IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

@damien78 and all other Audirvana friends

I would like to share an audio tweak I came across recently:

My set-up:

MBP mid 2010, 4 GB RAM, High-Sierra, max. memory allocated for tracks pre-load 1 GB

Audirvana, latest version, Qobuz Hi-Fi, no local stored files

MBP receives Qobuz via Wi-Fi only, output via USB to DAC

Directly after loading the files into RAM I turn Wi-Fi off at the menu bar.

The result:

From a pure SQ POV the improvement is subtle but the music is more involving, the interplay of the musicians seems to be better, the music makes more sense and some hardness disappears, the presentation is smoother.

Try and enjoy 🙂

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

23 hours ago, matthias said:

@damien78 and all other Audirvana friends

I would like to share an audio tweak I came across recently:

My set-up:

MBP mid 2010, 4 GB RAM, High-Sierra, max. memory allocated for tracks pre-load 1 GB

Audirvana, latest version, Qobuz Hi-Fi, no local stored files

MBP receives Qobuz via Wi-Fi only, output via USB to DAC

Directly after loading the files into RAM I turn Wi-Fi off at the menu bar.

The result:

From a pure SQ POV the improvement is subtle but the music is more involving, the interplay of the musicians seems to be better, the music makes more sense and some hardness disappears, the presentation is smoother.

Try and enjoy 🙂

Matt

I was a bit more extreme : on my Mac Mini I disconnected the wifi and bluetooth antennas and stopped all sharing services either file or screen sharing

Mac Mini server running Audirvana+

SOtM SMS-200 neo ultra w/ external clock output linked to a tX-USBhubEX 
SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Wyred4Sound DAC2DSDse w/femto clock

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

1 hour ago, dgilz said:

I was a bit more extreme : on my Mac Mini I disconnected the wifi and bluetooth antennas and stopped all sharing services either file or screen sharing

I suppose your Mini is connected via wired ethernet?

Do you use streaming services like Qobuz or do you play local files?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Hello @damien78,

As you know Lumin successfully implemented the Leedh digital volume in their Lumin X1 DAC.

I have been waiting for the Leedh implementation in Audirvana +. Are you still considering?
I would be grateful for some info. If Leedh is as good as the 6moons Lumix X1 review suggest then it would be great to have it with Audirvana +, if possible.

Stay safe everyone.

Best.
Mev

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

A+  vers.3.5.38 running in Catalina running fine until today. have attached a screen capture of the error. Have rebooted Main router as well as the Macbook pro (Catalina ver.10.15.1). Can play to Macbook, but not over network. A+ running in Bootcamp Windows 10 Home plays over the same network perfectly. Debug states UPnP not started???

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 2.52.35 PM.png

greyscale

Marantz 6007, PSB Image B6 & B5, Synology 216+, 2010 Macbook Pro

Audirvana 3.03, JRiver.

37 minutes ago, greyscale said:

A+  vers.3.5.38 running in Catalina running fine until today. have attached a screen capture of the error. Have rebooted Main router as well as the Macbook pro (Catalina ver.10.15.1). Can play to Macbook, but not over network. A+ running in Bootcamp Windows 10 Home plays over the same network perfectly. Debug states UPnP not started???

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 2.52.35 PM.png

MMMMM, now it's working. Have no clue as to what happened. Suddenly just started playing over network fine. Never seen this behavior before😓

greyscale

Audirvana 3.03, JRiver.

On 6/27/2020 at 2:47 AM, mevdinc said:

Hello @damien78,

As you know Lumin successfully implemented the Leedh digital volume in their Lumin X1 DAC.

I have been waiting for the Leedh implementation in Audirvana +. Are you still considering?
I would be grateful for some info. If Leedh is as good as the 6moons Lumix X1 review suggest then it would be great to have it with Audirvana +, if possible.

Stay safe everyone.

Best.
Mev

As a couple of people knowledgeable about DSP commented quite a while ago in the forums, Leedh is a good but ordinary software volume control, i.e., there is no "secret sauce" that makes it better than other well implemented software volume controls. It obeys all the same mathematical laws.

Damien wound up implementing his own improved software volume control.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 6/28/2020 at 4:10 PM, greyscale said:

MMMMM, now it's working. Have no clue as to what happened. Suddenly just started playing over network fine. Never seen this behavior before😓

Found the problem. Had Logitech Media Server running while attempting to run A+. Answer: Catalina Sys Prefs turn off LMS. A+ runs fine.

greyscale

Audirvana 3.03, JRiver.

20 hours ago, Jud said:

As a couple of people knowledgeable about DSP commented quite a while ago in the forums, Leedh is a good but ordinary software volume control, i.e., there is no "secret sauce" that makes it better than other well implemented software volume controls. It obeys all the same mathematical laws.

Damien wound up implementing his own improved software volume control.

Thanks for the update Jud.

