IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

5 hours ago, flkin said:

Does anyone know if there is anyway the Euphony OS can be installed into an internal SSD drive (from the USB drive) that already contains music files without deleting the music files?

Euphony help indicates you need a new internal drive for the installation which suggests that all data on the drive would be deleted.

The short answer is no, you cannot. 

Theoretically, if your SSD is partitioned in a certain way (very unlikely), it might be possible to do with some Linux commands, but you would be better off moving your music or getting a smaller drive dedicated to Euphony. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

Curious if anyone else is noting this with latest RAM loaded  version of Euphony where all can be loaded in RAM? Using buffer and cache options with RAM load,

I've been able to eliminate an edgy discordant  overtone on CD quality choral passages with external SSD/SDXC media direct attached to server, NAS and direct attached media now sound pretty much the same vs different when run off USB or Optane disk.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

After I first downloaded the 10 version I noted that one could not play an album by clicking on the arrow in the center of the track labelled "click to play album". It only played that single track. I contacted Euphony support and they immediately corrected the problem, and soon thereafter issued the 12 update.

I am not computer-sophisticated.

What exactly is "ramroot"? If I enable ramroot in version 12, what will it actually do and do I have to then select certain settings or is the process automatic?

Jeff.

Hi Guys, I've been following this thread and decided to try out Euphony. I downloaded the trial and installed it on a spare PC. It sounded really good so I decided to get a 7i7DNFE and I purchased a Euphony license. So, on my first install attempt for the new NUC I downloaded Euphony trial and the write to USB failed at around 80%.  I tried again on the same stick and it failed again. The installer actually killed my Sandisk  USB stick(now it's read only) so I had to use another stick - same thing - another dead stick. Finally it worked on the 3rd stick. What I didn't realize is that when the Euphony install program failed and I tried again it was actually writing to my internal drives!!! While I was trying to download Euphony I decided to turn on my NAS and 20TB ESata box(attached to Win10 machine used to download Euphony) to copy some music to the NAS. I then realized my 1TB internal got repartitioned with 4 Linux partitions - I guess on the 2nd or 3rd download/write attempt failure the install program grabbed my ESATA storage and killed it. Unfortunately I was using Win10 software RAID0  -drive #3 of a total of four drives got Linux partitioned rendering the array useless. The Euphony install program only showed my Sandisk USB stick during the write - it NEVER showed the other mentioned drives but it sure did a number on them. Fortunately I had the majority of 35000 albums backed up but lost about 5000... and dozens of hours of recovery. Euphony support wasn't much help with this and said it was impossible that it happened using their installer... 

So today as my library was slowly restoring I decided to try the NUC wired vs wireless. I had it set to wireless for about a day and it worked great. Today I tried wired and then tried going back to wireless. Well when I went wireless Euphony all of the sudden showed that it was unregistered/over trial and showed someone else's info that lives in China. What??? I was super frustrated at this point. I write to Euphony about the issue and am told I need to choose what I want for my already paid for license - wired or wireless. I was totally unaware I would have to make a choice. Has this come up for anyone else?? Why would I need to chose an unsupported option when I paid $300. Makes no sense to me. Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

Tony

55 minutes ago, mantis07 said:

Hi Guys, I've been following this thread and decided to try out Euphony. I downloaded the trial and installed it on a spare PC. It sounded really good so I decided to get a 7i7DNFE and I purchased a Euphony license. So, on my first install attempt for the new NUC I downloaded Euphony trial and the write to USB failed at around 80%.  I tried again on the same stick and it failed again. The installer actually killed my Sandisk  USB stick(now it's read only) so I had to use another stick - same thing - another dead stick. Finally it worked on the 3rd stick. What I didn't realize is that when the Euphony install program failed and I tried again it was actually writing to my internal drives!!! While I was trying to download Euphony I decided to turn on my NAS and 20TB ESata box(attached to Win10 machine used to download Euphony) to copy some music to the NAS. I then realized my 1TB internal got repartitioned with 4 Linux partitions - I guess on the 2nd or 3rd download/write attempt failure the install program grabbed my ESATA storage and killed it. Unfortunately I was using Win10 software RAID0  -drive #3 of a total of four drives got Linux partitioned rendering the array useless. The Euphony install program only showed my Sandisk USB stick during the write - it NEVER showed the other mentioned drives but it sure did a number on them. Fortunately I had the majority of 35000 albums backed up but lost about 5000... and dozens of hours of recovery. Euphony support wasn't much help with this and said it was impossible that it happened using their installer... 

