IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

On 4/29/2020 at 11:16 PM, Jud said:

Apple Music, formerly iTunes, has its own ideas about how to organize your music. Back when I was using it, I would wind up with half a Beatles album under The Beatles, and half in the Compilations folder - and these were original Beatles albums, not greatest hits or collections of any kind. I organize my own music now, very simply, alphabetically by artist name (though some classical is by composer name), and I'm quite happy.

True, but ITunes, Apple Music now, has been improved over the years. However, It's still far from perfect, but I didn’t find anything better yet. My preference is to move to Audirvana one day, but I’m so used to Apple Music and Audirvana is still not perfect too. So, I hope, Audirvana, version 4, will be the ultimate player for me. If possible with Internet Radio. But let’s start with a decent manual...

Just received my "new" Mac Mini, and it works like a charm with A3.5+. Thanks for the convincing. 🙂 Really nice to both be able to use my phone as a remote but also screen share if I'm using my computer. Now I just need to figure out whether I should stick with optical mini or bother buying a USB to coax converter (using a DAC without USB input).

Congrats on the new Mini. Depending on what your overall goals and budget are, you may consider running your USB through the Matrix X-SPDIF2. There is a huge thread over at the PS Audio forum on settings, cables, power supplies around this device. I use one and have been very happy with the results. 

Pretty good USB DACs are inexpensive these days.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 hours ago, Jud said:

Pretty good USB DACs are inexpensive these days.

I use a Pioneer PD70AE as a DAC, which is more than good enough for me. It doesn't have USB in though. They added USB to the PD50AE but removed the balanced outputs sadly, so I went with the PD70 instead.

5 hours ago, djwalter2000 said:

Congrats on the new Mini. Depending on what your overall goals and budget are, you may consider running your USB through the Matrix X-SPDIF2. There is a huge thread over at the PS Audio forum on settings, cables, power supplies around this device. I use one and have been very happy with the results. 

Thanks! Will look into the Matrix and read the very long thread on PS Audio. 🙂

Hello all I’m new to this topic and could use a little rookie help.  I’m looking for streamer in the $500 range that I can use with audivana.  Is there a preferred unit? 

I run an older Mac now with long interconnects to my dac across the room.   I’d like to eliminate the wires and if possible not have to use the cpu.  Maybe running something on an iPad.  This may be “AV remote” but I’m not sure,   

I’d also like to have an usb out for my usb only dac, and a usb in to play some stored files.    

The  project stream box appears to check these boxes, but perusing this thread I’ve seen some users have issues with it and AV. 

Any thoughts maybe a used Mac mini ? 

thanks in advance for any non DIY options. 

thanks 

@Jud @AudioDoctor @RunHomeSlow @damien78and ANYONE ELSE : I have version 3.5.33 never have much problem(s) with this version or any versions that weren't fixed by you guys or Damien.

That said yesterday or day before all of a sudden I get a box the SysOptimizer is in error-- I have always used 'EXTREME' priority and always have all the 'disable' circles enabled.I personally don't detect any audio playback deficiencies SO does that error message really mean anything and if so any idea how to correct it easily? My macOS is El Capitan and have no desire to upgrade.

NOW-- I just have received a request to upgrade to version 3.5.34 is it safe to do or will I suddenly have problems like I had with ROON's latest upgrade that took days to resolve(with me embarrassing myself by 'rude' comments to their members and support team-mainly because they are nothing like @damien78 and his wonderful product).

thanks and hope all is well and safe with y'all--I haven't seen any patients since March 9th just doing telemedicine and LOVING IT!

bobbmd

You can try resseting it...

Close Audirvana.

Go to the Main Library Folder… PrivilegedHelperTools folder…
Trash All the files in that folder from Audirvana (that folder install SysOptimizer)

Go to the Main Library Folder… LaunchDaemons Folder…
Trash All the files in that folder from Audirvana (SystemOptimizer and prefs files)

Restart Mac, Restart Audirvana, Play a song, will ask to reinstall SysOpt.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

1 hour ago, RunHomeSlow said:

You can try resseting it...