From what I remember, the initial info suggested that Leedh was lossless. And the Lumin X1 reviewer seems to be very impressed with it. Clearly, it is a much better implementation. Although from your comment I take it that it is not lossless.
In that case, I do hope that Damien can make his software volume implementation just as good, if not better. That would be brilliant since I prefer to use DACs directly connected to my active system.
A much improved software volume would provide more options as it will allow us to also consider DACs with no analog volume control.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

7 hours ago, mevdinc said:

Thanks for the update Jud.

From what I remember, the initial info suggested that Leedh was lossless. And the Lumin X1 reviewer seems to be very impressed with it. Clearly, it is a much better implementation. Although from your comment I take it that it is not lossless.
In that case, I do hope that Damien can make his software volume implementation just as good, if not better. That would be brilliant since I prefer to use DACs directly connected to my active system.
A much improved software volume would provide more options as it will allow us to also consider DACs with no analog volume control.

You can try Audirvana with improved software volume control currently - it's already implemented. If you want to try it without an analog volume control in the chain, be very careful that it's set to a suitably low level before music plays.

A software volume control by definition can't be "lossless." Changing the loudness in software *always* changes the bits. Anything about "lossless" is marketing-speak.

The real question is how many bits do you have in your volume control? Early software volume controls didn't have a lot of bits, so quality degraded fast as you got rid of bits to reduce the volume. Leedh and modern software volume controls implemented by other developers have more bits to spare and don't create a noticeable change in quality.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@Jud I have been very impressed with both the upsampling and volume control in HQPlayer. I have only guesses as to why it is so good, one of them is likely mathematically perfect channel matching which not all analog volume controls are capable of. Maybe none are as capable as HQPlayer's volume control.

No electron left behind.

16 hours ago, Jud said:

A software volume control by definition can't be "lossless." Changing the loudness in software *always* changes the bits. Anything about "lossless" is marketing-speak.

Not really true... IMHO.
Depends on the wiggle room (i.e. the bit depth and therefore SNR) of the volume control and the bit depth of your target playback device.
If your DAC is 32bit and your volume control runs in 64 bit you effectively have 192db wiggle room to losslessly reduce volume.
Given the volume control is dithered!

Otherwise you not only alter gain levels but also harmonic content (due to truncation distortions).
The latter is unfortunately true for Audirvana.

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

17 hours ago, CheapSplurge said:

Is hqplayer easy to run with audirvana as it is with roon? 

I used to have an audirvana trial but I was so busy I barely used it. 

Now it won't let me retry it, that I have time. To see how it behaves with the hqplayer? 

Please guide me

Audirvana and HQPlayer do not and can not run together as far as I know.

No electron left behind.

I'm thinking that HQP and Audirvana can work together, but I would have to research the forums...

4 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

Not really true... IMHO.
Depends on the wiggle room (i.e. the bit depth and therefore SNR) of the volume control and the bit depth of your target playback device.
If your DAC is 32bit and your volume control runs in 64 bit you effectively have 192db wiggle room to losslessly reduce volume.
Given the volume control is dithered!

The volume changes, the bitstream changes. If the bitstream changes, this is by definition not lossless. Inaudible in terms of alterations other than loudness, quite probably.

19 minutes ago, Jud said:

The volume changes, the bitstream changes. If the bitstream changes, this is by definition not lossless.

Well, yes. But that‘s pretty quibbling and not target-oriented.

Reduce a music track by some db with high bit processing and afterwards push the gain by the same amount of dbs and finally apply dither at the bit depth of the original source file.

Do a null test with both files. They will match exactly down to the noise floor. In terms of practicabilty this is „lossless“ since you‘ve simply exchanged the original noise floor with a new noise floor (at the same level - so totally exchangable).

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

2 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

Well, yes. But that‘s pretty quibbling and not target-oriented.

Reduce a music track by some db with high bit processing and afterwards push the gain by the same amount of dbs and finally apply dither at the bit depth of the original source file.

Do a null test with both files. They will match exactly down to the noise floor. In terms of practicabilty this is „lossless“ since you‘ve simply exchanged the original noise floor with a new noise floor (at the same level - so totally exchangable).

Sure, I fully understand (i.e., there are excellent software volume controls). I just don't want to lose definitional precision, because if we start getting sloppy there, advocates for the Audio Format That Must Not Be Named will start screeching "But we're audibly lossless too, and you're just quibbling!"

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

What magic have you found?

According to this statement HQPlayer Embedded can function as an UPNP renderer thus Audirvana should be able to play to it ...

https://www.signalyst.com/custom.html

In this thread there are some tests about JRiver working with HQPlayer Embedded

.... and here (Italian only, sorry) you can find how configure LMS to work with HQPlayer Embedded (using UPNPBridge LMS plugin)

https://www.nexthardware.com/forum/pc-top-software/90915-mini-guida-come-usare-hqplayer-embedded-hqplayerd-con-lms.html

B921936E-BC33-4E39-BA1D-14B5A23C1BAB.jpeg

Stefano

My audio system

6 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Ok, but why would you?

If you want to use HQPlayer there are much better ways than hassling with the terrible UI of Audirvana while giving up it's one advantage and that's a fantastic sound when directly connected, IMO of course.

“better ways” ... riff on this please!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.