IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

19 hours ago, matthias said:

A question for @damien78 or other Audirvana experts:

What does LARGE COREAUDIO I/O BUFFER mean?

Should it be enabled for best sound quality?

Thanks

Matt

To answer my own question:

In my set-up It sounds better with LARGE COREAUDIO I/O BUFFER.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

When you have Direct Mode unable with Mode 1 or 2, you don't see that option...

Maybe it helps when you are uplsampling??

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

2 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

When you have Direct Mode unable with Mode 1 or 2, you don't see that option...

Maybe it helps when you are uplsampling??

It is a quite old MBP and the fans are starting early so upsampling is deactivated.

I think I found now the best settings for this Mac and the Khadas TB.

Thanks

Matt

On 4/18/2020 at 10:03 PM, matthias said:

A question for @damien78 or other Audirvana experts:

What does LARGE COREAUDIO I/O BUFFER mean?

Should it be enabled for best sound quality?

Thanks

Matt

Yes, as it helps in the sending of audio data to the DAC.

This is independent of upsampling.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

I'm a new user looking to buy a computer whose sole purpose will be to run Audirvana. I've found a Mac Mini late 2012 which runs Catalina with an i7, 16 GB of RAM and an SSD, but my question is how long Audirvana will be able to run on Catalina considering the late 2012 mini will probably not get any further iOS updates. Hope my question makes sense. Thanks!

hi oatp1b1,

I'm an old user of a mac mini 2012 , for the sole purpose of running Audirvana but still using `El Capitan.

Provided everything is running ok, then there is no need for you to update your software (security updates aside)

I would suggest that you will be fine for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, Frojo said:

hi oatp1b1,

I'm an old user of a mac mini 2012 , for the sole purpose of running Audirvana but still using `El Capitan.

Provided everything is running ok, then there is no need for you to update your software (security updates aside)

Appreciate it, thanks Frojo!

2 hours ago, Frojo said:

hi oatp1b1,

And if you ever would want to update, there are ready-made installers on the web for new MacOS versions on old hardware that are very well done. I've run first Mojave and now Catalina on my mid-2009 MacBook Pro without any problem. (Because the CPU design is 11 years old, it's rather slow at converting to DSD256. But once the converted file is loaded into memory, it works just fine, no hesitation on playback.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

And if you ever would want to update, there are ready-made installers on the web for new MacOS versions on old hardware that are very well done. I've run first Mojave and now Catalina on my mid-2009 MacBook Pro without any problem. (Because the CPU design is 11 years old, it's rather slow at converting to DSD256. But once the converted file is loaded into memory, it works just fine, no hesitation on playback.)

Jud,

my MBP is mid 2010 and runs High Sierra with latest A3.5.

Is there a SQ benefit to update to Catalina?

Thanks

Matt

Mac Mini thread swing is good timing. I've got a new Mini i7 w/16gb ram on order. I'm going to be replacing my old 2010 iMac. So a couple questions:

How do I transfer my Audirvana 3.5 license and preferences over to the new computer, so that I don't lose meta data? The way I like to sort my albums is by Genre, Artist and then for Classical by Title (i.e. Symphony #5, Piano Concerto #3, etc) and for Jazz, Blues, Rock, etc. I like to sort Artist, Year of original release, Title. So I've had to manipulate Classical titles and erase the year. On most everything else, I've had to change the reissue year to the albums original release date.  I really don't want to have to mess with that again.

Also, is Direct mode possible with Catalina? How do you go about it, as Apple has changed it's security structure a good bit with Catalina. If it is still "possible", is there any "real" benefit to going that route. As we know, sometimes we tell ourselves we can hear changes, but they don't really exist --> You know, if the data getting to the DAC is bit perfect to the file, with or without Direct, then there is no change in sound. Does the Mac audio core manipulate the file a little? With the Mac and Audirvana is bit perfect only possible with Direct Mode? I've been using Direct Mode on the iMac w/Sierra, but I never really investigated this, nor A/B'ed it. I just kind-of like to set things up the best way and enjoy listening when I can.

Thanks!

Server: Mac Mini 3.2GHz-i7, 512Gb - 16Gb macOS 13.x & Audirvana Origin  DAC: Benchmark DAC3B  Linestage: Benchmark LA4  Amp: Benchmark AHB2 x2  Speakers: Revel F328Be

When you're racing... it's Life. Anything that happens before or after, it's just waiting.
- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

I don't think you've been using Direct Mode on High Sierra, without the Hack.

It's not even Listed on my Mac w/High Sierra.

It ended with the one after El Capitan.

Some here have EC on dedicated computers, like you are talking about.

Get EC if you can.

Direct Mode was a BIG selling point at one time.

No reason to think it doesn't make any difference.

I wish I was up doing the Hack to my High Sierra OS, I was going to have my Computer-Guy do it, but now, well, forget it! 

7 hours ago, matthias said:

Jud,

my MBP is mid 2010 and runs High Sierra with latest A3.5.

Is there a SQ benefit to update to Catalina?

Thanks

Matt

Not as far as I know.  🙂

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

10 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

I updated to Catalina as few weeks ago when I wanted to go from 3.2 to 3.5. I have heard no loss of SQ.  I am very happy with the sound of my MacBook Air into my Yggy with Unison USB.

