IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

Additional update after playing many music files.  While DSD 256 sounds better, the lower resolution files (both PCM and DSD 64, 128) sound worse with RAM root.  After turning off RAM root and reboot the system, I am getting back what I used to hear from previous version.

With RAM root, Euphony occasionally has problems with not displaying album artwork and sometimes not responding to folder/track changes.

Music server builder

9 hours ago, misterspense said:

It was also once stated that the prime reason for using Optane was that the latency was comparable with RAM (and the noise comparable with USB). 

First, with regard to your question above. Optane's 3-D X-Point design may be faster than traditional SSD NAND, but it is still nowhere as fast as DRAM. For reference, see this table from Intel:

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.50.34 AM.png

Source: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/21/storage_approaches_memory_speed_with_xpoint_and_storageclass_memory/

For this workload shown (not specified) Optane access is 35x slower than DRAM. Note that SSD is much slower - "...150 times slower than DRAM for writes and 600 times slower for reads." Obviously the exact numbers will vary with workload and different brands, but the basic point is clear - Optane's latency is still much higher than DRAM, while much lower than NAND SSD.

But all that said, this experiment being discussed here isn't related to the speed of Optane. It's to try ramroot mode on Euphony, just like it's been used on AudioLinux for all this while. Plenty of users are using ramroot on AL, while using Optane as their persistent storage. They still hear improved SQ.

The question being posed here, and what people testing the prototype are trying to determine with their ears is - is the same true with Euphony OS?

My ears tell me - yes.

For those testing with Stylus, one other experiment to try is to see if caching - via the "Use Cache" flag makes a sonic difference when in ramroot mode.

I was unclear about how caching works, so got some more insight from Željko. Here are the salient points:

• the cache is maintained in the /data/Music/E_CACHE directory
    • NOTE: this directory is NOT loaded into RAM in ramroot mode, because it is on a separate disk partition
  • on first play of a file, the stream is loaded from the original location, while in the background, the file is copied into the cache
  • subsequent plays load from the copy in the cache
  • The cache is allowed to grow until the free space in the /data partition falls below a threshold of some N GB. 
  • After that any new additions to cache result in evictions using a standard LRU policy.

3 hours ago, bodiebill said:

I was considering to put an Optane M.2 drive in the Euphony endpoint PC, but is this a good idea when using ramroot? After all the PC can then run fully diskless when the usb stick is removed...

Do you still have your GentooPlayer USB stick? I had abandoned the NUC-as-endpoint-thing when I bought the Matrix Element H card for my server (Euphony) but then because I am still not really convinced of this card I have reactivated my NUC7CJYH (not possible to put an m.2 drive there) one-two weeks ago as NAA (Audiolinux ramroot) and now I use it as NAA with Euphony (trial) root loaded to RAM. 

This dual pc setup seemed to sound better to my ears already with AL and now with Euphony and activated Networkaudio, too.

I guess I will have to buy a NUC7i7DNBE.

Before making a final conclusion about using AL or Euphony with the NUC as endpoint I would like to try GentooPlayer again but run out of USB sticks at the moment. From my memory GentooPlayer gave me the most listening pleasure compared to AL or Jussi's NAA image. Maybe because of Alsa 1.0.29?

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

39 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

Do you still have your GentooPlayer USB stick? I had abandoned the NUC-as-endpoint-thing when I bought the Matrix Element H card for my server (Euphony) but then because I am still not really convinced of this card I have reactivated my NUC7CJYH (not possible to put an m.2 drive there) one-two weeks ago as NAA (Audiolinux ramroot) and now I use it as NAA with Euphony (trial) root loaded to RAM. 

This dual pc setup seemed to sound better to my ears already with AL and now with Euphony and activated Networkaudio, too.

I guess I will have to buy a NUC7i7DNBE.

Before making a final conclusion about using AL or Euphony with the NUC as endpoint I would like to try GentooPlayer again but run out of USB sticks at the moment. From my memory GentooPlayer gave me the most listening pleasure compared to AL or Jussi's NAA image. Maybe because of Alsa 1.0.29?

Yes I still have my GentooPlayer stick, now with the latest version which has alsa 1.1.8. This new alsa version sounds really good and I'd see no need anymore to go back to 1.0.29. I very much like the sound of GentooPlayer, but I find the added richness of Euphony really tempting. The question is whether it is worth the cost, but that's why it is good to have some time left on the Euphony trial.

Familiarity with the sound signatures is more important than impressions from a quick A/B comparison. What impresses in the short run could irritate in the long run. And what seems boring in the short run could become addictive in the long run. So I take my time.

One practical advantage of GentooPlayer is that it loads its ramsystem very fast, without rebooting. Is this not possible in ArchLinux?

Still in doubt whether to use an Optane M.2 drive (which is possible in my Supermicro board).

And to finish with a confession: I sometimes dread to be influenced by extra-musical things, such as the beautiful yellow color of the Audiolinux screen, the euphonic name 'Euphony', or its smooth visual design. Could these influence my perception of the sound?

audio system

13 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Yes I still have my GentooPlayer stick, now with the latest version which has the alsa 1.1.8. This new alsa version sounds really good and I'd see no need anymore to go back to 1.0.29. I very much like the sound of GentooPlayer, but I find the added richness of Euphony really tempting. The question is whether it is worth the cost, but that's why it is good to have some time left on the Euphony trial.

