IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

5 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

In this case is easy. The following line can be applied only if partition has not been expanded and only for headless:

OK the key is that count parameter.  After putting the .img onto the flash drive with Etcher, I have done some some updates like option 3 on the AL update menu (Update all other packages).  Does that operation automatically expand the partition if more space is required, or do you have to do something explicit to expand a partition?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, hifi25nl said:

In this case is easy. The following line can be applied only if partition has not been expanded and only for headless:

dd if=/dev/sde conv=sync,noerror bs=1048576 count=5990 | gzip -c  > audiolinux.img.gz

Thanks Piero,

And does it matter if the OS is loaded to RAM or not before you do this?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

2 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

dd if=/dev/sde conv=sync,noerror bs=1048576 count=5990 | gzip -c  > audiolinux.img.gz

Piero, if I add together the blocksize for the first two headless partitions 511705088 +  5767168000 = 6278873088 or 6278873088/1048576 = 5988 blocks.

You use 5990 blocks in the command above.

Where did the extra two blocks come from? Is there a one block overhead per partition?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Example:

[root@archlinux audiolinux]# fdisk -l -u=cylinders /dev/sde 
Disk /dev/sde: 28.7 GiB, 30752000000 bytes, 60062500 sectors 
Disk model: Ultra USB 3.0    
Geometry: 64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 29327 cylinders
Units: cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 524A1828-2002-4187-B469-3E7A2DE53ED0

Device     Start   End  Size Type 
/dev/sde1      2   489  488M EFI System
/dev/sde2    490  5989  5.4G Linux filesystem

bs is the bytes number and count is the end of second partition +1: bs=1048576 count=5990

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

18 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Example:

[root@archlinux audiolinux]# fdisk -l -u=cylinders /dev/sde 
Disk /dev/sde: 28.7 GiB, 30752000000 bytes, 60062500 sectors 
Disk model: Ultra USB 3.0    
Geometry: 64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 29327 cylinders
Units: cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 524A1828-2002-4187-B469-3E7A2DE53ED0

Device     Start   End  Size Type 
/dev/sde1      2   489  488M EFI System
/dev/sde2    490  5989  5.4G Linux filesystem

bs is the bytes number and count is the end of second partition +1: bs=1048576 count=5990

Got it. Thanks. So dd starts the count at cylinder one of course!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I’m trying to stream Tidal with IPeng App to my CJYH diskless with Squeezelite+LMS on this machine only.

I have installed LMS and Squeezelite and started the services and rebooted.

But then I open Ipeng on my IPAD and click PlayerName I see audiolinux for a short while and then it disappear and it says “No Players and Music Sources (Servers) found. 

I did register ny IPAD on mysqueezebox.com and added Tidal app and some radiostations here.

Do I need to add a plugin on AL headless (0.8) and how?

I have the Ipeng app, but do I need to buy Ipeng UE also?

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

So dd starts the count at cylinder one of course!

The first cylinder is at offset 0.  So we want offset 0 through offset 5989 which is a total of 5990 cylinders.  I think we're saying the same thing.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

7 hours ago, rickca said:

@ray-dude thank you so much for taking the time to document those procedures in detail.  It's extremely helpful.

I was just thinking that it would be useful to find out exactly what various menu items do under the covers.  It's a very good way to learn.

I should have mentioned it (for future folks searching the thread), but the "what does ramsave do" example I gave wasn't an idle one.  I've been experimenting with having my music library in memory on my 7i7DNKE and lost it after an upgrade/reboot (huh).  

Turns out I had put the local library in /media/music (adjacent to /media/samba, which is where I mounted my music share from my Mac mini server).  Diving into the ramsave script, I saw that the /media directory is excluded from the rsync process that copies things back to the USB stick.

Moved my local music directory to the root directory, and problem solved (without having to pester Piero ;)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

@ray-dude there are tons of Linux primers out there.  Is there one you recommend to more fully understand what is going on under the covers of the menu items?  I don't want a reference 'bible' kind of book, but rather one that highlights the commands and procedures we are likely to use with AL without getting too sophisticated.  I have a good background in programming (started with 370 assembler and principles of operation).  I even taught undergrad Computer Science at a university.  But that was lightyears ago.

1 hour ago, Monge said:

I’m trying to stream Tidal with IPeng App to my CJYH diskless with Squeezelite+LMS on this machine only.

I have installed LMS and Squeezelite and started the services and rebooted.

But then I open Ipeng on my IPAD and click PlayerName I see audiolinux for a short while and then it disappear and it says “No Players and Music Sources (Servers) found. 

I did register ny IPAD on mysqueezebox.com and added Tidal app and some radiostations here.

Do I need to add a plugin on AL headless (0.8) and how?

I have the Ipeng app, but do I need to buy Ipeng UE also?

Did you configure squeezelite by:

• running squeezelite -l to identify the name of the audio device,
  • then, editing the squeezelite.conf file to match that name? 

As far as I know, this is a manual step that needs to be done.

35 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Did you configure squeezelite by:

• running squeezelite -l to identify the name of the audio device,
  • then, editing the squeezelite.conf file to match that name? 

