IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

4 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

Audiolinux 0.7 with new improved menu (now with 4 screens)

Does Install Squeezelite option 9 (as opposed to Install Squeezelite R2 option 8 do the following:

pacman -U squeezelite-git-1.9.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

so we use /etc/squeezelite.conf with it?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

You cannot install AUR packages with pacman.

OK sorry I copied that pacman command from audio-linux.com ... it assumes you have downloaded the package locally.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

6 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

If you want to update from last version you can install the new menu with these commands (as root)

pacman -S lftp sysstat
lftp -e 'mirror https://www.audio-linux.com/ftp/packages/menu /tmp; bye'
cd /tmp
tar -xvpf almenu.tar.gz
cp -prf scripts /opt/
cp -prf sudoers /etc/sudoers
ln -s /opt/scripts/alconf.sh /usr/bin/alconf
ln -s /opt/scripts/almon.sh /usr/bin/almon
ln -s /opt/scripts/alupdate.sh /usr/bin/alupdate
ln -s /opt/scripts/menu.sh /usr/bin/menu

If you want also the web interface (as user):
yaourt -S shellinabox-git

As root:

cd /tmp
lftp -e 'get https://www.audio-linux.com/ftp/temp/webinterface.tar.gz; bye'
tar -xvpf webinterface.tar.gz
cp -prf shellinabox /etc/
cp -prf [email protected] /etc/systemd/system/[email protected]
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable [email protected]
systemctl start [email protected]

After you can connect from a browser with
http://ipaddress:8500

In version .6 as root, when I type in:

ln -s /opt/scripts/alconf.sh /usr/bin/alconf

I get an error: "ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/alconf' : file exists"

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

45 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

If in some version the link is already there, no problem, type the other commands.

Thanks. I have the menus now. Very helpful.

Installing the browser access seems to need some help. I got through the scripts without issue but cannot seem to connect using http://ipaddress:8500

image.png.145a7e941e0a9835b550d37029d63e64.png

System

@hifi25nl

Hi have i purchased the wrong version Piero.?

I just bought 0.7 headless as it was mentioned it has LXQT GUI to help set up AL before going headless later.?

I have no knowledge of Linux other whats been spoken of here. 

I plan to use 2 NUCS with roon later.

Server end point..

Can you advise if i have made a mistake...

Booting and typing menu is all i have managed so far.. But no LXQT option..

A revision log would take some work... For kernel and packages, you can see the linux kernel release notes and the developer sites.

For manual changes I have made myself, there are the new menus options, time sync at boot and some minor changes.

The system is now completely upgradable from inside (menus, kernel, packages).

The sound configuration is the same as the previous versions, so people with a working system don't need to reinstall. Audiolinux is a "rolling release", you can update it continuously.

@Middy, for commercial questions, please contact me at the support email address.

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

8 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

Yes. If you are in ram mode, if possible reboot to normal mode answering N to boot prompt (recommended)

Or use the save option after updating if you cannot connect a keyboard and screen.

Now I am working on the mount scripts for local and remote drives!

Nice job on 0.7 Piero! Many thanks.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

6 hours ago, Middy said:

@hifi25nl

Hi have i purchased the wrong version Piero.?

I just bought 0.7 headless as it was mentioned it has LXQT GUI to help set up AL before going headless later.?

I have no knowledge of Linux other whats been spoken of here. 

I plan to use 2 NUCS with roon later.

Server end point..

Can you advise if i have made a mistake...

Booting and typing menu is all i have managed so far.. But no LXQT option..

Middy,

I guess now you need to pay $20 extra for the LXQt, a very worthy investment in MPOV.  Please check www.audio-linux.com

Usually people buy the LXQt first and then upgrade to the headless.  Have you got two PC?  If yes, it's not too bad to use the headless to set up an endpoint.  If you have only one PC, CAers here mentioned that Roon servers and HQPe may be set up in the headless as well.  You need to find a control for this config, say a tablet connected to your network that connected to your headless as well.

9 hours ago, mourip said:

Thanks. I have the menus now. Very helpful.

Installing the browser access seems to need some help. I got through the scripts without issue but cannot seem to connect using http://ipaddress:8500

image.png.145a7e941e0a9835b550d37029d63e64.png

Problem solved. I misunderstood the original instructions and did not follow that there were two steps ...not two alternatives. 

1) AS USER: yaourt -S shellinabox-git
2) AS ROOT, when the installation is finished:
 see commands

Nice to have such easy access to the great new menus.

Luckily Piero suffers idiots gladly?

System

5 hours ago, lmitche said:

Nice job on 0.7 Piero! Many thanks.

Larry

+2 (after Rajiv). 

I started from LXQt 2.2 and headless 0.3.  Piero's service has been 1st class since my start up.  The SQ has been great and the menu provided by 0.7 is very helpful for newcomers.  The on the fly change of the mode (standard and extreme) is indeed useful and the monitor of temperature is very useful and practical as well.

As a matter of fact, I know nothing about Linux, just the commands/operations need to run AL. Lol.

10 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

The system is now completely upgradable from inside (menus, kernel, packages).

This is really great for users like me.  I want to become more proficient at Linux and I am learning, but this will help me stay current even at my current skill level.  Once you start listening to what AL delivers, it's hard to stop to do maintenance.

On 12/16/2018 at 1:39 PM, wildsam said:

Install jriver 64bit and then follow this guide to setup DLNA sharing on your network.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server

once setup, I use JRemote app on a tablet to control playback and switch between zones. Very slick, great sound and trouble free.

cheers 

Hi Sam,

I tried to follow but haven't got the clue yet.  Would you mind telling me what are you running in the endpoint, the Headless AL.

Then JRiver should be installed in the server and send files to the endpoint, correct?

Regards.

I am running AL lxqt version with jriver as a endpoint at the moment.

I am not sure if jriver can run with AL headless that’s why I asked @hifi25nl

I need to know if it’s possible first before spending the extra $20 for the headless version. PM me if you need anymore help mate

1 hour ago, hifi25nl said:

You cannot run Jriver in headless version.  Jriver needs xorg graphical drivers.

Yes, you could use some tricks and install xorg and a "dummy" driver in headless, but what for? It would have xorg... better to use lxqt version then.

Thank Piero.  I do not want JRiver in headless.  I hope that I can use JRiver in LXQt and send files to something in the headless.  Is this possible?  Just like HQP can send files to NAA in the headless.