IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

1 hour ago, jamesg11 said:

now occurs to me that maybe the rendu’s dlna output mode, unlike hqp naa mode, may not enable dsd256 on a mac where the rme dac’s pcm upper limit is 384 ie uses dop?

No problem with naa doing this of course.

Anyone know if this is the issue?

Yes. With my iFi iDSD I had to set the PCM max to 768 to get it play DSD at it's correct max over DOP. Just don't try to actually play PCM any higher than 384.

Interesting - does AV actually have a DOP / native DSD preferences setting choice?

Or just select dsd + dsd256 & then max of pcm + dsd?

Anyway latter method has no success with pcm ... simply hangs on “loading first track”?

DSD albums up to dsd256 play fine. Go figure ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Now up & going!

Not sure which pref change did it ... now to make this success repeatable.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

6 hours ago, biosailor said:

Don't you have this already? In Audio Settings ... you can configure all sorts of filters appropriate for Room/Sound EQ. In my case I am using Pro Fab Filter Q 3. REW (https://www.roomeqwizard.com/) has a nice software package to measure the frequency behaviour of your listening room.

AV1.png

AV2.png

Thanks, Biosailer, I will look into it. Didn’t know.

2 hours ago, jos said:

Thanks, Biosailer, I will look into it. Didn’t know.

beside EQ Plugins here‘s a complete solution (works as a Plugin in Audirvana and/or as systemwide extension).

sonarworks

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | NAD C 316BEE | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

On 1/26/2020 at 8:44 PM, biosailor said:

Don't you have this already? In Audio Settings

How about starting with simple fixes? Something like channel balance, time delays, speaker distance settings , crossovers, etc. Plugins you guys mention are quite expensive (more expensive than Audirvana itself) and, in most cases, they are overkill. Their key market is audio mastering/mixing, studio/DAW users.

A good example to have a look is JRiver room correction options. Something similar would be most appreciated.

My 2c

5 minutes ago, macuniverse said:

How about starting with simple fixes? Something like channel balance, time delays, speaker distance settings , crossovers, etc. Plugins you guys mention are quite expensive (more expensive than Audirvana itself) and, in most cases, they are overkill. Their key market is audio mastering/mixing, studio/DAW users.

A good example to have a look is JRiver room correction options. Something similar would be most appreciated.

My 2c

REW is free. With that and a $75 calibrated microphone you can optimize your room setup. I don’t know whether you can do equalization for Audirvana with it - anyone know the answer to that?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

45 minutes ago, macuniverse said:

My 2c

REW is free, as @Jud mentions. All you need is a calibrated mic, which isn’t that expensive.

As equalizer, I mentioned Fab Filter. Agreed, this one is expensive. But Audirvana accepts simple Mac plugins as well that come with MacOS.

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

REW is free. With that and a $75 calibrated microphone you can optimize your room setup. I don’t know whether you can do equalization for Audirvana with it - anyone know the answer to that?

Yes, you can do that. I, actually, do it myself. REW+Umik-1 USB mic to measure the room FR & IR, DRC Designer Software (Win) to generate FIR filters. You also need a convolution engine to apply the DRC filters in Audirvana. I use Reverberate Core ($39) for this. Very good plugin. I get easily identifiable significant SQ improvements.

However, what you cannot do is your specific channel balance/distance fixes (for example, speaker placement difficulties or if you have some unbalanced L/R hearing issues). JRiver has options to fix these problems (in case Damien is curious).

On 1/15/2020 at 12:25 PM, Hoshi said:

I recently upgraded my 8 year PS Audio PWDII DAC to a Project S2.  Primary reason for doing so was for its ability to play upsampled DSD512 files as well as fully decoded MQA files.  I could not be happier with it's performance. DSD512 sounds magnificent. MQA as well but the surprise so far is that DSD512 sound better to me.  

My music server is a late model 2012 Mac Mini with 16MB of memory.  I’m also running El Capitan for its OS.  

The reason for my post is that I need some advice and help.  When playing the first track of upsampled redbook files to DSD512, I get a stutter.  I get occasional stuttering during a track and usually again at the beginning of the next track.  I’ve tried different settings in A+ focusing primarily with “memory allocation”, and sampling rates.  All adjustments change the timing and rate of the stuttering but I cannot find a remedy for my issue. PCM up to 384 has zero issues.  Another thing I noticed is when I move the sampling rate in DSD to DSD256, A+ accepts the change but the file playback sampling rate on the remote and at the right side bottom of the screen in the desktop app displays 16/44.  I’m assuming that I am not playing back DSD256.  What am I missing here?

I was thinking that perhaps a new MAC with a faster processor would possibly be the fix but after reading this thread, others with newer and faster computers seem to have the same type of issue.  Can anyone out there play DSD512 seamlessly without glitches or issues? If so, can you please share your setting or suggest something to try?  

DSD512 sound so good, I’d hate to playback and settle for DSD256 if that is even possible.  

Thanks and look forward to some ideas and feedback. 

Hoshi

I’ve solved my issue when upsampling to DSD512.  I read on another forum that someone was able to get DSD512 and A+ to run flawlessly on a late model Mac with a mRendu.  I ended up moving a newer 2018 MacMini from another location to my music room and switching out my late 2012 MacMini.  I’m only running 8GB of memory compared to 16GB on the older Mac but now have zero issues.  Using a mRendu 1.4 as a renderer.  

18 hours ago, biosailor said:

Super! I‘d be interested to learn from your experience with Sonarworks.

My final decision is to order Sonarworks this week, because it fits my situation best = NAS -> Mac/Audirvana -> EtherREGEN -> ultraRendu -> Chord Qutest -> Yamaha A-S2100 amplifier, feeding my Revel F208 speakers.

I really don't need/want additional hardware and it seems that Dirac Live is not available anymore as standalone software, and REW looks like it is a little too difficult for me. 

I will report my findings here, but not very soon.

In my humble opinion my sound is quite good already, but for this money I want to get the most out of my system (and some peace of mind too).

Thanks all!

I'm sorry if this had been asked before... Is there a way to log into Tidal with my twitter account?

Tidal app supports this feature. I've tired to log in with my twitter's email&password but without success.

Silent PC > AO > TQ Black USB > Hegel HD11 > Vovox Textura > Hegel H100 > Vovox Vocalis > MS Mezzo 6