IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

On 5/8/2020 at 8:48 PM, kurb1980 said:

Do any of these settings matter if your using a streamer? Direct Mode, Exclusive Access, and or Integer Mode have any baring on streaming?  

I know Direct Mode doesn't. The others, sorry but I haven't thought about this for a long time and have forgotten. Exclusive Mode is easily checked, just try playing a sound from the computer while Audirvana is running on it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

17 hours ago, JoshM said:

Has anyone run into the issue of long album titles being truncated in 3.5? Is there any way around this (text wrapping, font size, etc.)? I have a lot of year/edition/mastering info in brackets after albums.

Practically all my titles, album and track, are truncated on the computer screen and the iOS remote. More in some views, less in others. The iPhone version of the iOS app doesn't even support landscape view, so you're pretty much in the dark. I'm not aware of any preferences or other user control. If I really need to see all the info, I open the file in Yate or iTunes. Not elegant.

3 hours ago, bnbayer said:

Has anyone run into the issue of long album titles being truncated in 3.5?

And a propos, I just wanted to play a particular Haydn quartet... Well, a lot of classical composers have written lots of pieces with the same descriptor (not really a name) except for the number, or publication number (opus). So I have pages and pages (or screens and screens) of Haydn quartets that look like this in Audirvana. How do I get the particular one I want? 

IMG_3134.jpg

40 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I don't know about the iOS app, but on Mac you can adjust the width of the columns by dragging them with the mouse from the edges. Move the mouse around near the title of the column and you'll see it change, click and drag until its the size you want.

For example.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 6.54.26 PM.png

It doesn't appear that there's an album title option for those columns, unfortunately. Here's the issue I'm running into:

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 2.24.53 PM.png

For albums that I have lots of specific release info after the title, the title is getting cut off. The problem is even worse when I have the metadata pane open, too. This wasn't a problem in 3.2 because the full title was displayed in the bottom pane, along with the tracklist. Now it seems like the only want to see a full album title is to hover over the image of the album in the bottom pane, which is far from ideal.

1 minute ago, RunHomeSlow said:

why not putting all that info in comment field and add that field in the window...

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 8.58.33 PM.png

Haha. That might be a better choice, but I've been doing it this way for too long to rename all of my files. 

More seriously, putting the year in the brackets title causes the releases to order by release date when ordering by title. In most cases, I can also see which edition I'm about to play from the main library pane without clicking through to the comments. 

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I don't know about the iOS app, but on Mac you can adjust the width of the columns by dragging them with the mouse from the edges. Move the mouse around near the title of the column and you'll see it change, click and drag until its the size you want.

Mostly I use the iOS app (and my example was albums, not tracks), but even on the computer this isn't a solution. The larger you make any one field, the less info fits in other fields. In classical music both the album and the artist info can be quite lengthy.

There IS an easy answer, of course: wrapping text. Unfortunately, Audirvana hasn't chosen to allow that option.

This is what Damien wrote on his support site...; any experience out there already?

I certainly want to do the hard work to solve this and want to thank Damien for making it possible.

I guess it was not an easy job 🛠

Hello Everyone,

In the last release of Audirvana (3.5.34) we made a fix about those duplicates.

First, you have to delete your Audirvana database to create a new one because the old database will still have the incorrect link stored. That said you will have to export your playlist in order to not loose them, I know It will be long for some of you but we don’t have a choice.

To delete your Audirvana database you need close Audirvana and search it in the Finder:

1.  Open its Go menu

2.  Pressing the option (or alt) key, and maintain it pressed. This reveals the Library command in this Go menu. 

3.  Click on this Library command

4.  In the Finder window that opens, navigate into Application Support, then Audirvana

5.  You’ll find there the file AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite

After delete it you will have to create a new one after starting Audirvana again. You then need to add synchronized folder in Audirvana settings.

In the end you will not have duplicates and if it’s the case again, feel free to share it on the forum.

7 hours ago, jos said:

This is what Damien wrote on his support site...; any experience out there already?

I certainly want to do the hard work to solve this and want to thank Damien for making it possible.

Hello Everyone,

First, you have to delete your Audirvana database to create a new one because the old database will still have the incorrect link stored. That said you will have to export your playlist in order to not loose them, I know It will be long for some of you but we don’t have a choice.