I see. I am lazy a bit this summer. I will give GentooPlayer another try in September after my vacation. The good thing about the cost is the Euphony Endpoint License. 

24 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Familiarity with the sound signatures is more important than impressions from a quick A/B comparison. What impresses in the short run could irritate in the long run. And what seems boring in the short run could become addictive in the long run. So I take my time.

Same here. 

25 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

One practical advantage of GentooPlayer is that it loads its ramsystem very fast, without rebooting. Is this not possible in ArchLinux?

That's really a plus point. Audiolinux takes ages to load into RAM. Euphony seems to be faster but no comparison to GentooPlayer or Jussi's NAA image. 

27 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Still in doubt whether to use an Optane M.2 drive (which is possible in my Supermicro board).

I have two other 32GB Optane sticks here for the server. One is reserved for Audiolinux and one for Windows Server 2019. With my current ASRock board I can swap them quick. With my former Gigabyte H110N the m.2 slot was on the bottom of the board.

I think I will remain using USB sticks for the endpoint. 

32 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

And to finish with a confession: I sometimes dread to be influenced by extra-musical things, such as the beautiful yellow color of the Audiolinux screen, the euphonic name 'Euphony', or its smooth visual design. Could these influence my perception of the sound?

Haha, I feel (and so Euphony's design) reminded of Daphile and oops: I already forgot about the yellow color of AL. I was using more the headless version. I like that you can open the Euphony side with whatever you want: tablet, smartphone... I appreciate this kind of comfort. Not sure about the influencing thing.. lol

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

[...]

But, everything is influenced by something. Even a lack of influence is an influence of a kind.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I also tried to compare SQ in ramroot with "Use cache" enabled vs. disabled. This only applies to Stylus, as Roon Core does not interact with the cache. Also, when comparing, it's important to check that you are indeed listening to the cached version

Do you know if LMS+StylusEP interact with cache?

I am having problem with Euphony registration (not trial but proper license).  Even though my internet connection is good, Euphony keeps giving warning message about no internet connection, hence registration cannot work.  Anyone else seeing this problem?  I am using Intel NUC7i5BNH with wired LAN connection.  I was trying to reinstall the RAMroot vs official release for comparison.

Music server builder

5 hours ago, Anwar said:

I am having problem with Euphony registration (not trial but proper license).  Even though my internet connection is good, Euphony keeps giving warning message about no internet connection, hence registration cannot work.  Anyone else seeing this problem?  I am using Intel NUC7i5BNH with wired LAN connection.  I was trying to reinstall the RAMroot vs official release for comparison.

To problem with proper license (for endpoint) in my case, works in a second. 

16 hours ago, Anwar said:

Yes i have this issue with the older V2 but V3 trial I have not seen that happening, send Euphony a ticket.

Hi All,

I finally managed to get Euphony running on my NUC7PJYH after using AL for some months.

Unfortunately I can only run it in Squeezelite mode as my Uptone LPS 1.2 is not powerful enough to power Stylus with a USB drive attached.

Still sounds good with Macmini running AL LMS as server.

Have 8GB of RAM in the NUC and have setup ram buffers as suggested previously on pg. 9 my Rajiv.

Can someone help me setup CPU isolation for the NUC which has 4 cores.

Thanks in advance

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

2 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi All,

I finally managed to get Euphony running on my NUC7PJYH after using AL for some months.

Unfortunately I can only run it in Squeezelite mode as my Uptone LPS 1.2 is not powerful enough to power Stylus with a USB drive attached.

Still sounds good with Macmini running AL LMS as server.

Have 8GB of RAM in the NUC and have setup ram buffers as suggested previously on pg. 9 my Rajiv.

With LMS on the Mini, you should be able to run StylusEP on the NUC instead of SqueezeLite, and I find StylusEP to sound better. It also presents as a Squeezebox, just like SqueezeLite.

I also seem to remember that Željko implemented a distributed mode in Stylus. If so, you can also try running Stylus on Euphony on you Mini, and then StylusEP on your NUC. This would be better sounding than LMS, in my experience.

See what works and what you think.

2 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Can someone help me setup CPU isolation for the NUC which has 4 cores.

Are you running with hyperthreading enabled or disabled? Either way, without entering any values, first just hit Apply next to the CPU isolation field in Expert Settings. In the resulting screen, cut and paste the output here. Based on that, I can suggest an isolation setting to try.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I also seem to remember that Željko implemented a distributed mode in Stylus. If so, you can also try running Stylus on Euphony on you Mini, and then StylusEP on your NUC. This would be better sounding than LMS, in my experience.

Hmm..  distributed mode? I have tried this (Stylus on the server and StylusEP on the NUC endpoint) but Stylus doesn't "see" the StylusEP. Stylus must support the Squeezebox protocol for this mode I guess? What does work is Stylus plus HQPlayer on the server and Networkaudio activated on the NUC. And it sounds to my ears better than standalone. I have the cheap NUC7CJYH only with the original ps. What will happen if I buy a NUC7i7DNBE (and a Keces P8)? I wonder.