As far as I know, this is a manual step that needs to be done.

No I did not. Thanks I’ll try that.

4 minutes ago, Monge said:

No I did not. Thanks I’ll try that.

Absolutely necessary.  Until you do that and connect your DAC, systemctl status squeezelite will show you that squeezelite is inactive.  I learned this from Rajiv!

Getting setup for NUC testing.  I have the NUC7i7DNBE  board on order from SimplyNUC (I hope) and the Asaka X7D is also ordered. I have the license for AL... I wanted to ask about RAM for Headless endpoint. I have not ordered it yet. I have seen a couple of references to 4GB and some that say 16Gb.  I am slightly confused.  I also need some USB sticks just to be safe.  32gb overkill?

The plan is to test A/B with my UltraRendu.  I will be using my JS-2 Power supply and if I need I have an LPS-1.2.  

This feels like we need an AL/NUC Wiki???  I can try to host one if we need.

@bobfa you should probably specify what audio software you plan to run on your NUC.

5 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Getting setup for NUC testing.  I have the NUC7i7DNBE  board on order from SimplyNUC (I hope) and the Asaka X7D is also ordered. I have the license for AL... I wanted to ask about RAM for Headless endpoint. I have not ordered it yet. I have seen a couple of references to 4GB and some that say 16Gb.  I am slightly confused.  I also need some USB sticks just to be safe.  32gb overkill?

The plan is to test A/B with my UltraRendu.  I will be using my JS-2 Power supply and if I need I have an LPS-1.2.  

This feels like we need an AL/NUC Wiki???  I can try to host one if we need.

Bob,

Here's the rationale about RAM:

• More memory consumes more power
    • more noise
    • more demand from PSU
  • Roon Bridge seems to run fine on just 4GB RAM, even with AL booted into RAM
  • I use 8GB, because it enables me to experiment with up to 4GB of buffer space for squeezelite
  • I see no reason to go beyond 8GB for an endpoint for now.

As for USB sticks, yes definitely get a few spares. I have had good luck with these: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Flair-Flash-Drive/dp/B015CH1JIW

I look forward to your findings! Please post your listening impressions comparing with the UR over on the novel thread.

2 hours ago, rickca said:

@ray-dude there are tons of Linux primers out there.  Is there one you recommend to more fully understand what is going on under the covers of the menu items?  I don't want a reference 'bible' kind of book, but rather one that highlights the commands and procedures we are likely to use with AL without getting too sophisticated.  I have a good background in programming (started with 370 assembler and principles of operation).  I even taught undergrad Computer Science at a university.  But that was lightyears ago.

I'm sure there are but I haven't looked for one.  I have a basic Unix background from 30 years ago (yikes!), so I can suss out man pages and unwind shell scripts.  For me everything else has been google, and trying stuff at the command line (and keeping a cheat sheet up to date!)

By convention, most Unix apps have a -h (help) flag (for example "squeezelite -h"), and/or a man (manual) page (for example, "man dd").  Most of the visible things Piero has done with AL has been with shell scripts, so you can use "more" or your text editor of choice (I use nano) to look at files.

A bonus when you're running in ram mode and have the USB stick removed: no matter how badly you mess up, you're a reboot away from a clean start!

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

2 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

By convention, most Unix apps have a -h (help) flag (for example "squeezelite -h"), and/or a man (manual) page (for example, "man dd").

Yeah I just find I lose the forest for the trees when navigating amongst man pages, and I've forgotten sed/awk and regular expressions.  No problem, I'll probaby get one of the O'Reilly series I used to have.  I never expected to need (or want) them again!

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Bob,

Here's the rationale about RAM:

• More memory consumes more power
    • more noise
    • more demand from PSU
  • Roon Bridge seems to run fine on just 4GB RAM, even with AL booted into RAM
  • I use 8GB, because it enables me to experiment with up to 4GB of buffer space for squeezelite
  • I see no reason to go beyond 8GB for an endpoint for now.

As for USB sticks, yes definitely get a few spares. I have had good luck with these: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Flair-Flash-Drive/dp/B015CH1JIW

I look forward to your findings! Please post your listening impressions comparing with the UR over on the novel thread.

Rajiv,

Thanks for the info.  I am finishing up my Amazon order now. 

I will report over on the SQ thread.  I am excited about this.  

Bob

I have a NUC7i7BNH that was a ROON ROCK server at one point it is now on Windows 10.  I am going to use it to build up my AL setup and test the basics.  Should help me fill the space while waiting for my NUC/Endpoint hardware to arrive.

I will also use it as a AL ROON server testBED.

Updating BIOS and Windows now....

Quick question for those that have been playing with LMS as their music server.  I'm finding it plays much nicer with the squeezelite end point vs Roon Server, but I would like to do an apples to apples comparison.

Which processes are folks singling out to include in /opt/rtapp/rtapp.conf to give the server process realtime priority?  It seems to be running as a daemon, with a lot of subprocesses,, but I'm getting a bit lost tracking them down to see which should have a priority boost.