Good to know, I think the Yggy will be my next DAC.

Matt

10 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

When Audirvana is open, Go to Audirvana menu and De-authorize this computer.

That way you license will be good for the new one... (you have 2 licenses, same number with your purchase).

Close Audirvana.

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System…
When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,
just do a ‘‘cmd J’’ to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom…
click Show Library Folder and then you’ll have access to the rest forever.

Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder
Copy that folder (that are or is your database of music).

Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Preferences…
copy com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist and com.audirvana.Audirvana.plist in that folder

(those are A+ software preferences).

Copy the Audirvana application to the new Applications Folder on the new MAC,

put your Audirvana folder in the new Mac at the same place and the 2 preferences at the same place too.

Plug the Hard Drive or your music folder external as it was before with the old mac...

Restart Mac, Restart Audirvana, enter serial maybe. Let it load, all should be the same.

Direct Mode is not on Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave or Catalina by default...

everybody thinks different if it is worth it or not, some can hear big difference some less, some not...

depends on your system and ears :)

Install Audirvana with Catalina regular on new mac, then do your back up and if you wanna try it, do it after.

Or in your case, you can try on the old computer to see before :)

Links for enabling Direct Mode back in Audirvana after El Capitan (10.11.6):

Sierra Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex3ksuj1calu7p6/AudirvanaSierraDirectMode.zip?dl=0

High Sierra Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3tdd82o79ps7c1/AudirvanaHighSierraDirectMode.zip?dl=0

Mojave Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cq8uvtuov6sudgw/AudirvanaMojaveDirectMode.zip?dl=0

Catalina Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqeai0fs8m5o5ey/AudirvanaCatalinaDirectMode.zip?dl=0

Perfect. Thanks man!

Yeah, I did the hack to enabled Direct Mode in Sierra, but I never A/B listened to hear if I could detect a difference. Depending on when the Mini shows up, maybe I'll give it a try before switching them out. It would probably be the smart thing to do, but crap.., that could set a whole precedent for me. 🤣

Server: Mac Mini 3.2GHz-i7, 512Gb - 16Gb macOS 13.x & Audirvana Origin  DAC: Benchmark DAC3B  Linestage: Benchmark LA4  Amp: Benchmark AHB2 x2  Speakers: Revel F328Be

When you're racing... it's Life. Anything that happens before or after, it's just waiting.
- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

22 hours ago, Jud said:

Thanks! I have contacted the seller, hopefully it isn't sold yet. €350 seemed like a pretty good deal.

Perhaps I did not have seen it before, or just overlooked it, but the option 'Deleted Tracks' is in the settings menu.

Can someone tell me the meaning of this function? Can I delete all the files in it without any risk?

Perhaps this is the way to remove double entries.

I would suggest never delete a song in audirvana... it will go there in deleted songs... you can restore it after.

always remove the song from your music folder yourself and make a trash folder outside of it if you are not sure keeping it.

my experience, youll have less bugs 😀

for the double you talk, they are not real doubles... if you look at the path they are, ain’t one have .trashe/ in front of the beginning of path and dont play the other double is the good one and play, yes?

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

14 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

I would suggest never delete a song in audirvana... it will go there in deleted songs... you can restore it after.

always remove the song from your music folder yourself and make a trash folder outside of it if you are not sure keeping it.

my experience, youll have less bugs 😀

for the double you talk, they are not real doubles... if you look at the path they are, ain’t one have .trashe/ in front of the beginning of path and dont play the other double is the good one and play, yes?

Thanks for the quick response! You are right, so normally I do all my database tasks in Apple Music and not in Audirvana. Apple Music will then physically manage the music folder on my NAS. Audirvana is just reading this folder for playback purposes. I will look into what you write in the second part of your answer, but first I have te make my Corona Run, because its late here an no one in the streets.

Well for the second part of my answer... doubles... didn't know your were playing with the devil :)

If one thing for sure, i won't use iTunes or Music soft to be in between my music... Apple love to screw things..... but be sure to uncheck those 2 prefs to avoid doubles... if the ones you have, have the .trashe/ or something similar (can't remember) in their path seen in Audirvana tags, that is in Audirvana database that has to be cured...

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 10.01.12 PM.png

6 minutes ago, DPS said:

The preference page RUNHOMESLOW is showing is the iTunes perefence page not Audirvana page.

That is correct. He's showing you how iTunes will create duplicates of your music files. If those two checkmarks are selected, iTunes will make a copy of your file in its own media folder, while leaving the original file wherever it was.

3 hours ago, bnbayer said:

That is correct. He's showing you how iTunes will create duplicates of your music files. If those two checkmarks are selected, iTunes will make a copy of your file in its own media folder, while leaving the original file wherever it was.

Both options are 'ON' in my situation and that is working fine, but I did had a lot of double entries in iTunes. I could notice that in the past with Song Sergeant, a fine working cleanup tool. Song Sergeant was suggesting to delete te double entries, but I never did that because there was only 1 physical file in the media folder (and not two). Unfortunately Song Sergeant does not work with Apple Music, so I am looking for an alternative, but perhaps I should abandon Apple Music. Audirvana isn't perfect too, so lets wait and see...However, it's a pity that there is still na Audirvana manual.