IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

8 hours ago, Bricki said:

IMAG0558.thumb.jpg.a0657feca2bd75166986227b49eecf30.jpgOn the NUC7CJYH bios does anyone know if the package power limit sliders are worth fiddling with? Or just leave them as is? 

Mine runs powered from the LPS1.2 usually without fiddling. However one can set the NUC at 10 watts to be safe without any SQ penalty that I have observed. An ISO Regen means DAC VBUS doesn't come from the NUC thereby lowering current demand on the LPS1.2.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Going back to basics..old but new to me...

As there are going to be some unused ports and i am sure these are in the draws of a few people. Has or is anyone using these in the NUCs.

I use IFI for post PC filtering into the ISO R. Jitter bugs as mentioned below, these were used for noise on the bus internally as well as the direct chain. 

Side note: what is on your chain now. Added or removed. ?

Looking for a stocking filler that doesn't mean a divorce...

1 hour ago, Middy said:

Going back to basics..old but new to me...

As there are going to be some unused ports and i am sure these are in the draws of a few people. Has or is anyone using these in the NUCs.

I use IFI for post PC filtering into the ISO R. Jitter bugs as mentioned below, these were used for noise on the bus internally as well as the direct chain. 

Side note: what is on your chain now. Added or removed. ?

Looking for a stocking filler that doesn't mean a divorce...

Middy,

Do you still need the Jitterbug after the IsoRegen?  You'd better try and report back.

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

Just FYI for folks who have been using AL headless since 0.3 and earlier...

Please be aware that Extreme mode in 0.3 is the equivalent of Extreme2 in more recent versions like 0.7.

As you will recall, Piero had suggested a while ago that folks who were finding the Extreme mode too thermally stressful could tame it down by removing the flag idle=poll from the audiolinuxEXTREME.conf file. Well, this tamer version on 0.7 is now Extreme.

So in short:

• on ≤ 0.3: Extreme includes idle=poll 
  • on 0.7:
    • Extreme  excludes idle=poll
    • Extreme2 includes idle=poll

So: Extreme on 0.3 ≈ Extreme2 on 0.7.

Thanks @austinpop!

can anyone report if there is an improvement in SQ by moving to 0.7 from 0.3? or is the difference just in menu functionality? 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Jitter bug wise it was only for an unused USB port. This device i assumed affects the motherboard circuit, not just the 5v data+- out.

Lps1 Iso + intona does my data transfer.

LPS1.2 seems the way to go power in.

Stripping out all hardware improves things. Does JB quiet thing down even more.  Was just a thought going over whats been used before. 

Other than better power i cant find anything to filter the motherboard itself.

+cheap ?

I hoped @lmitche as he was active on JB had some to try one in a stripped down NUC on an unused usb port.

As Austinpop mentioned all other things still apply with improving Computer audio SQ. With the NUC and its unique stripped down application have people revisited thier chain with the NUC AL set up.  

Sorry i am new to this with a million questions in my head. SQ improvements are addictive...

Merry xmas

Dave

12 minutes ago, mozes said:

I plugged the ethernet cable to my NUC with AL 0.7 headless, but how do I know if the NUC is connected to the network?

Log in to your router as admin and look at the clients.  You should see an entry for AudioLinux and it will show you its IP address.

If you have a monitor attached to your NUC, you can just type 'ip ad' at the command prompt and look for an IP address associated with eno1 like 192.168.1.xxx.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Thanks Rick, I managed to sort it out and installed MPD and upnp. I can see MPD as a zone in jriver but no sound is coming from my dac. I am using Hugo TT2, it should be driverless with Linux. I am connecting the NUC to tX-USBultra then to TT2 via usb. Does it make a difference which usb port I use?

1 hour ago, mozes said:

Does it make a difference which usb port I use?

Not unless you've disabled some USB ports in the BIOS.  Have you tried bypassing the tX-USBultra just for troubleshooting?  I'm using LMS/Squeezelite on my NUC/AL endpoint, so I don't have experience with UPnP/MPD in a Linux environment.  Maybe there's some configuration required.  Hopefully somebody's around who can help you.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

@mozes I’m sure you have enabled the services after install.

Did you leave onboard Audio unchecked or checked In bios? Try leaving it checked.

In AL 0.7 you have the status undermenu where you Can check Audiocard etc.

I use the USB port(upper) on the back of my CJYH

You Can also try to poweroff your NUC and your audiogear. Then power on DAC, Pre and poweramp. Last you power on your NUC.

3 hours ago, Monge said:

@mozes I’m sure you have enabled the services after install.

Did you leave onboard Audio unchecked or checked In bios? Try leaving it checked.

In AL 0.7 you have the status undermenu where you Can check Audiocard etc.

I use the USB port(upper) on the back of my CJYH

You Can also try to poweroff your NUC and your audiogear. Then power on DAC, Pre and poweramp. Last you power on your NUC.

Thanks Monge, I enabled the services but will check the BIOS settings as you mentioned.

31 minutes ago, mozes said:

Thanks Monge, I enabled the services but will check the BIOS settings as you mentioned.

Restart UPnP/MPD after you make any changes to the configuration file and check your mpd log file for any clues.  Have you asked Piero (email to [email protected])? 

9 hours ago, mozes said:

Thanks Rick, I managed to sort it out and installed MPD and upnp. I can see MPD as a zone in jriver but no sound is coming from my dac.

There should be an ect/mpd.conf file similar to squeezelite setup. You may need to edit that file in the same way to point to your DAC.

3 hours ago, rickca said:

Restart UPnP/MPD after you make any changes to the configuration file and check your mpd log file for any clues.  Have you asked Piero (email to [email protected])? 

Piero just told me to edit .mpdconf file and that I should have device "hw:1,0" 

I don't have a computer degree, so these things are going over my head.