So today as my library was slowly restoring I decided to try the NUC wired vs wireless. I had it set to wireless for about a day and it worked great. Today I tried wired and then tried going back to wireless. Well when I went wireless Euphony all of the sudden showed that it was unregistered/over trial and showed someone else's info that lives in China. What??? I was super frustrated at this point. I write to Euphony about the issue and am told I need to choose what I want for my already paid for license - wired or wireless. I was totally unaware I would have to make a choice. Has this come up for anyone else?? Why would I need to chose an unsupported option when I paid $300. Makes no sense to me. Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

Tony

Euphony is licensed by email address and hardware fingerprint. Apparently you purchased your license with wireless disabled ( as I did) and enabling wifi afterwards changed

your hardware fingerprint(new  mobo HW found). You should be able to change your license to the newer fingerprint with both ethernet and wifi enabled. if not thats their

registration defect and we may all need to pitch in on a dissatisfied  owner support ticket campaign...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, mantis07 said:

Thanks

Tony

The Euphony license is based on the hardware address (i.e. MAC address) of the NIC you are using. As a licence owner you can change it to between computers - so in your case it can be based on your WiFi or NIC. Just send them a support ticket with the registration challenge, and  they can deactivate the old license and activate a new one. I guess for some reason they cannot support both in a single license... must be some kind of limitation of their licensing model. Also, WiFi is part of the Expert settings, and as such, it is not officially supported. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

In my opinion, their licensing model needs to be updated to something more manageable than what's being experienced by this community.  I was also about to pull the trigger and purchase a license for Euphony/Stylus, and now I'm going to continue with the trial a bit longer until that gets worked out.  I had a similar experience with another product, whereby every update to an operating system rendered it as an entirely different machine to the software application from a licensing standpoint.  That was unacceptable.  As a software developer myself, I know that it was a self imposed limitation on their part that they needed to re-address, and finally did.

10 hours ago, Jeff Mann said:

After I first downloaded the 10 version I noted that one could not play an album by clicking on the arrow in the center of the track labelled "click to play album". It only played that single track. I contacted Euphony support and they immediately corrected the problem, and soon thereafter issued the 12 update.

I am not computer-sophisticated.

What exactly is "ramroot"? If I enable ramroot in version 12, what will it actually do and do I have to then select certain settings or is the process automatic?

Jeff.

Hi Jeff, 

You need to enable ramroot (button in expert settings) and reboot Euphony (green button top right). You may hear or hear not the difference in sound. If you decide to keep ramroot enabled and loaded you will need to disable ramroot before updating or making system-wide changes in Euphony. Happy listening!

2 hours ago, mantis07 said:

Thanks

Tony

I had a problem with SanDisk USB stick and Euphony. After opening a ticket and communicating with Željko it was resolved. 

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Hi Jeff, 

You need to enable ramroot (button in expert settings) and reboot Euphony (green button top right). You may hear or hear not the difference in sound. If you decide to keep ramroot enabled and loaded you will need to disable ramroot before updating or making system-wide changes in Euphony. Happy listening!

I have the Euphony PTS unit and when I hover my mouse over the "enable ramroot" button, it states that one will not be able to access one's Euphony drive if ramroot is enabled. Does that mean that I will not be able to access "My Music" where I have my downloaded local music files located?

I still do not know what ramroot really is and why it should influence the sound quality of any reproduced music. By the way, my headphone-based audio system is as follows -: Euphony PTS music server => Matrix X-SPDIF convertor => Wyred-4-Sound 2v2se 10th Anniversary DAC => Niimbus US4+ headphone amplifier => HiFiMan Susvara headphones.

Jeff.

19 hours ago, davide256 said:

Curious if anyone else is noting this with latest RAM loaded  version of Euphony where all can be loaded in RAM? Using buffer and cache options with RAM load,

I've been able to eliminate an edgy discordant  overtone on CD quality choral passages with external SSD/SDXC media direct attached to server, NAS and direct attached media now sound pretty much the same vs different when run off USB or Optane disk.

I think this is great news so far....

If you do not mind, how much RAM are you using in the Euphony PC?

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been playing with the trial version the past couple of weekends. USB Stick into a 2012 tweaked Mac Mini.

Using Roon & Qobuz, I have not tried any Music Files yet as they are on a couple of FireWire Hard Drives connected to the Mini, not sure they are accessible. I also use HQPlayer Desktop 4 but have not been able to get audio via the trial embedded version in Euphony. Not sure what I am missing, using a Sonore Optical Module and Optical Rendu as my end point. No problem with Roon, listening to Qobuz, I do like how it sounds.

I would like to be able to listen via HQP before I make a decision. 

The configuration of HQP in Euphony sees the oRendu and my Bryston BDA-3 Dac but no sound.

Not sure what the problem is. I only have 16 days left on my trial.....

Any thoughts as to what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

1 hour ago, Jeff Mann said:

I have the Euphony PTS unit and when I hover my mouse over the "enable ramroot" button, it states that one will not be able to access one's Euphony drive if ramroot is enabled. Does that mean that I will not be able to access "My Music" where I have my downloaded local music files located?

I still do not know what ramroot really is and why it should influence the sound quality of any reproduced music. By the way, my headphone-based audio system is as follows -: Euphony PTS music server => Matrix X-SPDIF convertor => Wyred-4-Sound 2v2se 10th Anniversary DAC => Niimbus US4+ headphone amplifier => HiFiMan Susvara headphones.

