IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

5 hours ago, darkfrank said:

Thanks, I installed ethtool and managed to change those configs. If need to apply these configs permanently, the only way is to add a customized service to systemd to run a script on boot? 

You probably saw it but here is a section "making ethanol settings permanent" in that link.

Did you add all the configs listed there?

Interesting resource

However I noticed this warning on the intro page: https://cromwell-intl.com/open-source/performance-tuning/

Be careful: The network tuning suggestions are for a data center with at least 1 Gbps bandwidth and very low round-trip latency. If you apply them to your home computer, they are likely to make your Internet connection worse instead of better. See the BufferBloat discussion on the Ethernet page for why this is the case.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

7 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Was AutoCorrect getting drunk or what?

yep, all part of a (budget) Christmas spirit... :)

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

57 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

You probably saw it but here is a section "making ethanol settings permanent" in that link.

Did you add all the configs listed there?

Interesting resource

However I noticed this warning on the intro page: https://cromwell-intl.com/open-source/performance-tuning/

Be careful: The network tuning suggestions are for a data center with at least 1 Gbps bandwidth and very low round-trip latency. If you apply them to your home computer, they are likely to make your Internet connection worse instead of better. See the BufferBloat discussion on the Ethernet page for why this is the case.

Yea but there is no /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-enxxx in archlinux, no /etc/rc.d/rc.local as well.

The configure file of the network interface is located at /etc/systemd/network/en.network, I doubt adding those ethtool commands into it would works.

22 hours ago, lmitche said:

Unless I missed something, there is no reason to check the audio box with a usb DAC or DDC.

My mistake. Sorry. 

I just tried to leave the Onboard Audio unchecked In BIOS and running AL 0.7 it works like a charm.

It tried it a couple of times In earlier Al versions and I could not get it to work.

Thanks for correcting me and have a Merry Christmas.

18 minutes ago, Monge said:

My mistake. Sorry. 

I just tried to leave the Onboard Audio unchecked In BIOS and running AL 0.7 it works like a charm.

It tried it a couple of times In earlier Al versions and I could not get it to work.

Thanks for correcting me and have a Merry Christmas.

Hi Monge. Glad to see it worked, Merry Christmas to you and yours. Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

7 hours ago, darkfrank said:

Yea but there is no /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-enxxx in archlinux, no /etc/rc.d/rc.local as well.

The configure file of the network interface is located at /etc/systemd/network/en.network, I doubt adding those ethtool commands into it would works.

Okay, I see. Maybe Piero can help...

On 12/23/2018 at 6:13 AM, hifi25nl said:

New menu version 0.8! 

If you have installed audiolinux 0.7 or updated manually to the new menu you can update it from Update menu.

Now you can mount easier a local or network drive with a script .

Mount scripts are in a beta stage, please use with care.

For network mount you must install first nmap

pacman -S nmap

menu_0.8.jpg

menu_0.8-2.jpg

This isn't working for me.  I have a Lexar USB stack of SDXC memory cards. I can see the two "drives" sdb and sdc when I use the menu local mount option.

I enter sdb1, yes for a second drive, sdc1 for the second drive, exit, then enable Roonserver to run. Normally at this point with LXQT I find the attached music

drives in the media folder (linux1/linux2 or windows1/windows2 but I'm not seeing anything in any of the folders in this directory. What step am I missing?

Running extreme mode, boot to RAM on NUC7pjyh

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I got my NUC7PJYH to boot with an LPS-1.2 set to 12V.  All I did was disable SpeedStep, SATA and onboard audio.

The interesting thing is it works with an LPS-1.2 if I use the two USB3 ports in the rear for my USB flash drive and the USB cable to my DAC.  If I use a rear USB3 port for the USB cable to my DAC, but a front USB3 port for the USB flash drive, the NUC will not boot with the LPS-1.2.

Actually, the USB cable goes to a Berkeley Alpha USB which uses bus power only for the dirty input side.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

I got my NUC7PJYH to boot with an LPS-1.2 set to 12V.  All I did was disable SpeedStep, SATA and onboard audio.

The interesting thing is it works with an LPS-1.2 if I use the two USB3 ports in the rear for my USB flash drive and the USB cable to my DAC.  If I use a rear USB3 port for the USB cable to my DAC, but a front USB3 port for the USB flash drive, the NUC will not boot with the LPS-1.2.

Actually, the USB cable goes to a Berkeley Alpha USB which uses bus power only for the dirty input side.

Which suggests it's all about the current draw from the DAC or DDC on USB. Bus powered DACs will probably not work.

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Bus powered DACs will probably not work.

