite a while and have not had any issues like you are describing.   I never had V2!.

Many of us are using the Optane devices that are 32GB.  I do not know of others trying the larger ones to even comment on them.  I found that any SSD even the NVME variety do not sound as good to me.    I do not know what your machine is but ECC RAM  will not go in a lot of machines!   I think that the testing of the Apacer RAM was NON-ECC, but I have not been following it closely.  I have the ECC variant on order, we will see if it actually works on my motherboard!

I would not make any assumptions about file size  and sound quality.  I am less than enamored with keeping music on theses servers to try and keep the system properly up to date, backed-up, etc..

*** It really sounds to me like you need a fresh start.  I think your install is broken.  Sorry.

Bob

2 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I have been using V3 for quite a while and have not had any issues like you are describing.   I never had V2!.

Many of us are using the Optane devices that are 32GB.  I do not know of others trying the larger ones to even comment on them.  I found that any SSD even the NVME variety do not sound as good to me.    I do not know what your machine is but ECC RAM  will not go in a lot of machines!   I think that the testing of the Apacer RAM was NON-ECC, but I have not been following it closely.  I have the ECC variant on order, we will see if it actually works on my motherboard!

I would not make any assumptions about file size  and sound quality.  I am less than enamored with keeping music on theses servers to try and keep the system properly up to date, backed-up, etc..

*** It really sounds to me like you need a fresh start.  I think your install is broken.  Sorry.

Bob

I am thinking of doing Octane 64GB, so I will have a bit more cache space.  I have Ryzen so hopefully it should work on ECC RAM! I am in same shoes as you, got the ECC on the group order. What is your MB again ? I have the x370 

Looks like RAMroot is behaving better now, and sounding quite nice, likely better than regular, but I did do something to my transformers/conditioners that may have helped.Will see how it goes.I have not done A/B as I am afraid I will screw up again with not able to go back to regular non RAM. 

Hi, anyone here having issues with Ramroot & Roon?

I setup Roon using my backup, all up & running with Ramroot disabled. I enable Ramroot & tick box copy to.... reboot. Load Roon & all settings have gone. I need to restore from backup again. So effectively each time I come in/out of Ramroot, Roon requires setup again. 

???

3 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Hi, anyone here having issues with Ramroot & Roon?

I setup Roon using my backup, all up & running with Ramroot disabled. I enable Ramroot & tick box copy to.... reboot. Load Roon & all settings have gone. I need to restore from backup again. So effectively each time I come in/out of Ramroot, Roon requires setup again. 

???

Euphony support 'ramroot'

On 10/17/2019 at 3:32 PM, ASRMichael said:

Hi 

Looking for a bit of help, finally purchased Euphony license, I already had end point license running my NAA. 

Euphony doesn't find my Thecus NAS. It's running SMB server. Works no issues with AL, & Roon, but not Euphony. I must be doing something wrong. address smb://192.168.1.100/Music. 

I type into server box 192.168.1.100 & Music in path box. is there a certain way to enter the info?

when I click browse it doesn’t find anything. 

I’m running from usb drive, no ssd’s installed

Thanks in advance

FWIW I was playing around with my Synology NAS and Euphony yesterday, all worked fine until I disabled SMB1, at which point Euphony could no longer see the NAS. And in Windows 10 the shared Music directory while never visible could be accessed by IP address or computername-path after I enabled SMB1

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I downloaded the latest version of Euphony and restarted the experiments. I set it up as I had done before and added the suggestions colleagues left on the topic. Improved, but aspects that don't relate to what I wrote that Windows is superior. That is, it continued to play incorrectly from the timbre point of view, without the same dynamics and articulation of Windows and with a remarkable poverty in textures and harmonics. With the monitor connected to the computers, I tried everything without success. It was the last time I tried a Linux.

25 minutes ago, FelipeRolim said:

I downloaded the latest version of Euphony and restarted the experiments. I set it up as I had done before and added the suggestions colleagues left on the topic. Improved, but aspects that do not relate to what I wrote that Windows is superior. That is, it continued to play incorrectly from the timbre point of view, without the same dynamics and articulation of Windows and with a remarkable poverty in textures and harmonics. With the monitor connected to the computers, I tried everything without success. It was the last time I tried a Linux.

I too find Euphony Stylus' timing and dynamics to be off in my system thus I use Euphony RoonCore (NUC directly connected to DAC). Can you try and let us know if switching to Roon makes a noticeable improvement in timing and dynamics.

16 minutes ago, FelipeRolim said:

I downloaded the latest version of Euphony and restarted the experiments. I set it up as I had done before and added the suggestions colleagues left on the topic. Improved, but aspects that don't relate to what I wrote that Windows is superior. That is, it continued to play incorrectly from the timbre point of view, without the same dynamics and articulation of Windows and with a remarkable poverty in textures and harmonics. With the monitor connected to the computers, I tried everything without success. It was the last time I tried a Linux.

Would you please mention which components you use to get such wonderful audio from Windows? Thank you.

49 minutes ago, FelipeRolim said:

Sorry, remind me again, are you doing euphony RamBoot from USB stick ?  How do you run windows again? Is it inside a  M2 drive or other drive ? 

On 10/27/2019 at 8:08 PM, Chopin75 said:

Sorry, remind me again, are you doing euphony RamBoot from USB stick ?  How do you run windows again? Is it inside a  M2 drive or other drive ? 

13 minutes ago, aangen said:

I agree 100%. I would ask Bob to kindly allow it.

I am interested in the system design.  I have never been able to get windows to sound right to me.  The more we know the better.

9 hours ago, bobfa said:

I am interested in the system design.  I have never been able to get windows to sound right to me.  The more we know the better.

This Linux-Windows thing tends to become segregational.

I know the psychological trap of tending to like and justify the system you built with so many effort and cost. The fact that one invested so much in it biasses us into liking the result. Alas it is impossible to objectivate this, also because any character differences between Windows and Linux SQ-wise are a question of taste. I know as I spent a lot of time with both systems, trying almost everything. I ended up with Linux, even after initial disappointments. Now very happy.

I realise that I am not exempt from bias. Sometimes I think I like Linux more because I can relax more, because the options for tweaking are less manifold, and less costly than for Windows. This relaxation influences the subjective appreciation of the sound.

With the increasing complexity of the systems we build, real comparisons become harder and harder. Of course it is attractive to reduce things by saying that one operating system sounds better than another, but I am afraid that is just another welcome simplification, allowing the mind to relax a bit further as it does not have to try everything in two OS'es, which would be mind-boggling.

audio system