To delete your Audirvana database you need close Audirvana and search it in the Finder:

Open its Go menu

Pressing the option (or alt) key, and maintain it pressed. This reveals the Library command in this Go menu. 

Click on this Library command

In the Finder window that opens, navigate into Application Support, then Audirvana

You’ll find there the file AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite

After delete it you will have to create a new one after starting Audirvana again. You then need to add synchronized folder in Audirvana settings.

In the end you will not have duplicates and if it’s the case again, feel free to share it on the forum.

I did the hard work already and everything is working fine now. So far, so good!

On 5/12/2020 at 7:44 AM, jos said:

Hello Everyone,

Open its Go menu

Pressing the option (or alt) key, and maintain it pressed. This reveals the Library command in this Go menu. 

In the Finder window that opens, navigate into Application Support, then Audirvana

Glad to see that I am now able to import most of my exported playlists into my Redo database build.  However, I am still having the same issue - the import process appears to run then closes with no message/response, against my primary playlist.  Prior to the most recent release this would occurring against the full set.  I wish there was a way to actually see what is causing the problem over the screen simply closing with no result/response. 

I pay for Qobuz but just started a 30 day free with Tidal. If I search in Audirvana for a band, I only get Qobuz results…So, with both accounts active I am unable to search for music within Tidal, which makes Tidal absolutely useless.

Or am I doing something wrong?

5 hours ago, Screwdriver said:

I pay for Qobuz but just started a 30 day free with Tidal. If I search in Audirvana for a band, I only get Qobuz results…So, with both accounts active I am unable to search for music within Tidal, which makes Tidal absolutely useless.

Or am I doing something wrong?

When you search, Audirvana searches your local library, and all services you're connected to. You pick the one you want to look at by clicking the buttons outlined in red here:

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 9.02.26 PM.png

No electron left behind.

On 4/22/2020 at 10:53 AM, Martini said:

Mac Mini thread swing is good timing. I've got a new Mini i7 w/16gb ram on order. I'm going to be replacing my old 2010 iMac. So a couple questions:

[Redact]

Also, is Direct mode possible with Catalina? How do you go about it, as Apple has changed it's security structure a good bit with Catalina. If it is still "possible", is there any "real" benefit to going that route. As we know, sometimes we tell ourselves we can hear changes, but they don't really exist --> You know, if the data getting to the DAC is bit perfect to the file, with or without Direct, then there is no change in sound. Does the Mac audio core manipulate the file a little? With the Mac and Audirvana is bit perfect only possible with Direct Mode? I've been using Direct Mode on the iMac w/Sierra, but I never really investigated this, nor A/B'ed it. I just kind-of like to set things up the best way and enjoy listening when I can.

Just a follow up on my post. I had a little time before my Mac Mini showed up, so I was able to A/B Direct mode enabled & disabled. I could not discern a difference, so when the Mini showed up, I decided there was no value in messing with the hack to enable Direct mode. I have System Optimization set on "Very High" and things sound great. I also, have not had any of the random audio drop-outs I experienced with the iMac. Another plus! 😀

Server: Mac Mini 3.2GHz-i7, 512Gb - 16Gb macOS 13.x & Audirvana Origin  DAC: Benchmark DAC3B  Linestage: Benchmark LA4  Amp: Benchmark AHB2 x2  Speakers: Revel F328Be

When you're racing... it's Life. Anything that happens before or after, it's just waiting.
- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

On 4/22/2020 at 11:20 AM, RunHomeSlow said:

When Audirvana is open, Go to Audirvana menu and De-authorize this computer.

That way you license will be good for the new one... (you have 2 licenses, same number with your purchase).

Close Audirvana.

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System…
When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,
just do a ‘‘cmd J’’ to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom…
click Show Library Folder and then you’ll have access to the rest forever.

Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder
Copy that folder (that are or is your database of music).

Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Preferences…
copy com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist and com.audirvana.Audirvana.plist in that folder

(those are A+ software preferences).

Copy the Audirvana application to the new Applications Folder on the new MAC,

put your Audirvana folder in the new Mac at the same place and the 2 preferences at the same place too.

Plug the Hard Drive or your music folder external as it was before with the old mac...

Restart Mac, Restart Audirvana, enter serial maybe. Let it load, all should be the same.