They will probably work if you have something like an ISO REGEN between the NUC and the bus powered DAC.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

28 minutes ago, rickca said:

the yellow port allows more current for USB charging, disabling USB charging will likely eliminate the front/back difference

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

10 minutes ago, davide256 said:

the yellow port allows more current for USB charging, disabling USB charging will likely eliminate the front/back difference

I didn't use the yellow port in front.  I used the blue port.  But you may still be right.

9 hours ago, rickca said:

They will probably work if you have something like an ISO REGEN between the NUC and the bus powered DAC.

Yes, the ISO Regen takes very little vbus power itself and creates an independent vbus power source for a bus powered DAC. That's how I run the NUC7i7 on the LPS1.2 here.

10 hours ago, rickca said:

Sounds like you have more circuits to disable in the bios. At a minimum disable the network interface you are not using, (wifi or ethernet nic), hdaudio, microphones...etc.

On CJYH

I tried to disable USB ports 4,5 and 6. So I think the blue port on front is number 4 course I could’nt use my wireless keyboard (connectet at blue port at front) after reboot.

So I think the USB ports on the rear is 1 and 2 and the front USB ports is 3 Yellow and 4 blue.

Also I have the option to set USB ports In the BIOS to “no detect”.

2 hours ago, Monge said:

Which numbers do the rear and front USB 3 have In BIOS CJYH/PJYH?

I can't recall but on the PJYH it tells you right there in the BIOS.

One step forward, 2 steps backwards - an update on my AL adventures (or should that be misadventures).

Part 1 - Popped the popping sound

So my one step forward is that I had a brainwave that helped me get my i7DNBE board working nicely with my LPS-1.2

Long story short the SMS-500 was plugged into my AudioQuest Niagara powerstrip and the LPS-1.2 was plugged into a standard wall socket. Swapped them and the popping sound was now gone. The technical details of why this may be are over my head but it also explains why I was the only one reporting this popping noise on the LPS-1.2. Must have been something specific to how my system is hooked up.

Part 2 - Lost stability and losing my mind with Roon!

After fixing the popping sound I also downloaded AL0.7 and updated both the Server & Endpoint to use this latest version. In both cases I did a complete install from scratch on using Rufus to create the USB drives and then configuring them. I followed the steps that are now becoming all too familiar to me.

Renamed each device using: hostnamectl set-hostname

Mounted the SSD on the Server using: nano -w /etc/fstab

Set each device to boot in Extreme2 mode and set Realtime priority to Extreme.

Then once configured and playing nicely I set each to RamRoot, rebooted, saved and started playing.

And it sounds terrific.

But to paraphrase Ray Liotta in Goodfellas, then came the bad times ?

It plays fine. But once left for a while when I go back to play again nothing will play. I select an album and each track skips through quickly without making a sound. Previously when I'd encountered similar issues power cycling my DAC (PS Audio Directstream) resolved this but it doesn't work now. Rebooting either the EndPoint or the Server results in either Roon cannot see the EndPoint at all. Or Roon can see the Endpoint but cannot see it having a USB connected DAC.

Long story short over the last few days I find that rebooting the Server is the best option but it takes 2 to 3 reboots before it sees the USB Endpoint. This will last for a while and then drop.

I've also reinstalled both the Endpoint and the Servers version of AL - must be three times each now. Works for a bit and then drops out and needs several reboots to kick back in.

So I'm tearing my hair out wrt what to try next. Do I revert to an earlier version of AL? Is there some sort of best practice for which unit (Endpoint running Roon Bridge or Server running Roon Server) to configure and save to Ramroot first? Does the Ramroot AL server use the SSD for anything other that locating the music (i.e. is it saving anything that's tripping the settings up)?

Not sure if I've done anything stupid in the setup but I don't think so as it seems a fairly simple process:

1. Flash new image to USB drive

2. Change hostname

2b. Mount SSD (server only)

3. Boot and change to Extreme Boot mode

4. Reboot and change RealTime to Extreme

5. Enable Roon Bridge/Roon Server

6. Set to RamRoot and reboot

7. Boot and Save

But several attempts later and I'm finding it impossible to create a stable enough version that lasts more than an hour or so.

Any thoughts on what to look at or advice on best practice?

I'm wondering what the sonic hit is on installing Roon ROCK on the server to see if that's more stable

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

On 12/24/2018 at 6:45 PM, hifi25nl said:

Updated and fixed some problems in mount scripts. Now menu is version 081

Merry Christmas!

I can see that the script now creates folders for the mounts in media directory but doing a disk status from the menu still showed no mount point. I ended up manually

editing fstab to add the UUID statements with linux1 and linux2 mount points.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system