IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

Simple tips also, i have nothing against any geeky tips for those who can, anything that furthers a development should be encouraged.

Id love a custom low latency stock trading server blade.

To me though its as useful as a half built  ikea coffee table..

Greenleo's on the fly guide is a great contibution. Always there are many tiered groups in a thread, we have an evil twin thread already to cater for the analysis, debunking and electrical attributes. This should be a great companion  to the main thread.

Thanks @rickca

Good luck..

If you try AL/RPI3 as I did, you may run into limitations. I could only get the 32 bit version to work for Roonbridge with greater than CD quality by using the overclocking config

remarked out in config.txt. The 32 bit AL image sounds great but you can hear "graininess" on cymbals and massed strings, an area where the better hardware of a microRendu

sounds cleaner.  In email with Piero he advised that 64 bit did not have overclocking support, and that for AL faster processor improves sound so I intend

to pass on getting the 64 bit client working, moving on next to a Celeron or Pentium NUC for endpoint.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Some settings should be universally applicable for many distros, though there are others hardware-specific ones and obviously we've gotta get the matching motherboard / server etc. in order to apply those corresponding settings

Low Latency Performance Tuning for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
https://access.redhat.com/sites/default/files/attachments/201501-perf-brief-low-latency-tuning-rhel7-v1.1.pdf

Linux on Power – low latency tuning
https://developer.ibm.com/linuxonpower/docs/linux-on-power-low-latency-tuning/

Configuring and tuning HPE ProLiant Servers for  low-latency applications
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01804533

How to Enable Dell Processor Acceleration Technology
https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/mvbsdt1/sln156702/how-to-enable-dell-processor-acceleration-technology

https://vinfrastructure.it/2017/09/dell-processor-acceleration-technology-pat/

Analysis: Inside Supermicro's Hyper-Speed HFT Server
https://intelligenttradingtechnology.com/blog/analysis-inside-supermicros-hyper-speed-hft-server

New Generation Servers Optimized for Extreme Low-Latency Trading
https://www.supermicro.com/white_paper/white_paper_Low_Latency_Server.pdf

Low Latency/Jitter Optimization  User’s Guide
https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/files/Hyper-Speed/low_lat_jitter_opt_guide.pdf

Basically they're optimizing each system to suit the requirements of high-frequency trading, therefore it's a just matter minimizing the number of active cores while maximizing the the clock speed of CPU. Of course we've gotta find out if that kinda settings would also work for Roon / LMS / HQP or otherwise.

As most AL users strive to have AL in RAM it would be nice to have AL started using Netboot. Thus booting over ethernet.

It will be somewhat harder to configure, but this way you will not have to manually remove the USB thumb drive (or in my case the USB SSD drive)

I've done this a long time ago, to load an entire OS from the network. The bootloader and the drives were on my NAS. I did configure a LUN and some iSCSI drives if memory serves me.

40 minutes ago, afrancois said:

As most AL users strive to have AL in RAM it would be nice to have AL started using Netboot. Thus booting over ethernet.

It will be somewhat harder to configure, but this way you will not have to manually remove the USB thumb drive (or in my case the USB SSD drive)

I've done this a long time ago, to load an entire OS from the network. The bootloader and the drives were on my NAS. I did configure a LUN and some iSCSI drives if memory serves me.

Agreed, that would be an elegant solution. I’d love to know how to configure this...

I used etcher (on Windows 10) rather than rufus to create my bootable USB thumb drive with AL.  Just download the .gz file, use 7-zip to extract the .img, and point etcher to the .img and your USB thumb drive.  It works perfectly.  I booted the USB thumb drive on my Macbook Pro just to make sure it worked. 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 11/29/2018 at 6:30 PM, greenleo said:

Hi L&L and other CAers,

A new version of AL lxqt is coming.  This version will greatly simplify the basic operations of the AL in GUI mode.  I'm testing it and also trying thing that CAers here or CAers in the "mother" thread may find interesting.  Will report if new things come up and produce a walk through with images if possible.

Regards.

It would be nice if LXQT had a reboot option that switched  headless <> GUI. Far easier to make/save changes in GUI mode than to do it all through command line

in headless, than switch back to headless/no GUI.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

It would be nice if LXQT had a reboot option that switched  headless <> GUI. Far easier to make/save changes in GUI mode than to do it all through command line

in headless, than switch back to headless/no GUI.

Headless and lxqt are different things.  Larry mentioned in the "mother" thread that it's very difficult to make an lxqt a headless.  I asked him there and that's his reply.

Anyway, headless is used as an endpoint and the lxqt used as an control PC.  In this case, there is no reason to switch back and and fro.

1 hour ago, greenleo said:

Headless and lxqt are different things.  Larry mentioned in the "mother" thread that it's very difficult to make an lxqt a headless.  I asked him there and that's his reply.

Anyway, headless is used as an endpoint and the lxqt used as an control PC.  In this case, there is no reason to switch back and and fro.

All headless means is that there are no drivers for input/output peripherals... you access the OS remotely over IP connection. WIth LXQT you do have

the added overhead of more drivers loaded  but you can just physically unplug the input devices and you can disable the GUI from loading. 

I'm running LXQT as Roon endpoint on Raspberry Pi and I have the same option with PC.

The main disadvantage of LXQT is it requires more RAM... my RAM disk consumes 8gb of RAM for OS and Roon database. You have to jettison the peripherals

driver database (headless)to get AL to run on only 8GB of RAM

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

9 hours ago, greenleo said:

CAers,

I've just learnt how to make a network bridge.  It took Piero and me a long time, many thanks for Piero.  Hope that a walk through may be produced in a few days.  Lots of command has been used.  I need to organize my thoughts and think the screen captures needed.  Hope that it can be done in a few days.

Hi greenleo, the procedure for setting up the network bridge in AudioLinux lqxt and headless had already been stated in the AL website. A detailed guide can also be found in the following web link in the website:

http://www.audio-linux.com/html/bridge.html

Piero had already stated the procedure quite explicitly there. But you may probably want to elaborate on it or share your experience, if you wish. Cheers.

• austinpop changed the title to AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning
12 hours ago, davide256 said:

All headless means is that there are no drivers for input/output peripherals... you access the OS remotely over IP connection. WIth LXQT you do have

the added overhead of more drivers loaded  but you can just physically unplug the input devices and you can disable the GUI from loading. 

I'm running LXQT as Roon endpoint on Raspberry Pi and I have the same option with PC.

The main disadvantage of LXQT is it requires more RAM... my RAM disk consumes 8gb of RAM for OS and Roon database. You have to jettison the peripherals

driver database (headless)to get AL to run on only 8GB of RAM

You may login to headless directly and change the options.  Not necessarily remote.  I do this often.

The beauty of headless as an endpoint is that electrial noises may be reduced as far as possible.  I do not use Roon, hence no further input.  I use HQP in the lxqt, the control PC to the headless, the audio PC that runs the NAA and find the SQ very satisfying.

52 minutes ago, greenleo said:

Thank you Simon.  

My walk through intended would be more verbose, with more checking or images illustrated.  To me, wordy things for laymen (like me) are very scary.  Piero helped me a lot and I promised that I'll share the knowledge with the CAers as a feedback.

As a matter of fact, I didn't know that a guide already exist.  I'll withdraw my walkthrough now as it's no longer necessary. 

Cheers

Hi greenleo, you have a great idea of providing a detailed procedure with more checking and images illustrated. Kindly please feel free to do so.

It had also taken me (layman as well) quite some time to pick up the wordy procedure.

It would be a pity if you withdraw your walkthrough now, since it could be a nice contribution to the other followers.

Thanks and regards,

Simon