Direct Mode is not on Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave or Catalina by default...

everybody thinks different if it is worth it or not, some can hear big difference some less, some not...

depends on your system and ears :)

Install Audirvana with Catalina regular on new mac, then do your back up and if you wanna try it, do it after.

Or in your case, you can try on the old computer to see before :)

Links for enabling Direct Mode back in Audirvana after El Capitan (10.11.6):

Sierra Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex3ksuj1calu7p6/AudirvanaSierraDirectMode.zip?dl=0

High Sierra Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3tdd82o79ps7c1/AudirvanaHighSierraDirectMode.zip?dl=0

Mojave Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cq8uvtuov6sudgw/AudirvanaMojaveDirectMode.zip?dl=0

Catalina Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqeai0fs8m5o5ey/AudirvanaCatalinaDirectMode.zip?dl=0

RHS, thanks for the application & preferences transfer "How-To." Everything went smoothly. Only one track decided to replicate itself in a new folder. And a couple album covers needed to be reattached. Much better than I feared. 👍

Server: Mac Mini 3.2GHz-i7, 512Gb - 16Gb macOS 13.x & Audirvana Origin  DAC: Benchmark DAC3B  Linestage: Benchmark LA4  Amp: Benchmark AHB2 x2  Speakers: Revel F328Be

When you're racing... it's Life. Anything that happens before or after, it's just waiting.
- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Folks, in the past I was using a re-purposed late 2009 Mac Mini (SSD, 8GB ram) to run Audirvana only. I liked the idea of using my old computer for green reasons. Unfortunately when the latest version of the Audirvana remote software was released, my useability of the headless Mini took a nose-dive. Whilst I never had an issue with the actual software itself, or the audio quality (running into a Chord TT2 via usb) the remote app became a pain to use on my ipad. In took ages for album cover thumbnails to display on the ipad (Air 3) used with remote. Every time I changed to a different genre or screen for example, it’d chug away again whilst refreshing the screen, and sometimes hang. In short, unusable and frustrating. I’m assuming the 2009 mini was/is sadly just too old to run Audirvana and respond quickly to the remote apps needs at the same time?

I went the Raspberry Pi and Moode route after this, which to be honest I’ve been perfectly happy with and positively surprised by. But I do fancy returning to Audirvana again and giving it another shot, especially as I paid for it.

I intend to buy a used Mini for this, and my question is, would a 2014 era Mini be up to running Audirvana, and most importantly be able to work well when used with my ipad and the Audirvana remote app? I tend to just stick to redbook and native sample rates (no DSD or upsampling) so will likely just get an 8GB machine, nothing fancy, run it headless and purely for music. But I need to know it’ll work fine when using the remote app.

Cheers,

John.

3 hours ago, bobbmd said:

I have a late 2012 Mac mini i7 16GB RAM with new 4TB SSD from Samsung still use El Capitan for my operating system and have latest version of A+3.5 and the remote works fine with my iPad Pro and iPhone 7

Thanks - that’s good to know! :)

I also have a late 2012 MM. Mine is i5 with 8GB RAM and a 250GB SSD start up disk. It works perfectly with A 3.5. Would love a large external SSD in place of my WD Red HD which, though fairly silent, can just about be heard purring in the background. Other than that I've no reason to upgrade at the renderer end. As long as you have a Macbook to administrate your MM the late 2012 is all you need. Maybe even older, anyone?

Btw, I also use El Capitan and I don't do anything DSD. 

On 5/12/2020 at 7:44 AM, jos said:

Hello Everyone,

Open its Go menu

thanks much for the thorough explanation! works great for me! DUPES no more!

MacMini (late 2010 w/ 4 gb @ 10.9.5) dedicated to digital music (hi-res @24/96 FLAC & lossless @16/44.1) via Audirvana+ 1.5.12 * thru AQ Carbon USB to MF V-Link 192 to MF M1 DAC via Mogami Gold AES (XLR) * out to Sennheiser HD800 driven by Burson Audio HA-160 OR (when wife not home!) out to Paradigm Studio 60s driven by Golden Tree Audio SE-40 tube stereo amp * MacBook (lossey @iPod/iPad/iPhone/AppleTV + general computing) * MacBook Pro (late 2011) @ripping/tagging DVD-Audio + Blu ray Audio & for travel via Fiio E-17 * iPhone5 64gb w/ FLAC player