Jeff.

I am using Euphony endpoint image only and in my case enabling ramroot doesn't interfere with music files on a server side. As I understand enabling ramroot moves Euphony from an usb stick to RAM memory of computer. One can remove a stick after ramroot loaded.

3 hours ago, Jeff Mann said:

Jeff.

RAM root  loads the needed OS  and (when enabled) configuration files to RAM so that no disk access is required  for Euphony program to run.  For whatever reason

Euphony states you can't access the My Music directory in RAM root mode.

If you enable the buffer option it will move your track completely to RAM before playback; drive activity during playback degrades good audio.

Enabling also the cache option ( located on boot drive) is useful  if you have a very fast boot drive (Optane like solution) or  slow external media.

Data will be buffered faster.

Think media disk access= electrical noise pollution of the NUC.

I  recommend using an external media drive and USB boot to RAM root with buffer enabled. That should allow cleanest NUC  environment. I have

an Optane SSD as boot drive  but  found  it and the cache option  "nice to haves" vs the "must have" options of RAM root and buffer.

The better your power supply, the better your end result.

Note that music db synch can be a little funky with Euphony; as in tell it your drives, then go have a cup of coffee... should have all your media found

if you allow several minutes.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

15 hours ago, davide256 said:

Euphony is licensed by email address and hardware fingerprint. Apparently you purchased your license with wireless disabled ( as I did) and enabling wifi afterwards changed

your hardware fingerprint(new  mobo HW found). You should be able to change your license to the newer fingerprint with both ethernet and wifi enabled. if not thats their

registration defect and we may all need to pitch in on a dissatisfied  owner support ticket campaign...

So, what I figured out was that the unregistered problem started after I disabled the NUC ethernet. When I first tried wireless I still had the ethernet port enabled. Once I enabled it the unregistered went away and wireless worked but now it will not update my Roon library. Roon sees my NAS but newly added music doesn't get added even with a forced rescan. Right now I have it hooked up via ethernet and the library is updating slowly but Qobuz keeps saying I have no network connection. Everytime I turn on or restart Euphony I have to wait 5 min. for Roon to connect. I never had these problems just running Roon on my I7 6700k desktop. I feel like throwing it all out the window and going for a bike ride. Still no idea from Euphony as to why my library got written with lInux partitions or why Roon wireless will not update my Roon library.  Unfortunately I don’t think this is going to work for me. The program sounds good but I don’t need any more grey hairs and have only that and about 6000 missing albums to show for it. I’ve been at computer audio since early on and never experienced this situation. I’m deleting the program and asking for refund. The trial worked OK but everything went downhill after the purchase....

9 hours ago, davide256 said:

RAM root  loads the needed OS  and (when enabled) configuration files to RAM so that no disk access is required  for Euphony program to run.  For whatever reason

Euphony states you can't access the My Music directory in RAM root mode.

If you enable the buffer option it will move your track completely to RAM before playback; drive activity during playback degrades good audio.

Enabling also the cache option ( located on boot drive) is useful  if you have a very fast boot drive (Optane like solution) or  slow external media.

Data will be buffered faster.

Think media disk access= electrical noise pollution of the NUC.

I  recommend using an external media drive and USB boot to RAM root with buffer enabled. That should allow cleanest NUC  environment. I have

an Optane SSD as boot drive  but  found  it and the cache option  "nice to haves" vs the "must have" options of RAM root and buffer.

The better your power supply, the better your end result.

Note that music db synch can be a little funky with Euphony; as in tell it your drives, then go have a cup of coffee... should have all your media found

if you allow several minutes.

Hello David,

I have RamRoot enabled but can't understand what do you mean buy "activate "Buffer & Cache", i only can find activate RamRoot...what am i missing here ?

Thanks !!

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

There is now a knowledge base article about ramroot, which gives much more information than any of us could provide.

You can get to the knowledge database from the Support link in the Euphony app, or directly from the link below (which will require a login if you're not already logged in to their support site):

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Indeed. To reiterate - only use the "Copy app data to RAM" flag for the specific case where:

1. you're booting off ejectable media like USB stick, AND
  2. you're running endpoint services like Roon Bridge, StylusEP, Squeezelite, or NAA.

Using this flag for running Roon Server or Stylus is not something I'd recommend, due to the crippled functionality.

Avoid the "Copy app data to RAM" option like the plague if you're booting off an internal drive, like Optane or other SSD. These devices can't be ejected anyway, so the whole point of this option is moot.

So if one was to click too quality and you evoked the plague upon yourself what has one to do to cast the demon out again? 😁

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

19 minutes ago, RickyV said:

So if one was to click too quality and you evoked the plague upon yourself what has one to do to cast the demon out again? 😁

Well, if you haven’t made any changes, or if you haven’t saved changes, just disable ramroot, and reboot to normal mode.

That should be fine, unless there are some gotcha corner cases I’m not aware of.

Mainly this is a reminder to not use expert settings casually, without taking appropriate care to understand what the risks and side effects are.