[clip]

Restart Mac, Restart Audirvana, Play a song, will ask to reinstall SysOpt.

Less extreme might just be a reboot. I don't know how you use Audirvana, but mine is on a dedicated computer, and I normally never turn it off. Every so often I get the SysOpt error message. I just restart the computer, and it clears for another month or so.

9 minutes ago, bnbayer said:

Less extreme might just be a reboot. I don't know how you use Audirvana, but mine is on a dedicated computer, and I normally never turn it off. Every so often I get the SysOpt error message. I just restart the computer, and it clears for another month or so.

Extreme!  :)  My MacMini is only for Audirvana, no screen. I don't have that message, never. If it happens to me i'll do what i wrote to get ride of it... no extreme measures, take two minutes to remove the prefs and to reboot.

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

And i close my MacMini every night... push a button the next morning, Audirvana in the login item...

For what its worth, I used to get the SysOpt error often, until I retired my 2011 iMac 27 with a damage disk and replaced it with a new version of same. Problem has not occurred since.  My knowledge of the inner workings of computers does not allow me to explain, but I suspect it was because the new computer's hard drive was not damaged and the new computer had much greater speed, but these are guesses. Hope it helps.

iMac 27" with local music files > Audirvana Studio > Router/ Modem> etherRegan )JS-2 LPS > Sablon > 2nd etherRegan (LPS 1.2))>UltraRendu (LPS-1.2)> Schiit Yggy > Ayre K5 XE MP Preamp > Ayre v5 Amp > Aerial 10-T Speakers. PC's, SC's and  IC's Cerious Technology Matrix and Ghent DC cords. Gaia under components and speakers. 1 Topaz 1k Iso, BPT power center. Maestro wall plug, dedicated 20 amp run to equipment, second run to distant iMac/Router, BK Precision 1604 and 2nd Topaz.

Thanks to all that have replied so far. Have to agree with @bnbayer all that @RunHomeSlow suggested seems extreme for my limited patience and expertise especially if as I said I really hear no difference with SQ etc so I agree with @AudioDoctor but may try the reboot part as suggested. Now what about the second part does everyone else agree with @AudioDoctor that new upgrade is 'safe' and a good thing to do? Thanks again.

On 5/6/2020 at 7:52 PM, kbuzz said:

Hello all I’m new to this topic and could use a little rookie help.  I’m looking for streamer in the $500 range that I can use with audivana.  Is there a preferred unit? 

I run an older Mac now with long interconnects to my dac across the room.   I’d like to eliminate the wires and if possible not have to use the cpu.  Maybe running something on an iPad.  This may be “AV remote” but I’m not sure,   

I’d also like to have an usb out for my usb only dac, and a usb in to play some stored files.    

The  project stream box appears to check these boxes, but perusing this thread I’ve seen some users have issues with it and AV. 

Any thoughts maybe a used Mac mini ? 

thanks in advance for any non DIY options. 

thanks 

You can use a mac mini and it will be fine. Or if you have a TV with audio optical out, you can piggyback off of an Amazon Fire and it will carry the signal just fine using wireless. 

You can control it from Audirvana and listen up to 96K for all your music. I do this with a high end tube mono block system and it's very underrated and sadly not known. 

All it requires is that you keep the TV "on" and it will also project the album cover to it while the music signal goes from your computer via wireless to the Amazon Fire out to your input via tousling.

An Amazon Firestick goes for about $30. 

Can tell you the quality will be there. I upgraded my tube monoblocks recently and the quality of the upgrade is carried right along with it. (I'm listening right now as I type this.)

It's also nice to be able to manage volume control from Audirvana while streaming.

IMG_0487.JPG

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Any impressions regarding SQ of version 3.5.34 vs. 3.5.33 ?

Thanks

Matt

No difference in my opinion. Only in major updates I can note a change, not in the minor ones. 

4 hours ago, jos said:

No difference in my opinion. Only in major updates I can note a change, not in the minor ones. 

IMO, the .34 is slightly superior sounding, maybe a little bit snappier.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)